~*~ SMF April 2017 Challenge - Stripes! ~*~
~ April 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Bath and Body Forum > Questions about bath bombs, bath fizzles, or bath balms

Old 05-23-2016, 04:14 PM   #1
Bombboy90

Default Questions about bath bombs, bath fizzles, or bath balms

I want to start making and selling bath bombs but I have a few questions on them.

1. Labeling requirements for NY. I have only found UK, and EU questions about them, and I've been trying to do research on it.

2. Are they safe? Is citric acid, baking soda, essential oil, etc safe for prolonged contact. I know there are potential allergic reactions to them so I am curious to what I should "label" to cut down on liability. Example: "keep out of reach of children" "do not eat". Etc.

3. Are they considered cosmetics and have to be tested by the FDA?

Old 05-23-2016, 04:19 PM   #2
lsg
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 2891 Times on 2062 Posts
Likes Given: 183

According to some of the things I have read, bath bombs can cause yeast infections.

Be somebody who makes everybody feel like a somebody.
Omneya Likes This 
Old 05-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #3
shunt2011
SOAP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4198 Times on 2819 Posts
Likes Given: 3384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombboy90 View Post
I want to start making and selling bath bombs but I have a few questions on them.

1. Labeling requirements for NY. I have only found UK, and EU questions about them, and I've been trying to do research on it.

2. Are they safe? Is citric acid, baking soda, essential oil, etc safe for prolonged contact. I know there are potential allergic reactions to them so I am curious to what I should "label" to cut down on liability. Example: "keep out of reach of children" "do not eat". Etc.

3. Are they considered cosmetics and have to be tested by the FDA?
Hello and welcome to the forum. Before you start to think about selling anything you will need to search the labeling guidlines and learn how to make things and test them first.

I highly suggest you read the rules first for the forum, then after that start reading the posts and doing a lot of research and then making your products and testing them. Making soap and B&B products is not somthing you wake up and decide to make and sell right away. Especially soap. It's generally recommended you make and test your soaps for at least a year before even considering selling.

Also, please go to the introduction forum and tell us a little about yourself.

Again welcome and you will find a lot of valuable information here. Also a lot of helpful members. So after researching feel free to ask questions.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #4
Mellifera
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 45 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 46

A great place for labeling information is Marie Gale's site and books: http://www.mariegale.com She does a great job taking the federal labeling laws (they aren't by state) and translating them into English for us non-bureaucrats.

And I commend you on wanting to make your labels accurate.

Bath bombs (a mix of baking soda, citric, and a few other ingredients, usually) are cosmetics, and are pretty darned safe, I'd say. The rules require that you put all the ingredients on the label, and certainly "for external use only" and "keep out of reach of children" or "children should use only with adult supervision" is a good idea. But again, Marie Gale's book can tell you all about that and more.
Good luck!
milky Likes This 
Old 11-10-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
ella123

I know this post was awhile ago, but I thought I’d throw my two cents in for anyone else who stumbles across this thread. Bath bombs are considered cosmetics by the FDA, so you need to follow FDA regulations for labelling. If you’re making claims like “helps with sore muscles” then you’re making a health claim, and it might be considered a drug AND a cosmetic.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #6
doriettefarm
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella123 View Post
I know this post was awhile ago, but I thought I’d throw my two cents in for anyone else who stumbles across this thread. Bath bombs are considered cosmetics by the FDA, so you need to follow FDA regulations for labelling. If you’re making claims like “helps with sore muscles” then you’re making a health claim, and it might be considered a drug AND a cosmetic.
And because they are classified as a cosmetic, the colorants used in them also have to be FDA approved for cosmetic use as well as batch certified.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:54 AM   #7
appsmartvn

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella123 View Post
the colorants used in them also have to be FDA