~*~ SMF February 2017 Challenge - Ebru Soaps! ~*~
~ February 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Candle Making Forum > candle tins 8 oz

Old 09-15-2016, 04:15 AM   #1
sallyb86

Likes Given: 6

Default candle tins 8 oz

Hi,
I'm looking at making candles for my wedding favours and would love some advice. I have looked for resources online but would love some help please. I'm trying to decide between 6 oz and 8 oz seamless tin and I think I will go with the 8 as the 6 might be to small? is 8 ounce a common size to use? How do i work out the fill line for the candle tin? how much wax would I need to make 96 tins? how do I figure out the essential oil to wax ratio? I was going to use the GW-464 wax.
Any advice would be so appreciated. Thank you.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
TBandCW

Liked 221 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Here is a link to candle science tins. It tells you how much wax to use. Most companies will give you this info on their website. And tell you how much fo or eo to use in the fragrance section.

http://https://www.candlescience.com...8oz-candle-tin

Old 09-15-2016, 11:44 PM   #3
McMomWV

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I just made 130 8-oz tin candles for my step daughters wedding. I bought the tins from candle science and poured 4.8 oz of wax into each. There is a line around the tin that holds the lid. I used that as the pour to line.
You will probably use about 29 pounds of wax. I use 1.5 ounces of fragrance oil per pound of wax. Depending on scent throw, you can use as little as one ounce per pound of wax. Make a test candle and burn it to see if you are happy with the scent throw.
The candles were a big hit. Good luck and congratulations.
sallyb86 Likes This 
Old 09-16-2016, 12:23 AM   #4
HappyGoNaturally

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Just looking around, I spotted these white tins, they're pretty ...
http://www.papermart.com/White-Deep-...id=89269#89269

This domed lid type is different too (nice finish to them, I think) ...
http://www.papermart.com/dome-top-ro...id=20960#20960

Last edited by HappyGoNaturally; 09-16-2016 at 12:33 AM.
sallyb86 Likes This 
Old 09-16-2016, 07:41 PM   #5
TBandCW

Liked 221 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Don't forget to check on the wick size too!
Old 09-16-2016, 07:51 PM   #6
HappyGoNaturally

What would you use in those?

I haven't made or test burned any soy containers in tins, only glass.
Cotton square braid has been working nicely for me; for a 3" candle, I'd use a #2 if I was pouring into a jar.
I'm wondering if there is a difference in burning in a metal container since I've never done it!
I guess I'd better pour myself a candle in a can to see how I like it, as I've been thinking about purchasing some 4 or 6 oz. seamless tins!

I read a nice post somewhere here, I'm sorry I don't have the link, but it was so well-said about using diffusers for essential oils and to use fragrance oils for candles. I agree with that opinion, as the f/o's are designed for burning, whereas e/o's aren't really.
sallyb86 Likes This 
Old 09-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #7
topofmurrayhill
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1351 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyb86 View Post
Hi,
I'm looking at making candles for my wedding favours and would love some advice. I have looked for resources online but would love some help please. I'm trying to decide between 6 oz and 8 oz seamless tin and I think I will go with the 8 as the 6 might be to small? is 8 ounce a common size to use? How do i work out the fill line for the candle tin? how much wax would I need to make 96 tins? how do I figure out the essential oil to wax ratio? I was going to use the GW-464 wax.
Any advice would be so appreciated. Thank you.
Don't try to use EOs as candle fragrances. Use a fragrance oil. 1.5 oz ppw (about 9%) is a typical usage rate for soy wax, which can have less throw than paraffin-based blends.

Testing is important before you make a lot of these or give any away.

Be sure to make testers with different wick sizes and burn them to the bottom, to make sure the candles you make work properly and are safe. Burn about 3 hours per session, maybe 2x per day with time to cool off completely. Get the wick sizes in small quantities until you figure out what size you need.

You generally don't need a full melt pool (wax melting out to the sides) on the first burn, and certainly not a deep one. You only want any wax hung up on the sides to melt by the time the candle is completely burned, but this is actually easy with tins because the metal conducts heat so well.

