~*~ SMF January 2017 Challenge - Gradient Layer! ~*~
~ January 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Bath, Body and Aromatherapy Recipes & Tutorials > Oils and those little pipettes???

Old 10-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
quita

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Oils and those little pipettes???

Hello
I'm hoping to open my Etsy shop in the next few weeks. I have some oils to add in the mix with my line (e.g Marula Oil and the like) I use a stainless steel funnel that I washed and spray saturated with alcohol for about 2 mins to fill the 1 ounce bottles which was kind of a pain because it fills fast and I lost some oil. These oils are $$ and I don't want to lose any. I was wondering if I used the plastic pipette to fill the bottle do I need to draw alcohol into it first let it dry out and then fill. Or are those pipettes ok to use. For my EO's for soap I just use the pipette because I assume the heat will kill most mold spores etc.

Thanks

Old 10-25-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
snappyllama
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2843 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 2348

I'm not sure I understand... you want to reuse the pipettes? I wouldn't think the risk would be worth the minor cost of using fresh ones.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3698 Times on 2267 Posts
Likes Given: 493

Using new clean bottles, with new pipettes and clean funnel should pose no problems. I assume you are using pure oils so just fill your bottles. Water grows ickies, oil goes rancid, with no added botanicals, aloe juice to spoil in the oil. This is why 100% anhydrous products need no preservative. What a total rip on price it is at Sephora when you can purchase it for approx $66 per lb

ETA I agree with Snappy always use new pipettes, they are super cheap on Amazon
Dahila Likes This 
Old 10-25-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
quita

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappyllama View Post
I'm not sure I understand... you want to reuse the pipettes? I wouldn't think the risk would be worth the minor cost of using fresh ones.
I would never never never reuse pipettes. Cross contamination isn't good. I think you misunderstand my question. Let me try to simplify. Can I use the pipettes directly from the manufacture out of package without sanitizing them? Hence why I asked about drawing alcohol up into them. To sanitize them upon initial use not to reuse them. Reusing them would compromise the integrity of my products. The things cost like 10 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmzaha View Post
Using new clean bottles, with new pipettes and clean funnel should pose no problems. I assume you are using pure oils so just fill your bottles. Water grows ickies, oil goes rancid, with no added botanicals, aloe juice to spoil in the oil. This is why 100% anhydrous products need no preservative. What a total rip on price it is at Sephora when you can purchase it for approx $66 per lb

Thanks Carolyn. I know not to reuse the pipettes. I just them from whatever wholesaler I'm purchasing from at the time. I'll check Amazon though. Yes I am using pure oils. Don't want any bacteria growth. 100% Marula, Maracuja and French Plum. Bottled separately of course. And yes at $72 an ounce Sephora is robbing people. But hey I can charge half that. lol!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmzaha View Post

You say the bottles are ok too? I totally gave those an alcohol bath too. Just checking for future.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
snappyllama
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2843 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 2348

Ah, gotcha. Sorry I misunderstood, my coffee hadn't kicked in yet. I don't bother with sanitizing my pipettes. I do spritz my containers with alcohol although I know that they should be fine from the supplier.

BTW: Sephora prices just kill me. Check out what they are charging for Bobbie Brown "Buffing Grains". $44 for an ounce of ground aduzki beans mixed with those plastic beads you shouldn't use. Seriously. You can buy a giant bag of adzuki beans at Whole Paycheck for $3 and eliminate sending more plastics into waterways. /end digression
quita Likes This 
Old 10-25-2015, 10:58 PM   #6
Relle
Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 1415 Times on 835 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by quita View Post
Hello
I'm hoping to open my Etsy shop in the next few weeks. I have some oils to add in the mix with my line (e.g Marula Oil and the like) I use a stainless steel funnel that I washed and spray saturated with alcohol for about 2 mins to fill the 1 ounce bottles which was kind of a pain because it fills fast and I lost some oil. These oils are $$ and I don't want to lose any. I was wondering if I used the plastic pipette to fill the bottle do I need to draw alcohol into it first let it dry out and then fill. Or are those pipettes ok to use. For my EO's for soap I just use the pipette because I assume the heat will kill most mold spores etc.

