~*~ SMF February 2017 Challenge - Ebru Soaps! ~*~
~ February 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Soap Making Recipes & Tutorials > Soap for greasy/oily hair, help please.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #1
ForestFairy

Default Soap for greasy/oily hair, help please.

Hello!

Im looking for a simple soap recipe for washing my greasy/oily hair. i decided not to buy shampooes in the shop anymore, because they are expensive and too "heavy" for me. im new to the forum and soap making, so i will be glad for any suggestion, maybe coconut base + olive oil (or something) and what about super fat should i use 5% or more?
Thanks!

Old 05-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #2
Kamahido

Liked 268 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The shampoo bars that I make for my wife are from Genny's Shampoo Bar post which can be found...

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=30946

Gives a nice lather doesn't leave a residue.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:49 PM   #3
BrightBox

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I make a 100% coconut oil shampoo bar. Some people complain that using all coconut oil can be drying, but I have customers with oily hair who really like that. It will still leave your hair clean and soft. Plus that lather is amazing!

I have heard of soapers that super fat up to 20% with 100% coconut oil because it never goes rancid. I have personally gone that high without a problem.

If you decided to use all coconut oil, be careful in how long you leave it in the mold. Especially with a water discount. It hardens VERY fast. I can usually un-mold anywhere from 8-12 hours. Anything after that is harder to cut. Also soap at lower temps. It tends to volcano if it is too hot and too insulated.

Hope this helps. Have a great day!

Old 06-09-2016, 11:16 PM   #4
shunt2011
SOAP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3923 Times on 2676 Posts
Likes Given: 3192

I wouldn't use 100% CO on my hair for a million dollars. Soap is not good for our hair. It will cause major damage. There are many here who have tried CP shampoo bars that have had their hair ruined. Me included. The ph is too high for our hair. Though you will get a few who swear by it.
People Like This 
Old 06-10-2016, 01:29 AM   #5
TeresaT
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2183 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

What shampoo(s) have you been using? Have you tried alternating shampoos? I have two shampoos that I use, one from Bumble & Bumble and one from Frizz Ease. I alternate between them, I don't usually use one more than twice in a row. This helps reduce any type of buildup from the shampoo and each one is formulated for a different purpose. High humid days it's the Frizz Ease for sure. You might just need to switch your shampoo brand and/or type and alternate it with another one. That could make a huge difference.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:11 AM   #6
snappyllama
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2900 Times on 1573 Posts
Likes Given: 2418

You might want to give the swift crafty monkey blog a read. Excellent information in there for making haircare products as well as why CP isn't great for most folk's hair:

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/p/hair-care.html
Susie Likes This 
Old 06-13-2016, 08:37 PM   #7
BrightBox

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Great blog article from Swift Crafty Monkey. I learned things about CP soap and hair follicles I did not know. Thanks for sharing.

However, I stand by my coconut oil shampoo bar. It has not worked for everyone but it has worked for many, myself included without damage to my hair. In fact I have had many people ask me what I use on my hair because it looks healthy.

Having said that, again this shampoo bar has a substantial super fat and I have tested it and found it to be between 6 and 7 Ph. The blog article even says that with a PH that low a shampoo bar could be possible.

Also, the draw backs that she mentions are due in part to hard water. Hard water is brutal on so many things. Is is possible that soft water could counter act some of the draw backs?

Most people who use a shampoo bar only shampoo 2-3 times a week anyway and do take extra measures with apple cider rinses and other like treatments with great success.

With many additives in bottled shampoos like sodium laurel sulfate and others, you are also taking a chance. I still believe that shampoo bars are a natural alternative to hair care but like any product on the market intended for our bodies should be used with prudence and care.

Here is another blog post that would be worth a read for anyone interested in shampoo bars that is a more middle of the road opinion.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlre...-shampoo-bars/

Great discussion! I have learned some things.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:05 PM   #8
lsg
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 2754 Times on 1977 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Soap does not work well for my hair as we have very hard water. Swiftcraftymonkey blogspot has a lot of great info.

Be somebody who makes everybody feel like a somebody.
People Like This 
Old 06-13-2016, 09:43 PM   #9
shunt2011
SOAP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3923 Times on 2676 Posts
Likes Given: 3192

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightBox View Post
Great blog article from Swift Crafty Monkey. I learned things about CP soap and hair follicles I did not know. Thanks for sharing.

However, I stand by my coconut oil shampoo bar. It has not worked for everyone but it has worked for many, myself included without damage to my hair. In fact I have had many people ask me what I use on my hair because it looks healthy.

Having said that, again this shampoo bar has a substantial super fat and I have tested it and found it to be between 6 and 7 Ph. The blog article even says that with a PH that low a shampoo bar could be possible.

Also, the draw backs that she mentions are due in part to hard water. Hard water is brutal on so many things. Is is possible that soft water could counter act some of the draw backs?

Most people who use a shampoo bar only shampoo 2-3 times a week anyway and do take extra measures with apple cider rinses and other like treatments with great success.

With many additives in bottled shampoos like sodium laurel sulfate and others, you are also taking a chance. I still believe that shampoo bars are a natural alternative to hair care but like any product on the market intended for our bodies should be used with prudence and care.

Here is another blog post that would be worth a read for anyone interested in shampoo bars that is a more middle of the road opinion.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlre...-shampoo-bars/

Great discussion! I have learned some things.

Your soap cannot have that low of a PH or it's not soap. Soap has a PH of 8-12 and generally falls into the 9.5-10 for most.
People Like This 
Old 06-13-2016, 11:41 PM   #10
Obsidian

Liked 4073 Times on 2435 Posts
Likes Given: 102

BrightBox, how long have you been using soap on your hair? I used shampoo bars for two years and loved them. I sang their praises, you can find multiple posts on here where I recommend them. All my family had been given bars with instructions, I pushed them to use the bars because they were so wonderful.

One year ago my hair started getting crunchy and dry, shortly after it started breaking off in 1" chunks. Within 2 weeks I went from nice healthy looking hair to completely destroyed broken hair. I had to cut it all off, it was under 1" to remove all the damage.

I realize some people can and do use shampoo bars for years with no damage but thats few and far between. Even if I went back to shampoo bars, I would never recommend them to other, I would feel terrible if someone went through what I did because of something I recommended. If you continue to recommend your highly cleansing soap to people, you should at least warn them that it could damage their hair so they can be on the look out and stop using before its too late.

People Like This