The easiest mistake to make with tins is over-wicking. A distinguishing feature of tins versus jars is that they can get very hot and sooty at the bottom. The wick that seems perfect at first is almost certainly too big, so it's important to test all the way down. This applies to jars too, but it's more dramatic with tins.

You will want to use pre-tabbed wicks for this project. Personally I would go with CD wicks (not CDN!), which are available from Lone Star, Nature's Garden and others.
People Like This 
Old 09-16-2016, 10:29 PM   #8
HappyGoNaturally

Since SallyB hasn't come back yet, I hope no one will mind any of my input or questions in this topic, but since I've been considering getting some metal containers to make as gifts, this topic is interesting to me. I was thinking that the metal container is going to heat up more than glass, as a matter of fact, a few days ago, I found a 3" tin and secured a CD-10 in the bottom of it with a plan to pour it this weekend.

For a container that is 3"+ diameter, I think this would be the right size, except for that I'm not sure in regard to a metal container. I just got these in last week and I've never burned CD's before, so this will be interesting for me!

I'd like to add that the comment regarding when the wax gets to the bottom there are concerns, that perhaps purchasing wicks with a longer tab stem would be safer. I normally buy my wicking and tab it/wax it myself for custom lengths, but there is the convenience factor of pre-tabbed/waxed wicks -- the CD's I bought are tabbed/waxed, although I'm not sure if they were waxed in soy or not -- doesn't matter much to me though at this point. After I test burn (when weather cools down), I'll post.

I'm also curious as to why people are preferring the GW464 to the GW444? From what I understand, the latter holds more scent, with the 464 having better adhesion, yet with tins, that doesn't matter so much, as you're not going to see any wet-spots, etc.

Quote: "The easiest mistake to make with tins is over-wicking."

A very good thing to know, imo!!

Last edited by HappyGoNaturally; 09-16-2016 at 10:31 PM.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:24 AM   #9
topofmurrayhill
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1351 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoNaturally View Post
Since SallyB hasn't come back yet, I hope no one will mind any of my input or questions in this topic, but since I've been considering getting some metal containers to make as gifts, this topic is interesting to me. I was thinking that the metal container is going to heat up more than glass, as a matter of fact, a few days ago, I found a 3" tin and secured a CD-10 in the bottom of it with a plan to pour it this weekend.

For a container that is 3"+ diameter, I think this would be the right size, except for that I'm not sure in regard to a metal container. I just got these in last week and I've never burned CD's before, so this will be interesting for me!
Although various factors can change it, I find that CD 8 typically works well in a 3" glass container of typical thickness with 125 MP soy wax. This is based on a wick that burns cleanly, uses all the wax, and doesn't require any manual trimming. But with the same wax and fragrance it would probably still be a little inferno for the final burns of an 8 oz (3") tin. You will want to see some wax hang up on the sides -- it will definitely clean up by the end.
makemineirish Likes This 
Old 09-17-2016, 02:44 AM   #10
HappyGoNaturally

Quote:
Originally Posted by topofmurrayhill View Post
Although various factors can change it, I find that CD 8 typically works well in a 3" glass container of typical thickness with 125 MP soy wax. This is based on a wick that burns cleanly, uses all the wax, and doesn't require any manual trimming. But with the same wax and fragrance it would probably still be a little inferno for the final burns of an 8 oz (3") tin. You will want to see some wax hang up on the sides -- it will definitely clean up by the end.
It'll be interesting for me to test a CD wick -- I see in some recommendations that a CD-8 is noted for a 2.5-3" and a CD-10 for a 3-3.5". If you're to "wick down" for tins, I think perhaps the CD-10's I got might be a little too much for a 3" (2-7/8") tin.

I see that the GW444 is a 119-125 mp; the GW464 is a 113-119 mp -- so maybe either a CD-8 or 10 could be alright for GW444; but, my guess, based on some of the information you've provided, is that possibly in a 2-7/8" metal container a CD-7 might be a safer option ...? It's recommended for approx. 2.25 - 2.5" containers, but the wicking guidelines never mention anything about metal containers possibly requiring a smaller wick.

Test-burning, as has been mentioned, is not an option -- it's a must!

topofmurrayhill Likes This