~*~ SMF July 2017 Challenge - Mermaid Tail Soaps! ~*~
~ July 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > General Chat > I finally have room for a veggie garden!

Old 09-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #21
Ruthie

Liked 737 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 1718

Hey, it's time to take some of that kale and make you a smoothie!! JS! lol

Old 09-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #22
TeresaT
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2340 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 3539

First of all, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm KALE!!!! OK, I feel better now.

IL, that is one amazing set up!! I've seen tower planting before (and toyed with the idea of it) including one that has vermicomposting in the center. However, I have never seen this thing. When I first saw it, I wondered if it had the vermicomposting center, then I read more posts and watched the video. Holy guacamole! That is some amazing growth you've got going on there. You will have fresh veggies and greens coming out of your ears with that thing. Earlene is right; I love the fact that you are all techie and sciency with your gardening as with your soaping. Although it makes perfect sense to label the individual slots so you know what plant is where, you totally went above and beyond with measuring the course of the sun to give your plants the best light for their needs. The growth rate is phenomenal, I've never seen anything like that. I'm looking forward to the photos of the whole process. It looks like you can build a plastic greenhouse around it for when it gets cold in your area and supplement the heat with an outdoor safe heater or heating pad to continue growing all year round. You might look into the electric blankets for buckets to see if anything fits your need and temperature range.

Enjoy your bounty. I'll be gardening vicariously through you.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:33 PM   #23
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6623 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 4359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
Hey, it's time to take some of that kale and make you a smoothie!! JS! lol
You betcha! That's one of the reasons why I've wanted my own veggie garden for so long. I'm forever buying kale and/or Swiss chard or other types of greens, as well as fruit and other kinds of veggies like carrots, beets, broccoli, cabbage, etc.. to toss in my smoothies. I'll even toss basil and cilantro in as well.... and fresh ginger. Yes- I am known as the queen of weird smoothies in my household because I toss in whatever veggies or herbs or fruit I happen to have on hand at the moment...except for garlic, onions and peppers, that is. My weirdness does have its limits.

After observing the wonderful progress the plants in our tower have been making, my hubby has recently taken upon himself the task of building a flood and drain-type hydroponic system in which to grow root veggies such as carrots, onions and potatoes (things for which the tower is not suited). That's what he's doing right now as I write this post, actually. I can't tell you how long I've dreamed of having a garden where I could grow such things. This is so awesome to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaT
The growth rate is phenomenal, I've never seen anything like that.
I know, right? When I compared this morning's pics to yesterday's pics, they all seemed to have grown an inch over night!

I really don't do much for the plants except to make sure the reservoir is topped off each morning, take the pH twice a week and adjust if necessary, add the prescribed amount of nutrients every other day, and spray the aphids off my cucumber leaves with a stream of water. Thankfully, the ants don't come near as long as I maintain the dusting of diatomaceous earth around the tower, and the yellow sticky traps are working great at keeping gnats and other flying insects away. I just have to remember to tie my hair back when I'm working near the traps because if I don't, my hair gets stuck to them. lol

IrishLass
People Like This 
Old 09-18-2016, 12:06 PM   #24
Ruthie

Liked 737 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 1718

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post
You betcha! That's one of the reasons why I've wanted my own veggie garden for so long. I'm forever buying kale and/or Swiss chard or other types of greens, as well as fruit and other kinds of veggies like carrots, beets, broccoli, cabbage, etc.. to toss in my smoothies. I'll even toss basil and cilantro in as well.... and fresh ginger. Yes- I am known as the queen of weird smoothies in my household because I toss in whatever veggies or herbs or fruit I happen to have on hand at the moment...except for garlic, onions and peppers, that is. My weirdness does have its limits.

IrishLass
Ooooh! And don't forget avocados! They are the best in smoothies! I eat them straight, though. Just take out that pit and eat them out of the skin. Do you have room for an avocado tree?
Old 09-18-2016, 02:13 PM   #25
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7443 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 15444

Avocado trees can be grown in pots until they are large. And they are dead easy to start. Just take the pit out, poke 4 round toothpicks into it in a "north, south, east, west" configuration around the center, put it into a glass or jar of water, then change the water twice a week. Once it has a root and a stem, transplant into a pot at least 6 inches, but no more than 8, as you DO want to transplant it yearly to give the roots more room to grow, and get fresh soil around the outside.

Oh, and I am dreaming of a fill and drain aquaponics/hydroponics set up using an IBC! How is Mr. IrishLass making his?