Thanks
I'm not sure what you will be selling other than your oils in your Etsy shop, so I would hope that you could wait a little while, if you are selling your soap, seeing you are still asking questions in the Beginners Forum re HP, and have only made a few batches. Thank you.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:59 AM   #7
quita

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relle View Post
I'm not sure what you will be selling other than your oils in your Etsy shop, so I would hope that you could wait a little while, if you are selling your soap, seeing you are still asking questions in the Beginners Forum re HP, and have only made a few batches. Thank you.
Hi Relle
I've made 5 batches so far. They seem ok. They are very hard non drying. Even though they are hot process I let them cure about 2-3 weeks. Not sure what else I should be looking for as far as quality. I made my first batch 6 months ago. How long should I soap before I sell? I've already done the llc, business license etc. What other qualities should I look for in the soap? The top (tiny bar) is one of my very first bars and the bottom (I know it's giant. lol) was made about 3 weeks ago. I don't really see much difference except the recipes are different. The first I went by a book and the last I created my own recipe. All that have tried said it was great. Any advice you have would be great. The questions on the Beginner Board were about additives. I haven't gotten that bold yet. Other than EO's and FO's I mean. Oh I forgot to add I wont be adding soap to the shop right now. Soap isn't my focus. Probably should've said that first, huh? lol!!! I will have a maximum of 2 bars in my shop.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2707.jpg   IMG_2706.jpg  

Last edited by quita; 10-26-2015 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Attachments

Old 10-26-2015, 01:27 AM   #8
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 5315 Times on 2810 Posts
Likes Given: 3640

Hi Quita!

The general consensus with lye-based soap is to make lots of batches and to spend a year putting them through different tests to see how they hold up over the long-haul under different conditions, i.e., humid conditions, dry conditions, etc... That's because lye-based soap can be quite a changeling of a substance.....problems that can appear such as DOS or color or scent fading or morphing don't always happen right away- they oftentimes don't rear their ugly heads until a few months have gone by after full cure. These curious, behavioral tics of lye-based soap can spell doom for a business, because oftentimes a soap won't get sold right way, and/or if it does, the purchaser might not use it right away. It could be sitting in a humid place at their house before they decide to use it or gift it and have come down with DOS in the meantime. These are not just theoretical scenarios. These things have actually happened to some of those who sold without spending the time to test, and they came back to tell their tale.

Here's a good article that we have as a stickie, entitled Are You Ready To Sell Your Soap? If followed, it will rescue you from many pitfalls that you may not have considered in regards to lye-based soap: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=16002

IrishLass
People Like This 
Old 10-26-2015, 01:39 AM   #9
quita

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post
Hi Quita!

The general consensus with lye-based soap is to make lots of batches and to spend a year putting them through different tests to see how they hold up over the long-haul under different conditions, i.e., humid conditions, dry conditions, etc... That's because lye-based soap can be quite a changeling of a substance.....problems that can appear such as DOS or color or scent fading or morphing don't always happen right away- they oftentimes don't rear their ugly heads until a few months have gone by after full cure. These curious, behavioral tics of lye-based soap can spell doom for a business, because oftentimes a soap won't get sold right way, and/or if it does, the purchaser might not use it right away. It could be sitting in a humid place at their house before they decide to use it or gift it and have come down with DOS in the meantime. These are not just theoretical scenarios. These things have actually happened to some of those who sold without spending the time to test, and they came back to tell their tale.

Here's a good article that we have as a stickie, entitled Are You Ready To Sell Your Soap? If followed, it will rescue you from many pitfalls that you may not have considered in regards to lye-based soap: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=16002

IrishLass
Thanks. I was under the impression that DOS only happened in Cold Process. I will be on the look out.

Oh I forgot to add that those are HP bars. I have no interest in CP. I figured out how to make a smoother bar. That's about it. I am not adding soap immediately. We are just listing 10 or so products for our "house" brand. We are actually coding a website in hopes of scouting handcrafters to sell there. Not like Etsy. I will purchase wholesale from the seller and resale the items. Like a beauty habit or violet and grey. I would however like a handful of my own products as well. We are starting with oils, clays, salts etc. I am still working on my soap recipe. I probably won't list a bar until next year. Thanks for all the advice and the sticky. But coming from the insurance industry I've done my research on the business side. I like to mitigate risk. lol!! My husband would've sold that bar six months ago!! I was like NOOOOO. My ultimate goal is to open brick and mortar shop in my town that caters to a clientele who appreciates the small batch hand crafted. I am glad I found this site. I love feedback.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:33 AM   #10
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7124 Times on 3496 Posts
Likes Given: 3490

The only difference between hp and cp is that hp is safe to use sooner but needs a longer cure.

The issue I have with new soapers (and 5 batches is a new soaper) selling is not about the product - one can copy a decent recipe and make a good soap - it's about the person selling the soap not knowing anywhere near enough about the product to really give a good service to the customer.