~*~ SMF February 2017 Challenge - Ebru Soaps! ~*~
~ February 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Craft Tutorials > African Black Soap

Old 08-24-2015, 08:09 PM   #21
not_ally
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1671 Times on 1123 Posts
Likes Given: 2320

Prairie Lights, you have probably done more research on this than you want to, but if you are so minded and if it was helpful it would be great to hash out your thoughts on this here. It might be something beyond the realm of soap if her body is covered in sores (poor love), but this is certainly a good place to talk about it. And who knows, maybe you could find something that would help, at least some. That would be wonderful.

PrairieLights Likes This 
Old 08-24-2015, 08:33 PM   #22
PrairieLights

Liked 49 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 161

So sweet of you, n_a. She is our eldest, grown and gone. She finally has homeopathy on her insurance plan so she is headed there. I am glad for that. She has been to countless doctors over the last year and a half, who have happily put her on every medication they can devise, much of which has made her ill and helped little to none. At one point, she could not even shower because the water hurt! Oh - I am venting now. But my organic OO soap works for her, and that is it. Or WAS it. I love learning, so this opportunity to try out something different is appealing to me. And if it helps with acne - bonus for our youngest! Nowand to find the plantains... and a cool enough day to turn on the oven...

Old 08-24-2015, 08:47 PM   #23
not_ally
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

They are never really gone, though, are they? They are always right at the front of your brain, making you think of how to help make their lives better b/c they are the most precious things on earth.

And that is a *huge* problem, if water hurts. You are not venting, you sound pretty brave to me.

There are a lot of threads on skin issues here, one of the things that struck me lately (I think from a post from Carolyn Z - who is a great soaper - although I could be wrong about the source) is that sometimes they work for a while and then stop, so you have to find something else or find enough things that you can rotate. Again, I'm sure you know this already.

I guess what I am saying is that even though you have already done all the legwork, you should post here just to talk about where you go as you are going, it is just nice to have a sounding board, and for me it has been hard to find. You may get irritated when you encounter posts from people who suggest things that seem obvious (posters here do their utmost to help, and it is sometimes hard to guage how much/what information is actually helpful), but it is still one of the few places that you can just talk about it, sometimes that is important, and maybe even find something that will lead you in a new direction.

Just nice to have a soapy home I am glad that you are here.
People Like This 
Old 08-24-2015, 09:13 PM   #24
commoncenz

Liked 724 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 1042

Here is a video detailing how one soaper made an ABS inspired soap using coco pods, plantain leaves, etc. Lot of work doing it this way .. but ... curiosity. lol

People Like This 
Old 08-25-2015, 12:09 AM   #25
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3901 Times on 2376 Posts
Likes Given: 642

Quote:
Originally Posted by commoncenz View Post
Here is a video detailing how one soaper made an ABS inspired soap using coco pods, plantain leaves, etc. Lot of work doing it this way .. but ... curiosity. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhD_kzi1ywo
She is using Tamarind pods not cacao pods.
Lion Of Judah Likes This 
Old 08-25-2015, 12:14 AM   #26
TeresaT
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2183 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relle View Post
Because they're, like, so close together, ya know?

Old 08-25-2015, 12:31 AM   #27
commoncenz

Liked 724 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 1042

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmzaha View Post
She is using Tamarind pods not cacao pods.
Must've been another video that used cacao pods. In event, it doesn't change the point that it's a lot of work.

Edit: Funny thing is that it seems that SHE doesn't know what she's using.

Last edited by commoncenz; 08-25-2015 at 12:37 AM.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #28
kchaystack
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1529 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by commoncenz View Post
Must've been another video that used cacao pods. In event, it doesn't change the point that it's a lot of work.

Edit: Funny thing is that it seems that SHE doesn't know what she's using.
Oh that woman....

I am biting my tongue.
People Like This 
Old 08-25-2015, 03:29 PM   #29
not_ally
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Ugh, I didn't realize that was *her* until you commented, K. I cannot stand to watch her videos. She is so awful, just in every way. I wish I hadn't realized it *was* her, it made me click on the video from a kind of sick, masochistic response, and made it through about a minute and a half of idiocy, screeching and ads ("watch the commercials, it will help me out!" over and over again) before my fight or flee response took over and I fled
People Like This 
Old 08-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #30
TVivian
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_ally View Post
Ugh, I didn't realize that was *her* until you commented, K. I cannot stand to watch her videos. She is so awful, just in every way. I wish I hadn't realized it *was* her, it made me click on the video from a kind of sick, masochistic response, and made it through about a minute and a half of idiocy, screeching and ads ("watch the commercials, it will help me out!" over and over again) before my fight or flee response took over and I fled

I wasn't going to watch it.. I wasn't going to do it and then you posted this so I did it.

I got through about 3 minutes of the hour and 20 minute video and all I can say is, ... thats 3 minutes of my life I can never get back.

not_ally Likes This 

Tags
african black soap