~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ Last Look At July Photo Entries~

Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Soap Making Recipes & Tutorials > Mechanic Soap

Old 01-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #11
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7504 Times on 4148 Posts
Likes Given: 15566

Kerosene or gasoline is often used straight out of the can to clean tools and hands that are full of engine grease. Adding it to a soap with pumice makes a LOT of sense to me.

Bamagirl Likes This 
Old 01-07-2016, 01:06 PM   #12
Bamagirl

Liked 210 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post
Kerosene or gasoline is often used straight out of the can to clean tools and hands that are full of engine grease. Adding it to a soap with pumice makes a LOT of sense to me.
My husband has used kerosene and gasoline to clean his hands or tools too. And when my husband tried the soap with kerosene, it worked good. So, hopefully this will work well too.

Susie Likes This 
Old 01-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #13
nsmar4211

Liked 272 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 1649

Ooooooooooooo right up my alley! Very interested to see how these perform!
Bamagirl Likes This 
Old 01-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #14
notapantsday

Liked 82 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I don't want to start a discussion, just for your information/consideration: Kerosene should not be flushed down the drain. Sewage treatment plants rely on biological processes to remove contaminations from the water and kerosene is not biodegradeable. Of course it's all a matter of scale and one person using kerosene soap will probably not cause much damage. But if we all did it...

Biodiesel may be an alternative but I haven't personally tried it.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:01 PM   #15
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10624 Times on 4837 Posts
Likes Given: 4750

Yes, kerosene is biodegradable. Slowly, yes, but it degrades. In the tiny amounts used in a soap and the tiny amounts of soap that will end up in the sewer system, I honestly wouldn't worry about it. On top of that, the soap itself will emulsify the kerosene and make it water soluble, and that will help the kerosene biodegrade faster.

The problem with flushing large amounts of chemicals like kerosene (or biodiesel, solvent-based paint, gasoline, other solvents, etc.) down the drain is that these chemicals float on the top of the sewer water. If there is an ignition source, these floating flammable chemicals can cause serious fires. If these chemicals evaporate easily (gasoline, for example), explosive vapors can build up and may explode in a confined space like a sewer.
People Like This 
Old 01-11-2016, 01:02 AM   #16
notapantsday

Liked 82 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Kerosene is considered "inherently biodegradable". That's not the same kind of biodegradable as soap, synthetic detergents or other things that can be flushed down the drain. It's a slow process that cannot be completed at a sewage treatment plant.

Kerosene is also toxic to aquatic life, with long lasting effects. See here.

The fire hazard is not the only reason why we don't flush hydrocarbons down the drain - they can have a huge environmental impact.

As I said, it's a matter of scale and a little bit of kerosene won't cause noticeable damage. I just wanted to note that kerosene doesn't belong into the sewer without starting another discussion, but apparently your need to immediately contradict anything I say was too strong to resist the urge.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:19 AM   #17
traderbren

Liked 390 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 211

I feel like I walked into something, but...

If you mention that kerosene shouldn't be flushed down the drain, but only for information purposes, then I positively welcome informed, civil discussion about it even if it contradicts your statement. There was no rudeness, only other facts. Those of us that are not privy to all the chemistry facts and knowledge can learn from hearing *all* facts.

And now I have questions.

Does kerosene change at all when incorporated into oils that undergo saponification? Or does it remain kerosene in all its glory?
People Like This 
Old 01-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #18
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10624 Times on 4837 Posts
Likes Given: 4750

NAPD ...your opinion of my words is duly noted.
People Like This 
Old 01-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #19
nsmar4211

Liked 272 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 1649

Many of the mechanics I know are not allowed to use the sinks to wash their paws, so they wash them in outside sinks/hoses (i.e. it goes on the ground and not the sewage). Wonder if that makes a difference?
People Like This 
Old 01-11-2016, 07:51 PM   #20
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7504 Times on 4148 Posts
Likes Given: 15566

Quote:
Originally Posted by notapantsday View Post
I don't want to start a discussion, just for your information/consideration:
Quote:
Originally Posted by notapantsday View Post

As I said, it's a matter of scale and a little bit of kerosene won't cause noticeable damage. I just wanted to note that kerosene doesn't belong into the sewer without starting another discussion, but apparently your need to immediately contradict anything I say was too strong to resist the urge.
You posted your thoughts on an open thread in the forum. You don't get to decide who, or if anyone, gets to respond to your thoughts. If you don't want responses, then just don't say anything.

Last edited by Susie; 01-11-2016 at 07:55 PM.
People Like This