~*~ SMF March 2017 Challenge - Black Background Soaps! ~*~
~ Last Look At February 2017 Challenge Photo Entries ~

Soap Making Forum > Classifieds Forum > Shopping Recommendations > Any feedback about this CO?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2016, 04:18 AM   #1
wearytraveler
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 162
Liked 77 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Any feedback about this CO?

I realized I'm running low on coconut oil and I usually get a gallon at a time since I only make soap for myself and family/friends. I saw this for a decent price (https://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organi...nut%2Boil&th=1) and wondered if anyone here thinks it's a good buy.

Thanks!


wearytraveler is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:28 AM   #2
lenarenee
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,074
Liked 1539 Times on 835 Posts
Likes Given: 573

Default

Is that price right? Nutiva is usually extremely expensive - so grab it! It's the brand I often buy to cook with and is usually pearly white and simply gorgeous.

ETA: I get food grade but cheap looking co from Big Lots for 12 bucks a gallon. There's nothing wrong with it but I am disappointed with its yellow tinged color. A gallon of Nutiva
at Costco in S CA. was about 42 dollars last time I DIDN'T buy it.



Last edited by lenarenee; 12-25-2016 at 04:32 AM.
lenarenee is offline  
wearytraveler Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:57 AM   #3
wearytraveler
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 162
Liked 77 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Price is correct. Not sure why it's lower than this one (https://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Refine...on+coconut+oil) which is closer to what you quoted.
wearytraveler is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:01 AM   #4
Steve85569
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png
 
Steve85569's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: North East Oregon, USA
Posts: 1,213
Liked 1149 Times on 561 Posts
Likes Given: 1006

Default

http://www.snappypopcorn.com/store/p...t-Oil-4p60.htm

If you are stocking up. Lasts me just over a year.
__________________
Lardinator in training.
Steve85569 is offline  
wearytraveler Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:13 AM   #5
wearytraveler
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 162
Liked 77 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Thanks for that link. If I made lots of soap I'd definitely jump on that as the price is better than Amazon. However, I am actually just about to run out of my one gallon Snappy and was looking to try something different. I make about 10 - 12 batches per year and I use less CO in my recipe than what is commonly used so one gallon is perfect for me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85569 View Post
http://www.snappypopcorn.com/store/p...t-Oil-4p60.htm

If you are stocking up. Lasts me just over a year.
wearytraveler is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:46 AM   #6
susiefreckleface
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png
 
susiefreckleface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: So Cal
Posts: 69
Liked 35 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenarenee View Post
Is that price right? Nutiva is usually extremely expensive - so grab it! It's the brand I often buy to cook with and is usually pearly white and simply gorgeous.

ETA: I get food grade but cheap looking co from Big Lots for 12 bucks a gallon. There's nothing wrong with it but I am disappointed with its yellow tinged color. A gallon of Nutiva
at Costco in S CA. was about 42 dollars last time I DIDN'T buy it.
Here, the local Winco has the Better Body CO at $9.98(usually $11 something) 56 oz /1.75qt /1.6L
The Big Lots Butcher Boy CO 60 oz container $7.50 They are the exact same container. The fill line on the Butcher Boy is nearly to the top and the Better Body is just below the neck of the jar. Both are non GMO certified.
__________________
Suz
susiefreckleface is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:25 AM   #7
mommycarlson
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png
 
mommycarlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Iowa
Posts: 314
Liked 163 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Default

My granddaughter has a peanut allergy, the Nutiva oil says it's bottled in a facility that also bottles peanut oil, anyone know if any peanut cross contamination would survive the soaping process?
mommycarlson is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:30 AM   #8
Scooter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NC
Posts: 529
Liked 168 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearytraveler View Post
Thanks for that link. If I made lots of soap I'd definitely jump on that as the price is better than Amazon. However, I am actually just about to run out of my one gallon Snappy and was looking to try something different. I make about 10 - 12 batches per year and I use less CO in my recipe than what is commonly used so one gallon is perfect for me.
This is just my opinion, FWIW, but any time I see a price on Amazon that seems too good to be true, I take a long, hard look at the seller, assuming it is not Amazon or the original manufacturer.

Scooter
Scooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:33 AM   #9
mommycarlson
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png
 
mommycarlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Iowa
Posts: 314
Liked 163 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Default

It says it's shipped from and sold by Amazon
mommycarlson is online now  
Scooter Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #10
houseofwool
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,158
Liked 696 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycarlson View Post
My granddaughter has a peanut allergy, the Nutiva oil says it's bottled in a facility that also bottles peanut oil, anyone know if any peanut cross contamination would survive the soaping process?


I believe any potential peanut proteins that could have contaminated the product would survive saponification.


houseofwool is offline  
Arimara Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BB FOs... feedback please meeplesoap Fragrance Oils/Fragrance reviews 7 07-01-2013 04:14 PM
got my first feedback :D Rosey Lye-Based Soap Forum 11 08-18-2009 02:04 AM
Feedback? stepibarra Lye-Based Soap Forum 4 07-25-2008 08:11 PM
I need some feedback please LaurieH Recipe Feedback 1 04-05-2008 09:01 PM
Feedback! Incrtalent General Business Forum 3 07-31-2007 07:57 PM





Newest Threads