~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ Last Look At July Photo Entries~

Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Bath, Body and Aromatherapy Recipes & Tutorials > body butter recipe that wont melt?

Old 01-25-2014, 01:36 AM   #1
corrine025

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default body butter recipe that wont melt?

does anyone know of a body butter recipe that wont melt? I want something that will stay stable.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
Lindy
Soap Diva Queen
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1555 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

The more butter you put in and the less soft oils the thicker your butter will become. You can always add a bit of beeswax if you like...

People Like This 
Old 02-02-2014, 04:25 AM   #3
jade-15

Liked 117 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 665

I made a whipped body butter and no matter how cold it was when I whipped it, it still melted. (My coconut oil was completely liquid, if that's any indicator of temperature!)
Finally I melted it down and added more beeswax and now it's nice and stable.
corrine025 Likes This 
Old 01-18-2016, 03:36 AM   #4
sonoransoapnmadness

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I know I'm responding to an old post, but as someone noted on another thread, there doesn't seem to be much action here. Not sure if everyone has moved on.

To the point, if you wanted to make a lotion that was the consistency of body butter it would be stable because of the emulsifier.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:05 AM   #5
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6720 Times on 3410 Posts
Likes Given: 4413

The OP has actually not been here in months, and it looks as though the question was answered to her satisfaction 2 years ago.

IrishLass

Old 01-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #6
sonoransoapnmadness

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I realize that but I also see that there are challenges that can't be entered until a specific number of posts and that people get criticized for their opinions if they don't post very often, but it is often difficult to find current threads that relate to questions I have or subjects on which I'd like to add my .02.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #7
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7971 Times on 3839 Posts
Likes Given: 3766

Default body butter recipe that wont melt?

If you have questions not covered by threads, then ask a new one. Posting your "0.2" on an old thread just to get your post count up could be considered spam.

If you don't have enough posts for certain things, then wait. If you check the forum regularly there are many opportunities to offer help and advice to people in currently active topics, without having to post on inactive ones just to have something to say.
People Like This 
Old 06-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #8
PuddinAndPeanuts

Liked 162 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Efficacious Gentleman View Post
If you have questions not covered by threads, then ask a new one. Posting your "0.2" on an old thread just to get your post count up could be considered spam.

If you don't have enough posts for certain things, then wait. If you check the forum regularly there are many opportunities to offer help and advice to people in currently active topics, without having to post on inactive ones just to have something to say.

While I certainly see your point, I've kind of always felt that we answer questions here not just to help the OP, but also everyone else who stumbles onto that post later. I don't know that it's ever occurred to me to pay any attention to the date a question was originally posted. If I can add to what's already been said, I do. Is that bad?

This seems particularly true of a topic like melting body butter, which is such a common problem people deal with.

FYI- more great strategies are: using hard butters, use high melt point butters, have higher butter to oil ratios, keep final product in the shade at warm shows, keep final product in a cooler at hot shows...

Old 06-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #9
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4438 Times on 2967 Posts
Likes Given: 3608

We consider it necroposting and it's frowned upon. It's posted in the rules with the reasoning. Again, please don't post on old old threads. You can start a new topic and link to the old post if necessary. Thanks!!

Old 06-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #10
Toni2016

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
The more butter you put in and the less soft oils the thicker your butter will become. You can always add a bit of beeswax if you like...
Thanks Lindy for this information, as it is all about understanding your ingredients, and as I am new at this wonderful wonderful craft, I am very willing to try different combinations in my recipes, to be able to have a body butter that doesn't melt especially during the hot summer.

With best wishes
Toni