~*~ SMF March 2017 Challenge - Black Background Soaps! ~*~
~ Last Look At February 2017 Challenge Photo Entries ~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Liquid Soap and Cream Soap Forum > My Creamy Cocoa/Shea GLS Tutorial

Old 01-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #11
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9049 Times on 4188 Posts
Likes Given: 4146

EDTA is not required in soap, but it does offer some nice benefits. EDTA helps prevent oxidation and rancidity (aka DOS). It also helps to reduce the soap scum that forms when you use lye soap in hard water.

You can also use sodium citrate to do much the same thing. You can either add sodium citrate directly to your soap, or you can make it indirectly by adding citric acid to your soap batter. If you use citric acid, you will need to add a bit of extra lye that the acid will react with. Citric acid + Lye => Sodium citrate.

But in the end, you don't have to use either one in your soap.

People Like This 
Old 01-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #12
Misschief

Liked 582 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 894

Thanks DeeAnna, normally I would just order it but Voyageur doesn't seem to carry it. I do, however, have citric acid in the house at all times.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #13
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 5524 Times on 2904 Posts
Likes Given: 3767

Ditto what DeeAnna said. I like to use the EDTA because it helps with my hard water issues. And as an added bonus, tetrasodium EDTA also has the ability to disrupt bacteria to the point that they starve of their food. It doesn't actively kill buggies like a preservative does, mind you, but it puts a bit of a wrench in their digestive systems so that they can't pig-out as much as they normally would. That's why you often see it used in lotion recipes in tandem with Phenonip or other preservatives. It acts as a "preservative booster", weakening the bacteria so that the preservative can go in for a better/easier kill, so to speak.

If you don't end up using the EDTA solution, you might want to do a little tweak to the dilution water amount to compensate, since the EDTA solution contributes to the liquid amount for my dilution rate.

IrishLass

Old 01-06-2016, 06:45 PM   #14
Serene
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 126 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arimara View Post
Is this going to be a sticky since this seems to be a popular request?
I sent a message in the hopes that it is. This is a winner for sure.

Thank you for doing this, IrishLass.

Sere
Old 01-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #15
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arimara View Post
Is this going to be a sticky since this seems to be a popular request?
Thank you for asking, Arimara (and Serene). Although I truly feel very honored that the request has been made to make this a stickie , the answer is no, this won't be made into a stickie. The reason why is because I've unlocked/opened the thread up for discussion, and we're trying to cut down/eliminate the amount of open/unlocked stickies we have on the forum. I feel it's much better to keep it open for discussion than to keep it locked. Discussion is good.

Having said that, though, I will add a link to it on the list of popular links we are collecting on this stickie: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=3

IrishLass

Last edited by IrishLass; 01-06-2016 at 07:32 PM.
People Like This 
Old 01-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #16
Dana89

Liked 239 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 224

2 questions here. What does the PS80 do? Also I don't have EDTA, I have liquid Germall plus, would that be an ok sub for EDTA? I know I would have to recalculate the amount to use but it certainly stops bacteria growth.
BTW Your soap is gorgeous and Thank You!

Old 01-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #17
nsmar4211

Liked 266 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 1649

*drools* Thanks for this!

Question, could you use the "put in crockpot, heat up, shut off crockpot and leave overnight" dilution I've seen others use with this if you have enough patience? And then just scoop into a sterilized jar?

Old 01-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #18
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Hi Dana! Thank you!

RE: PS80" The PS80 acts as a solubizer. In other words, when mixed with the extra super-fats that I add to this formula, it makes it so that they are water-soluble and will mix into my liquid soap without my soap separating into a layer of water and oil. Without it, my soap would end up looking much like a bottle of homemade oil and vinegar dressing, with the fat floating on top.

RE: Germall Plus: Unfortunately, the Germall Plus would not be a good substitute for the EDTA. The Germall is a preservative, while the EDTA is a chelator. The reason why I add the EDTA is for its chelating abilities, i.e., the ability to react with the excess calcium in my hard water, which helps to reduce soap scum, which in turn helps to increase my soap's lathering abilities in my hard water. The fact that it is also able to starve bacteria is just a happy side effect for me. Keep in mind that the EDTA is not a preservative and won't kill bacteria- it'll just weaken them.

IrishLass
Dana89 Likes This 
Old 01-07-2016, 09:15 PM   #19
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmar4211 View Post

Question, could you use the "put in crockpot, heat up, shut off crockpot and leave overnight" dilution I've seen others use with this if you have enough patience? And then just scoop into a sterilized jar?
Thanks, nsmar!

I can't say for sure, since I've never tried that method (I don't have a dedicated crockpot), but I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you try it, please post your results!

IrishLass
nsmar4211 Likes This 
Old 01-08-2016, 12:24 AM   #20
Arimara

Liked 813 Times on 555 Posts
Likes Given: 2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmar4211 View Post

I would need a 4 qt crockpt to do that. I can only use 16oz of oil for liquid soap at present.