~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At August 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > General Chat > I finally have room for a veggie garden!

Old 09-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #11
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7686 Times on 4244 Posts
Likes Given: 16046

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunt2011 View Post
That looks really awesome. Please let us know how it works for you. I have no luck growing much in our yard and that might be the answer. Especially for tomatoes and zucchini. Your yard looks like it's beautiful too.
For tomatoes, those upside down buckets are wonderful. No staking or tying up. Just hang that bucket up and water every day. If you don't want to go buy something special, you can drill a hole in a 3-5 gallon plastic bucket and plant away.

https://www.amazon.com/Topsy-Upside-...tomato+planter

People Like This 
Old 09-09-2016, 10:46 PM   #12
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6958 Times on 3509 Posts
Likes Given: 4543

Sorry I haven't checked back in until now. On Tuesday I spent all day tracking how the path of the sun was affecting the sun/shade patterns on the plants (every 15 minutes), in order to see if I needed to transfer any of them to better positions in the tower. Turns out my wildfire lettuce was getting a wee bit heat-stressed, poor thing, so I put it in one of the shadier slots and now it's a happy camper and is growing quite beautifully.

In between all of that tracking of the sun on Tuesday, I was also able to fashion a thermal barrier to wrap around the water reservoir to keep the temp of the water from getting too high in our hot weather. Two days before on Sunday, the water temp in the reservoir had reached 97F/36C in spite of me continually placing and re-placing packs of blue ice in it all afternoon. And the next day on Monday my hubby and I were away from home pretty much all day, and when I checked the temp when we got home in the early evening/just after the hottest part of the day, it was a whopping 101F/38C! Considering that the optimal water temp range to aim for resides anywhere between 65F/18C and 85F/29C, it became blatantly obvious in an instant that something needed to be done or our plant roots were likely to get cooked!

So we went to Lowe's and bought some insulation barrier material. It's the kind that looks like bubble-wrap on steroids encased in some kind of silvery foil-like material. With the trusty help of Pi I was able to cut out the proper lengths and make a double-thick barrier out of it, and for extra measure I sandwiched a layer of regular bubble wrap in between the two layers of insulation and taped it all together at the seams with duct tape before wrapping it around the reservoir.

Results? It fits like a glove around the reservoir and works awesome! With the barrier on there, the absolute hottest the water temp got to by late afternoon/early evening that day (Tuesday) was 90F/32C, without the use of ice at all, in spite of the outside temps being the same as on Monday when the water temp reached 101F/38C. I call that success!

Yesterday (Thursday), the outside temps were a little cooler here (98F/36F) and the hottest the water temp reached at the hottest part of the day was 88F/31C - again, without the use of any ice. In spite of going slightly over the optimal range for about an hour or so once late afternoon/early evening arrives, all the plants are doing great and thriving/growing wonderfully.

Also yesterday (Thursday) I experienced my first tower invasion. In the words of Theodin, King of Rohan of LoTR, "And so it begins". lol....

I woke up in the morning to discover a bevy of ants herding aphids up to my cucumber plant. They didn't bother any of my other plants- just the cucumber plant. I looked under its leaves and saw that there were several aphids there. So, I physically removed the aphids with Scotch Tape (works great), sprayed isopropyl alcohol on the ants that seemed to be setting up their 'base camp' on the reservoir lid beneath where the cucumber plant is located (to stun them before smooshing them), then I dusted the lid of the reservoir and around the base of the tower with food-grade diatomaceous earth.

So far today (Friday), I've only seen one lone ant. It was wandering about aimlessly on my reservoir lid (until I smooshed it). There were no others to be seen anywhere. Yay!

So far, I'm really loving this aeroponic tower concept. Here's a cool video that shows how it works:

IrishLass

Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 09-09-2016, 11:52 PM   #13
Kamahido
Paladin of Soap

Liked 381 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quite impressive! I built an aquaponics system in my basement a few years ago to grow watercress. We have a very short growing season here. Just like hydroponics, just without the expensive nutrient solutions.
People Like This 
Old 09-10-2016, 06:00 AM   #14
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8142 Times on 3903 Posts
Likes Given: 3789

Don't forget that spraying a light soap solution is great for getting rid of all sorts of bugs on your plants. Glad you defended well. Can imagine you stood there in the line of ants "you shall not pass!"
People Like This 
Old 09-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #15
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2312 Times on 1154 Posts
Likes Given: 1766

IrishLass, you are even all sciency with your gardening! I'd love to see a photo of your set-up with the heat barrier in place.
TeresaT Likes This 
Old 09-13-2016, 05:25 PM   #16
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlene View Post
IrishLass, you are even all sciency with your gardening! I'd love to see a photo of your set-up with the heat barrier in place.
As you wish:

The above pic was taken a few days ago. Today, most of my plants are about twice the size as what you see here, believe it or not. For example, the kale that you see in slot 5B has now grown over the top of the tower. It's so amazing- they are growing like weeds! I'll see about putting up a current pic later on today. Those yellow things attached to the cage are sticky traps for catching aphids, whiteflies, gnats and things like that.

I have 2 different kinds of mint growing in the tower (chocolate mint and spearmint) and as I was out there this morning, a breeze blew by and wafted the scent of mint at me. It was glorious!

IrishLass
People Like This 
Old 09-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #17
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Here are some comparison pics between what the east side of my tower looks like this morning, compared to what it looked like exactly one week ago today:

One week ago:

and this morning:

-At the top row in slots 5A and 5B we have Swiss Kale;
-In the second row down from the top, the purplish/green plant to the far left is Purple Basil;
-Dead center in the same row (in 4B) in the first pic is rosemary, but I moved it to the west side of the tower to get more sun. The plant you see there in its place in the second pic is Starbor Kale;
-To the far right in the same row is my Chocolate Mint;
-Third row down from the top on the left is my Thyme;
-Same row to the right is my Wildfire Lettuce;
-The next row down (4th from the top) to the far left is my Cucumber;
-Same row in the center is my Spearmint.

The rest of the slots are waiting for my tomato, celery and strawberry seedlings. So far, just the tomato seedlings have sprouted, but I need to wait until they have 3" of growth on them before I place them in the tower.

IrishLass
People Like This 
Old 09-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #18
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4557 Times on 3044 Posts
Likes Given: 3786

Wow, that's amazing. Hope things continue to thrive.
IrishLass Likes This 
Old 09-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #19
navigator9

Liked 2940 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 256

Holy cow, that's quite some set up. I can't believe how fast everything is growing!!!
Old 09-16-2016, 10:29 PM   #20
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

I know, right? I can hardly believe it myself. Every morning when I get up, I go outside and take pics to add them to my log so that I can keep track of the amazing growth that seems to happen just about every time I blink. lol

IrishLass