~*~ SMF June 2017 Challenge - Peacock Swirls! ~*~
~ June 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Soap Making Recipes & Tutorials > African Black Soap

Old 10-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #51
Arimara

Liked 1114 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 3640

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieLights View Post
Yay! Thanks, Trix! Now I can't wait to try making the black soap again!

I think this time I will use my own recipe... for the soap... since this one seems flaky. I still have to wait until next Tuesday to try it out - along with some friends and family who are willing guinea pigs. But now I have an excuse to try it "my way"! Double fun! Better soap recipe and better plantain recipe! Thanks!

p.s. - it was MESSY to make this recipe. just sayin. that blackened plaintain powder what like using charcoal - a mess. bleh.
I know this is a month old but did you get green plantains? if that was the case, if you fried them for two minutes at most, took them out, smashed each plantain chip and finished frying them, you'd have some tasty plantains.

It's admirable you guys are considering doing all that work, though. I don't have the luxury of space to attempt making ash with plantains but I'd relish the opportunity to fry up some sweet ones anytime.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #52
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4495 Times on 2640 Posts
Likes Given: 920

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieLights View Post
I'd better look for recipes if I make this again. I fried them and they were quite starchy, even with ketchup. #4 ate them though...
I find the outside of the plantain has to be very dark before they are ripe enough to cook and enjoy. They are extremely starchy to almost woody before they are ripe. I love them on the grill yum
LOL, Commoncenz aren't most of our kids evil at times, mine are grown and still are You have a great looking family

Old 10-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #53
PrairieLights

Liked 50 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 161

I think I needed to do one or the other - let them get very ripe or smash and re-fry. I want to try making the soap again after the holidays! So far it is a very hard piece of soap - flaky almost - and is lasting a very long time. My DIL loves it. No one else has raved about it (fam) - and I haven't asked what they did think. It doesn't lather well. It does seem to leave the skin softer than normal... but it isn't getting rid of my wrinkles - dagnabit.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:09 PM   #54
PrairieLights

Made the ABS again - but in liquid form, per daughter's newest challenge. The "grit" from the ground (finely) plantains and cocoa nibs are floating in it. We will see in a couple of weeks how it tests out.
Trix - made the plantains RIGHT this time and YEOWZA!!! DELICIOUS!!!
p.s. - for those interested, 2 daughters and 1 son say this is their favorite soap for their faces (the bar). It's worth a try.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #55
PrairieLights

Going to follow up again, in case anyone in the future wants this for information. (I cannot say "future" anymore without thinking of spongebob.)
The ABS in LS was so thick at first, I had thought I might have to dilute it at week 1 of cure. However, it became so thin!!! By week 4, it is almost as thin as water! Still VERY concentrated, though, which presents a challenge to the users, but they all like it. I do not.
I cannot thicken it, due to my daughter's skin condition. They are all using it just as it is.
I found the thinning interesting........passing on the info........ blessings to all!

Arimara Likes This