~*~ SMF January 2017 Challenge - Gradient Layer! ~*~
~ January 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > Classifieds Forum > Shopping Recommendations > Looking for Fragrances

Old 12-28-2016, 04:46 PM   #1
ajack12

Likes Given: 8

Default Looking for Fragrances

Hello!
I am looking for some new fragrances to use in my lard based soap. I am still in trial and error phase with my soap making and am hesitant to spend much or buy large quantities. I have only used essential oils so far with fairly good results, but am hoping to branch out! (I have found that the high amounts of lard in the recipe requires a high concentration of fragrance to cover up the "fat" smell )

Has anyone tried the Hobby Lobby brands? Do you have a favorite supplier that sells small quantities?!

TIA

Old 12-28-2016, 05:01 PM   #2
dixiedragon

Liked 2762 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 1233

Don't use Hobby Lobby fragrances (FOs) in CP (cold process) soap. They are meant for MP (melt and pour) and the lye will gobble them up!

I love Brambleberry, Nature's Garden Candles, Nurture Soap and Majestic Mountain Sage. They are soap people and test their fragrances in soap and report reliably about how they perform. I prefer to buy from companies who show pictures of how a fragrance or color performs in cold process soap.

Essential Oils - I really like Camden Grey

People Like This 
Old 12-28-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
Steve85569
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1054 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 895

I have had good luck with lemon grass EO. Sticks well and is pleasant.
A lot of the Hobby Lobby fragrances are intended for M&P soaps and will produce soap on a stick in CP. That was an interesting experience for me just before I found this forum.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200513122010...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Is a link to my last purch se of lemon grass EO.

Also try not to over heat the lard when melting it. It only needs to be liquid since we are not cooking with it.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
lsg
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 2704 Times on 1941 Posts
Likes Given: 176

I don't use high concentrations to cover any lard smell. Unless your lard is rendered at a high temp or heated to a high temp. it shouldn't smell much. Any odor in my cp soap has faded over time. I would not use Hobby Lobby fragrances as they are probably not good quality and may not be for cp soap. Try Natures Garden, they have 1 oz fragrances for $2.99. They also have a reward points program.

Be somebody who makes everybody feel like a somebody.
ibct1969 Likes This 
Old 12-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
mx6inpenn

Liked 192 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I'll second nature's garden. They also have a discount on 10 samples.

Another I like a lot is nurture soap.

If you buy samples and don't like them, you are only out a little bit. I always get a sample to test and if the family likes it well enough, I'll order a larger size the next time. I've tried many many different ones and only use 4 or 5 regularly. Of course, I can't help but keep trying new ones.

Eta: Almost forgot... I use high lard in most of my recipes. Any slight piggy smell is gone by the end of cure. Just heat enough to melt as already mentioned.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #6
dixiedragon

Liked 2762 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 1233

Is there a noticeable pork smell in the soap? Is it noticeable to others? I ask b/c some people are just very sensitive to particular smells - I know a lady who doesn't care for high olive oil soap b/c she can smell the olive oil and doesn't like it.

What kind of lard are you using?
Arimara Likes This 
Old 12-28-2016, 07:11 PM   #7
penelopejane

Liked 1153 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 1490

Don't buy a large amount of FO on someone else's recommendation. Scent is a highly personal thing, I have found.

Of course read all the reviews and listen to recommendations but try a small bottle first to see if YOU like it.

Last edited by penelopejane; 12-28-2016 at 09:13 PM.
People Like This 
Old 12-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #8
dibbles
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1244 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 1533

I agree with all of the above. I'd also add Mad Oils to the list. If you can post what types of scents you like (or don't like), you might get a few recommendations, but as mentioned, scent is a personal thing. I would read reviews for any that you are considering, as they will often mention if the FO accelerates or causes any other issues. As a rule, florals, rain/ocean and some spices can be problematic.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:41 PM   #9
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 904 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 768

Regarding the lard odor: I have noticed some brands seem to have a much stronger and offensive-to-me odor. My nose is usually pretty sensitive, but I am also a vegetarian so anything meaty smells pretty strong to me anyway. It just is. Some people have a super strong sense of smell while others do not. There are so many variables when it comes to perceptions of odors/fragrance, including altered body chemistry (as many pregnant women or people on certain drugs can attest.)

People here told me that if I waited the lard odor would dissipate and I wouldn't even be able to smell it anymore after cure. Well, I don't find that to necessarily be the case. I can still smell the lard in a soap I made for my brother 6 months ago. I think lard soap is cured by 6 months, right? Anyway, that was unscented AND made with a brand of lard that I have since realized is one of the strongest smelling of any I have tried so far. I have read also that it could have been a 'bad' batch of lard, but I have bought that brand since and found it really does have a stronger odor. I've bought 3 different brands so far and that one remains the strongest. I have seen all 3 at WalMarts, not my local very-small store, but different ones across the country (USA). So I guess it depends on where you live which one is available to you. I wish I could remember which one it was, but I don't. All I know is it was a 1-pound container because I didn't want to risk buying more if it didn't turn out to be something I could tolerate doing. Well, and I know it was NOT the blue boxed (Morrell Snow Cap) one, because that is not available near me, and I didn't try it until months later while traveling.

I have since used fragrances to try and hide the odor, and it does seem to help a little bit, but I didn't even find that to be reliable. Sometimes fragrance doesn't hide an odor. What I think helps better is to avoid the brand I discovered I don't like the odor of in the first place.

The jury (me) is still out on using lard in soaps, because I am not yet convinced even though there are loads of soapers here who swear by using lard in their soaps. But I decided to give it a try for the sake of producing a soap that some of my family who don't really care about 'vegetarian-friendly' stuff would like. I can tell you that even among some of my family who are not vegetarian, some cannot abide the odor.
People Like This 
Old 12-29-2016, 12:02 AM   #10
ajack12

Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedragon View Post
Is there a noticeable pork smell in the soap? Is it noticeable to others? I ask b/c some people are just very sensitive to particular smells - I know a lady who doesn't care for high olive oil soap b/c she can smell the olive oil and doesn't like it.

What kind of lard are you using?
My family raises heritage pigs that eat and live much differently than those of your typical pork pig, lots of acreage to wander about and play. The pork tastes different than store bough due to their happy life style and I am a bit worried the lard may be affected too. We get the lard rendered by the local butcher then back in jars.

I tried hot process this afternoon and brambleberry's fragrance calculator with peppermint EO, keeping my fingers crossed.

I really appreciate everyone's responses, I will be spending the rest of the evening checking out all the websites!!