~*~ SMF February 2017 Challenge - Ebru Soaps! ~*~
~ February 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Soap Making Recipes & Tutorials > A Cream Soap Tutorial

Old 10-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
Lindy
Soap Diva Queen
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1539 Times on 930 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

Default A Cream Soap Tutorial

First let's start with an easy recipe:

Stage One

* Stearic Acid 8.4oz
* Sweet Almond Oil 2.55oz
* Coconut Oil 3.1oz
* Shea Butter 2.1oz
* Glycerin 5.0oz

Stage Two

* Water 3 oz
* Kaolin Clay .2oz

Lye Water

* Water 15.6 oz
* NaOH .6 oz
* KOH 2.2oz

Super Cream Stage

* Stearic Acid .5 oz
* Glycerin .7 oz

Now we get to play.

You are going to put all of the stage one ingredients in the pot to melt together. I use a crock pot, but you could use a double boiler or even the oven if that is your preference:

Let's get geared up for safety now.

While you're waiting for this to melt get your lye ready. Measure your water as usual and set aside. You're going to measure into your lye cup your NaOH first, then add the KOH right on top. If you don't usually wear mask (uhm like me) you may want one for this as it is stinkier (technical term that). Add your lyes to your water like you normally would and you're going to hear a hissing sound as they mix into the water as you're stirring. I promise it's not a snake or precursor to an explosion. Well it shouldn't be anyways otherwise it is one very annoyed snake. So just set it aside.

Once your oils are melted you are going to weigh out your water and clay, combine them well then pour into your oils and stir.

People Like This 
Old 10-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
Lindy
Soap Diva Queen

Now you're ready to add your lye. I like to preheat the bell part of my stickblender before adding the lye because the stearic acid attaches itself to anything cold and solidifies.

Have your stickblender in the oils and just give a quick twirl to make sure your clay is mixed it. Now add your lyes slowly stickblending the whole time....

Because I used full water on this it didn't chunk up on me as soon as the lye hit. That doesn't mean it won't to you, it can be rather temperamental on you so if it does, no reason to panic.

Well we made this far and I'm hoping no injuries - oh yeah - hold on now people you did put on your safety gear right? Whew....

We're going to let this cook for about 1 1/2 hours with frequent checking. I use high on my crockpot. In an oven I'm going to recommend about 180* F for the cook.

People Like This 
Old 10-27-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
Lindy
Soap Diva Queen

Because I used full water on this it didn't chunk up on me as soon as the lye hit. That doesn't mean it won't to you, it can be rather temperamental on you so if it does, no reason to panic.

Well we made this far and I'm hoping no injuries - oh yeah - hold on now people you did put on your safety gear right? Whew....

We're going to let this cook for about 1 1/2 hours with frequent checking. I use high on my crockpot. In an oven I'm going to recommend about 180* F for the cook.

So once that magic number of 1 1/2 hours has skipped by you are going to want to measure out your super-cream ingredients and put them on the stove to melt using medium low temperature. You need to stay right there with it because it will melt and then turn into steam before you blink (of course I always have a customer come into the store at this moment). Pour this into your soap and you may need to chunk it in . Take the time to get it well mixed in, then return to the cook for another 30 minutes.

After the 30 minute cook you're going to remove it from the heat and let it sit overnight....

You'll notice I didn't add any fragrance at this point. I like to fragrance once I'm ready to package it which is at least 2 months away. If I wanted a colour I would add it when I added my clay. In fact that is the time to add anything you are wanting to include in this, oats, milk powder, any other additives would be put into that 3 oz of water and then added before the lye.

Next Day...
So this morning the mixture was still very stiff:
People Like This 
Old 10-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
Lindy
Soap Diva Queen

I put it into my mixer to soften it up and see if I was going to need to add liquid (I was pretty sure since I want this to end up being in a lotion pump bottle):

I used my bread attachment as I don't want a lot of air being mixed into this since it's not a whipped soap and within a couple of minutes you could see it starting to soften:

But not enough so I added 4.25 ounces boiling water:
People Like This 
Old 10-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
Lindy
Soap Diva Queen

I still wasn't quite happy so I added an additional 3 ounces and this was just the ticket and where I want it to be:

And that's all there is to it. This is going to "rot" for the next couple of months in a sealed container and I might peak at it now and then (yeah like any of us can keep from peaking at our creations - whatever

Once it is fully cured/rotted you can add more liquid if you want and that is when you would add your fragrance. You will so love the feel of this and if you sell your customers will be beyond delighted.....

Thanks for letting me share this passion with you....
People Like This 
Old 10-27-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
new12soap

Liked 927 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 47

SO generous of you, Lindy! Thank you!

Old 10-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
shunt2011
SOAP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3927 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 3201

Thank you for sharing Lindy....question do you need preservative in this at all? I so want to try this.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6349 Times on 3603 Posts
Likes Given: 13548

Thank you so much! I was wondering how to make cream soap. Couple of questions, though:

1. Is the kaolin clay absolutely necessary to the consistency?

2. I did not notice any preservative, is this correct?

Old 10-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
snappyllama
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2902 Times on 1574 Posts
Likes Given: 2421

Nice tutorial! Another one to add to the list of things to try!

Old 10-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 5500 Times on 2889 Posts
Likes Given: 3757

Awesome tutorial, Lindy! Thanks for sharing!

IrishLass