~*~ SMF March 2017 Challenge - Black Background Soaps! ~*~
~ March 2017 Black Background Soap Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Bath, Body and Aromatherapy Recipes & Tutorials > Goat Milk Lotion Tutorial

Old 08-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
Lindy
Soap Diva Queen
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1543 Times on 933 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

Default Goat Milk Lotion Tutorial

When making a goat milk lotion it is very important that the goat milk is as fresh as you can get it and that you don't use more than 12% of the recipe volume.

INGREDIENTS:

3% butter
15% soft oils
12% Goat Milk
5% Emulsifying Wax
65% Water

On top of this you will need 1% (or whatever is the high end your preservative's recommended usage & 1% fragrance or essential oils.

Now let's make it. For the oils you need to create a Bain Marie or double boiler. To make a Bain Marie/double boiler put a smaller pot into a larger pot. These should be double handled so they will sit flat. Put water in the bottom pot which is what is going to melt your oils.

Oil Phase:

Butter, oil, emulsifying wax go into your Bain Marie. Bring the water to a medium boil and once everything is melted keep it that temperature for 20 minutes.

Water Phase:

Put your water and milk into a large pot and weigh this. Put onto a slow boil, we are looking to sterilize the milk and water. Just a note here, some people like to use bottled water, I personally am happy with my tap water, so this is a personal choice.

Once the oils have been tempered for the 20 minutes, weigh your water pot and add back in what you have lost through evaporation with boiling water. Now add the oils into the water and stickblend for a couple of minutes. Continue to check temperature and stickblend when you do. I like to fill the sink with icy cold water to drop the temperature a little quicker. Be careful that you don't make the pot float.

Once the lotion has cooled to less than 30* Celcius you will add your preservative and fragrance/essential oil. Give it a good stickblend for at least 2 minutes and then pour into your bottles. This does make a nice thick lotion.

Last edited by Lindy; 08-21-2014 at 07:20 PM.
People Like This 
Old 08-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
Lion Of Judah

Liked 285 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 2306

Lindy , do you make lotion for personal use or to sell ? is the preservative suppose to be added up into the total 100% or it stands on its own? // i never made lotion/cream and very much think its time that i do learn to make it , if even for personal use .

Janeau Lioni

Last edited by Lion Of Judah; 08-21-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
shunt2011
SOAP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4116 Times on 2771 Posts
Likes Given: 3319

She states 1% or the highest recommended level for the preservative you use along with EO/FO at 1%

Old 08-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
Meganmischke

Liked 164 Times on 119 Posts

Thanks for this. I have been thinking about this for a while. This gives me a great starting point.☺

Old 08-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
Lindy
Soap Diva Queen

The 1% for the preservative is over and above the 100% as is the fragrance.

Yes I do sell this and it is incredibly popular....
Lion Of Judah Likes This 
Old 08-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
Lion Of Judah

Liked 285 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 2306

nice ! @ Lindy , and what type of shelf life do you get ? [is the bottles 4 oz or more ? i ask because i think i read somewhere that smaller bottles better because the product gets used up in a timely fashion instead of sitting around for months]

Janeau Lioni

Old 08-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
Lindy
Soap Diva Queen

I prefer 4 ounce but I also sell 8 ounce. I give a 3 month limitation after opening. I give it a 12 month lifetime sealed but in reality it will last longer because no air is getting and if you store it in a low light area you're not causing it to get hot and cause the product to get heated which will damage it. By using 12% or less of goat milk it doesn't spoil because of your preservative. It is also why I say to use the freshest goat milk you can get your hands on.

If you wanted to make a regular lotion then add the goat milk percentage back into the water.
Lion Of Judah Likes This 
Old 08-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
seven

Liked 1390 Times on 775 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Lindy, will powdered GM be okay to use too? that's what i was using so far for my gm body butter.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:03 AM   #9
Lindy
Soap Diva Queen

You won't have as much control on the actual percentage in the lotion which could lead to a lot of trouble because the preservative might have trouble holding it....

Old 08-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
new12soap

Liked 929 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
You won't have as much control on the actual percentage in the lotion which could lead to a lot of trouble because the preservative might have trouble holding it....

I don't understand. If I mix the powder by weight with water, why couldn't I be precise? I'm not trying to be difficult, I just don't have access to fresh goat milk and I would love to try this. I have loved the ones I have tried, but here my choices are powdered or canned evaporated.

Let's say I used canned, and diluted 1:1 with water per the instructions, then used that mixture as 12% of the recipe, would that work? Or the same with powdered, mixed carefully according to the package directions?

KatieShephard Likes This