~*~ SMF May 2017 Challenge - Fluid Acrylic Cell Pour!! ~*~
~ May 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Soap Making Recipes & Tutorials > Using apple cider in soap?

Old 10-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #11
dixiedragon

Liked 3293 Times on 1908 Posts
Likes Given: 1458

I think the pumpkin may cause soft soap b/c it does not BECOME soap - it's just in there. That recipe you were asking about on the "favorite recipes" thread - to me that looks like way too much pumpkin.

People Like This 
Old 10-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #12
Desirae

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedragon View Post
Adding after trace comes from a soaping superstition (that has been scientifically disproven by Kevin Dunne, among others, IIRC), that waiting until trace means the lye is mostly used up and it will protect special ingredients from the lye monster. Even though it's been disproven, it was one of the "rules" of soaping for a long time so many people just stick with it.

I haven't made a lot of pumpkin soap so I'm no expert. But what I do is 1 teaspoon PPO (per pound of oils) of canned pumpkin puree. Check it see if you have 100% Pumpkin or the Pumpkin Pie Mix.

Libby's Pumpkin Pie Mix ingredients:
Ingredients: Pumpkin, Water, Sugar, Salt, Spices, Dextrose, Natural Flavors.

This would probably be fine to use it soap, I would just pay more attention to it b/c the sugar could cause it to overheat, the salt could cause it to thicken up quickly and the natural flavors could do both of those or something else entirely. I personally always use the 100% Pumpkin b/c I actually don't like to eat pumpkin and if I make pumpkin soap the dogs get the rest of the can. (which is very good for dogs with digestive issues, BTW.)
Thank you for all that input, so since it's all be disproven, I won't waste time or ingredients adding after trace and such, and thank you for that bit for dogs, now for that where would you find 100% pumpkin puree as apposed to the lobby can?

Old 10-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #13
shunt2011
SOAP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4267 Times on 2853 Posts
Likes Given: 3416

I have only used pumpkin puree not the pie mix. I add about a 1/2 cup in my 6 lb batch. I add it to my oils before the lye mixture and have not had any issues with it. I love pumpkin and make smoothies, drinks and dog treats with it so I usually make my soap and then use the remainder for something else. Just subtract the amount of pumpkin from you liquid amount.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:25 PM   #14
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4388 Times on 2596 Posts
Likes Given: 874

I make pumpkin puree soap in the fall every year, and it is not a soft soap. The following link is a good tutorial for pumpkin puree soap although it is not my recipe, I did start with it when I first started using purees. It makes a nice soap https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-b...rocess-soap-2/

Forgot to mention I have made soap with hard cider, but then what have I not made soap with. I treat it like wine and be very careful, some hard ciders have a high alcohol content. I cook off the alcohol and use it for half my liquid. I add my 50:50 lye solution slowly to the oils sb a couple seconds then slowly add in the hard apple cider. I have never had a volcano, with this method but still use a larger mixing bucket just in case.

Last edited by cmzaha; 10-14-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Arimara Likes This 
Old 10-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #15
Arimara

Liked 1065 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 3515

My soap was soft due to some mistakes made I'm sure.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:44 AM   #16
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1551 Times on 784 Posts
Likes Given: 1266

I have not used apple cider, but I have used carrot juice in place of water in soap. It's really mostly water as are all liquid drinks you can use in soap. Since I don't like high Coconut Oil content in my soap, adding natural or organic drinks (no added sugar) to my soap helps with the bubbles, or so it seems. Plus it's fun experimenting. I have also used pureed carrots, but in minimal amounts as a little goes a long way. I'd share my carrot soap recipe, but my computer is currently on the fritz and I cannot access the files from this device atm.

FYI, the color from carrots fades from the outer surfaces of the soap. There is no associated scent from any food item I have added to soap. A couple of nights ago I added pureed avocado to soap along with a green mica because in my experience avocado turns brownish in soap. But for now, it's a lovely sort of celery green. I expect it may darken a bit, but if not I will be very happy with this color.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #17
Obsidian

Liked 4200 Times on 2489 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Look for the Libby canned pumpkin, it's just plain pumpkin. The premade pumpkin pie mix is the stiff to stay away from.
Other option is to buy a small pumpkin, bake it then pour the cooked meat. I would stain it through a sieve too.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:18 PM   #18
Desirae

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlene View Post
I have not used apple cider, but I have used carrot juice in place of water in soap. It's really mostly water as are all liquid drinks you can use in soap. Since I don't like high Coconut Oil content in my soap, adding natural or organic drinks (no added sugar) to my soap helps with the bubbles, or so it seems. Plus it's fun experimenting. I have also used pureed carrots, but in minimal amounts as a little goes a long way. I'd share my carrot soap recipe, but my computer is currently on the fritz and I cannot access the files from this device atm.

FYI, the color from carrots fades from the outer surfaces of the soap. There is no associated scent from any food item I have added to soap. A couple of nights ago I added pureed avocado to soap along with a green mica because in my experience avocado turns brownish in soap. But for now, it's a lovely sort of celery green. I expect it may darken a bit, but if not I will be very happy with this color.
Are there any food/drink products that have a great scent on its own that can be used in soap that will STILL retain that great scent, or is it all eaten by the lye?

Old 10-15-2016, 05:20 PM   #19
Desirae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
Look for the Libby canned pumpkin, it's just plain pumpkin. The premade pumpkin pie mix is the stiff to stay away from.
Other option is to buy a small pumpkin, bake it then pour the cooked meat. I would stain it through a sieve too.
I do have the libby can in my fridge speak of the devil lol, I've heard of the word sieve but what is it, what does it look like and where would I buy one? I was at Walmart and target yesterday and every employee I asked looked at me like I was talking gibberish and had no clue what it was or where to find it, I know it's related to straining but does it look like cheesecloth

Old 10-15-2016, 05:26 PM   #20
mx6inpenn

Liked 447 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desirae View Post
I do have the libby can in my fridge speak of the devil lol, I've heard of the word sieve but what is it, what does it look like and where would I buy one? I was at Walmart and target yesterday and every employee I asked looked at me like I was talking gibberish and had no clue what it was or where to find it, I know it's related to straining but does it look like cheesecloth
It's really just a small colander with wire mesh.