Old 09-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #26
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper

Liked 1922 Times on 954 Posts
Likes Given: 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post
Oh, but there is a delicious drink with watermelon and cayenne pepper that helps abate hunger (temporarily, not really for very long) that I just love. If you like spicy, it's great. But watermelons need to be in season.
TeresaT Likes This 
Old 09-18-2016, 05:00 PM   #27
TeresaT
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 2340 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 3539

One of my favorite juices (I don't do smoothies) is kale, cucumber, red peppers, carrots, and tomatoes. If I have any grapes or apples, I toss some in there with it. Red peppers are incredibly high in vitamin C. I usually buy the bag of colorful baby peppers and toss two or three into the juicer, depending on how much of the other stuff I have. Add a dash of pepper sauce and I'm all over it. Yum!

ETA: IL, you can grow potatoes in a bale of straw. My neighbor did it a few years ago and was pretty successful. Either get planting potatoes or let your spuds grow shoots. Stick them in the bale, water. Then reap the harvest. (http://strawbalegardens.com/blog/201...her-way-again/)

Last edited by TeresaT; 09-18-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Susie Likes This 
Old 09-23-2016, 12:20 AM   #28
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Today is Day 20 and my tower experienced it's very first windy rainstorm just about 10 minutes ago. The clouds that have been threatening us for about 2 to 3 fays finally let go and dumped some of the biggest, fattest raindrops I've seen in a while. Thankfully, I had just enough time to run outside and cover over the tower with a protective plant cloth before the brunt of it hit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthie
Ooooh! And don't forget avocados! They are the best in smoothies! I eat them straight, though. Just take out that pit and eat them out of the skin. Do you have room for an avocado tree?
I wish I had room for an avocado tree because I love avocados! I eat them straight or make ice cream out of them or make guacamole, etc... It's all good! Yum! Between our pool and our 2 orange trees, there's just not enough room for another tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie
Oh, and I am dreaming of a fill and drain aquaponics/hydroponics set up using an IBC! How is Mr. IrishLass making his?
Nope- nothing as sophisticated as an aquaponic aspect to what the Mr. is making- it's just a fill and drain hydroponic system using a bell siphon....... and two large Coleman coolers he bought on sale (we're going the low-budget route). He's pretty much done making it- he just needs to test it out first, which he'll be doing this weekend. I'll see about taking some pics and posting them. Hopefully it'll be successful because my carrot seeds spouted last week and I'd like to get them in there as soon as possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlene
Oh, but there is a delicious drink with watermelon and cayenne pepper that helps abate hunger (temporarily, not really for very long) that I just love. If you like spicy, it's great. But watermelons need to be in season.
Oooo- that sounds really good! One of my favorite refreshing drinks to make is watermelon agua fresca, but I never thought to spike it with cayenne. I'll have to try that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa
One of my favorite juices (I don't do smoothies) is kale, cucumber, red peppers, carrots, and tomatoes. If I have any grapes or apples, I toss some in there with it. Red peppers are incredibly high in vitamin C. I usually buy the bag of colorful baby peppers and toss two or three into the juicer, depending on how much of the other stuff I have. Add a dash of pepper sauce and I'm all over it. Yum!
.....ETA: IL, you can grow potatoes in a bale of straw. My neighbor did it a few years ago and was pretty successful. Either get planting potatoes or let your spuds grow shoots. Stick them in the bale, water. Then reap the harvest. (http://strawbalegardens.com/blog/201...her-way-again/)
Oh my gosh- you gals are making me thirsty! That sounds really good! Thanks for the potato link! I'll have a look at it later on tonight.

The harvesting has begun! I've been eating off my tower for the past 4 days now and it doesn't look like I've picked anything off it (it keeps growing back seemingly overnight). I've been pinching off leaves of the kale, chard, basil, mint, lettuce and cilantro every day since Sunday and putting them in my smoothies, and you'd never know it.

You know- it's been a revelation to me how amazingly flavorful fresh-picked veggies and herbs are. The flavor of everything I've tried so far totally blasts the best store-bought stuff right out of the water. My son made some guacamole today with some of the cilantro and the spring onions from the tower and he couldn't believe how pronounced the flavors were and how little he needed to use in order to get the level of flavor he wanted.

Man- we couldn't be more happy with this thing. I would have to say it's one of the best purchases we've ever made!

IrishLass
People Like This 
Old 10-03-2016, 08:16 PM   #29
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

It's Day 31 today, and here is what things look like.....mind you, we harvest from our 'veggie tree' every day for smoothies and other things, but it looks like we never harvest anything at all! It's kinda like how things are when eating a bowl of spaghetti- no matter how much you eat, it looks like you've barely even touched your plate. Besides dubbing it our 'veggie tree', I also sometimes call it our 'giving tree'.

IrishLass
Susie Likes This 
Old 10-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #30
shunt2011
SOAP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4420 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 3566

Wow, that's amazing for sure. Looks wonderful!

IrishLass Likes This