~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Soap Making Recipes & Tutorials > Fluid hot process soap

Old 09-24-2016, 07:41 AM   #1
shaan

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts

Default Fluid hot process soap

Has anyone tried this method? I tried this method but it did not work well when i wanted to make the soap colorful. I don't have a big oven,so placing containers in it is not possible. Do we need to cook it completely before adding yogurt? Any alternative to yogurt?

Old 09-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #2
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8300 Times on 3971 Posts
Likes Given: 3826

Can you link to what you mean? There are various "new" hot process methods which promise the world and they often have mixed names so knowing which one is which can be hard without a reference point

People Like This 
Old 09-24-2016, 01:02 PM   #3
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7862 Times on 4328 Posts
Likes Given: 16533

Adding yogurt after the cook seems a really effective way to get bacteria growing in soap to me. Just saying.

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”― Mark Twain
People Like This 
Old 09-24-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
topofmurrayhill

Liked 1386 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaan View Post
Has anyone tried this method? I tried this method but it did not work well when i wanted to make the soap colorful. I don't have a big oven,so placing containers in it is not possible. Do we need to cook it completely before adding yogurt? Any alternative to yogurt?
A friend of mine does beautifully marbled soap with this method using a 3 or 4 color in-the-pot swirl (one color being uncolored soap). However, even with the yogurt you might have some trouble with the colors if you don't have the means to prevent the soap from cooling off too quickly.

You have to cook it to a smooth consistency, but no you don't have to cook it completely. Any HP will just as happily finish saponifying in the mold if you take it most of the way there. If you mold it early, you do lose the ability to add the superfat of your choice and completely control the outcome, but that is an overrated feature of HP.

Yogurt, for reasons unknown, is very effective for fluid HP. I don't think anything is known (yet) to be as effective that doesn't have some drastic effect on the soap. One soapmaker demonstrates a fluid HP using glycerin and sugar syrup, which makes a translucent and soft/rubbery soap. I don't recommend it. Though I'm personally not a fan of dairy products in my soap, it does come out just fine with the yogurt.

Sodium lactate is also known to make HP more fluid. You can use both SL and yogurt if you like.
Attached Thumbnails
370.jpg   378.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 09-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #5
shaan

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Efficacious Gentleman View Post
Can you link to what you mean? There are various "new" hot process methods which promise the world and they often have mixed names so knowing which one is which can be hard without a reference point
I saw a video on you tube. She cooked the soap in crockpot,added yogurt and it became smooth. Then separated to add colors and placed those in pre heated oven to keep them fluid.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:48 PM   #6

In which case I wonder if the SL alone would be enough to make it smooth for this?
People Like This 
Old 09-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #7
Lion Of Judah

Liked 299 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 2519

if i remember correctly this is the same 10 minute hot process soap technique (a.k.a SBHP ) that passed through this form summer of last year i think it was .... it hinged on adding yogurt to it to get a fluid batch // it was a hotly debated topic both here and on facebook

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/archi...p/t-55609.html

if i am wrong please correct me

E.T.A :

Janeau Lioni

Last edited by Lion Of Judah; 09-24-2016 at 03:58 PM.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:53 PM   #8
Arimara
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1236 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Efficacious Gentleman View Post
In which case I wonder if the SL alone would be enough to make it smooth for this?
Same here. If I can be lazy and NOT spend my money on yogurt better used to be in my belly, I would be fine.
People Like This 
Old 09-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #9

Aye. But then I am thinking at the SL after the cook is key. I often added it to my hp batches at the start of the process, but at the end it might be better for fluidity
Arimara Likes This 
Old 09-24-2016, 04:36 PM   #10
TeresaT

Liked 2364 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 3545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Of Judah View Post
if i remember correctly this is the same 10 minute hot process soap technique (a.k.a SBHP ) that passed through this form summer of last year i think it was .... it hinged on adding yogurt to it to get a fluid batch // it was a hotly debated topic both here and on facebook

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/archi...p/t-55609.html

if i am wrong please correct me

E.T.A : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG9qz3IV9_M
I couldn't watch the video past the 2:26 mark. There were too many "ums" and "uhs" for me to get through it. Major pet peeve of mine! Oh my gosh. EDIT THAT CRAP. (OK. Sorry. Rant over.)

People Like This