~*~ SMF May 2017 Challenge - Fluid Acrylic Cell Pour!! ~*~
~ May 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Soap Making Recipes & Tutorials > Would like a recipe for a simple Castile-like soap that cures fast

Old 06-25-2016, 02:33 AM   #21
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9962 Times on 4545 Posts
Likes Given: 4482

To make a soapmaker's classic castile that lathers nicely, lasts a long time, and only requires a 4-6 week cure --> use 100% olive oil, whatever lye solution concentration you prefer, the usual 5% superfat (lye discount), and a blend of 95% NaOH and 5% KOH (potassium hydroxide).

People Like This 
Old 06-25-2016, 01:42 PM   #22
alexanderte
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaT View Post
Ha! That explains it! That sounds like me and my hyper-focus type of ADHD. I am flighty, flaky and forgetful. However, when something grabs my attention, it grabs my attention and I am consumed/lost in it for hours at a time. I like archiving and filing and all of those tedious things. Analyzing a process and making improvements to it so that it's more efficient. "Finding a needle in a haystack." All of these are my ideas of fun.
I can totally relate to the hyper-focusing. The past couple of weeks have been very intense when it comes to soap making. Now that Iíve gotten my equipment, learnt some basics about the process, and done three batches then I feel like I can relax a bit. I canít wait to try my own soap, but I have to say that I really enjoy the process. Part of the process is keeping a very detailed log of everything I do. The structure of the log is always evolving.

Another aspect I enjoy a lot is designing the packaging. If I plan to sell my soaps at some point then I guess thatís just as important, if not more (from a number-of-soaps-sold perspective), than the actual soap making.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeAnna View Post
To make a soapmaker's classic castile that lathers nicely, lasts a long time, and only requires a 4-6 week cure --> use 100% olive oil, whatever lye solution concentration you prefer, the usual 5% superfat (lye discount), and a blend of 95% NaOH and 5% KOH (potassium hydroxide).
So this blend of NaOH and KOH is what makes it cure faster?

Last edited by The Efficacious Gentleman; 06-25-2016 at 05:30 PM.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:34 AM   #23
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

The KOH makes the soap more soluble in water. Thsi means the usual stringy oleic soap gel doesn't form as easily with a KOH-NaOH castile as it does with a castile made with NaOH only. I won't debate the "cure faster" issue -- all I will say is if you want to make a true castile (100% olive oil) and would like it to last a long enough time, make lots of nice lather, and be mild to the skin after a more typical 4-6 week cure, then try using the mixed lyes.
People Like This 
Old 06-26-2016, 05:53 AM   #24
Arimara

Liked 1065 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 3515

Quote:
The KOH makes the soap more soluble in water. Thsi means the usual stringy oleic soap gel doesn't form as easily with a KOH-NaOH castile as it does with a castile made with NaOH only. I won't debate the "cure faster" issue -- all I will say is if you want to make a true castile (100% olive oil) and would like it to last a long enough time, make lots of nice lather, and be mild to the skin after a more typical 4-6 week cure, then try using the mixed lyes.
That said soap would still benefit froma 3 month cure at least. I used a slice of one of the olive oil castiles I made like this and the middle is turning to mush. OP may benefit from making a 2lb batch of this so that some of the soaps will have the chance to cure longer and not be used up in about two or three weeks or sooner since he's a guy.
MySoapyHeart Likes This 
Old 06-26-2016, 02:04 PM   #25
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

I haven't noticed any hint of mush with the batch I made -- the bar I'm using daily in the shower is staying nicely hard while still lathering well and having a decently long life. But, as always, everyone's mileage varies.
Scooter Likes This 
Old 06-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #26
Arimara

Liked 1065 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 3515

True. To be fair, this one is partially gelled but I'm scratching my head because none of the gelled soaps I had did this. I'll just use another tester batch to be sure.

Note- BB's Clementine Cupcake is a little too annoying for me to soap with. I thought it would be nice for a child friendly soap.
DeeAnna Likes This 
Old 12-30-2016, 10:41 PM   #27
jakethemouse

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hello all,

I'm new here. I believe all cp soap should go through the 4-6 weeks or until you bar stops losing water weight however have read there a ways to speed up the curing time. First and most obvious are the oils you use and water discounting which has already been mentioned.

Diy natural had a blogpost about other methods such as using a dehumidifier, fans, zeolites, oven and heaters to reduce the humidity and moisture in the curing area.

The waiting is the hardest part for me too. Sorry about the long post

Old 12-31-2016, 03:15 AM   #28
kumudini

Liked 401 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 604

^^Don't know if I understood you correctly but if despite what all you read you still believe that all NaOH soap needs minimum 4-6 weeks cure, that's great because that IS the truth. You cannot really hasten cure.

welcome to the forum and the addiction

Quote:
you make it look so simple DeeAnna, its like a curse has been lifted off of the castile and it could regain its queen status in the soap world again. I was wary of trying a regular castile after reading so many negative sentiments about it, so I tried the super lye castile but it felt like a block of plastic and didn't make any lather for me after a full year. So I never made any after that. Now I'm going to try the dual lye recipe.
WeaversPort Likes This 
Old 12-31-2016, 07:20 AM   #29
redhead1226

Liked 180 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Jake - I have been reading a lot of FB posts lately from newbies wanting to "speed up" curing time by using dehydrators like you say. First - Whats the rush? Second - I think there are magical things that happen to soap over time. The soap has basically gone through saponification pretty quickly. However I have used soap that I have made 8-10 months later and they are far better than they were at 4-6 weeks. In fact a soap I made that I didn't even like, I now love! I don't think you get the same results by putting a fan on it IMO. SMH

Old 12-31-2016, 08:27 AM   #30
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7665 Times on 3709 Posts
Likes Given: 3691

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethemouse View Post
Hello all,

I'm new here. I believe all cp soap should go through the 4-6 weeks or until you bar stops losing water weight however have read there a ways to speed up the curing time. First and most obvious are the oils you use and water discounting which has already been mentioned.

Diy natural had a blogpost about other methods such as using a dehumidifier, fans, zeolites, oven and heaters to reduce the humidity and moisture in the curing area.

The waiting is the hardest part for me too. Sorry about the long post

Castiles are a prime example of why moisture loss does not equal cure. After some months a bar will not lose much more moisture, and yet there is a very noticeable difference between a 3 month old Castile and a 12 month old Castile. It's not down to moisture loss, so it must be something else.

Even in a more balanced bar, speeding up moisture loss will.........speed up moisture loss. But moisture loss clearly cannot be all that happens in curing, so speeding up moisture loss is not speeding up curing.

People Like This