~*~ SMF June 2017 Challenge - Peacock Swirls! ~*~
~ June 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > Are baby soaps 'tear' free?

Old 11-02-2011, 05:05 AM   #1
nurse_75

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Are baby soaps 'tear' free?

I have been looking at recipes for soaps for babies and quite a few mention to make sure the bubs dont get it in their eyes.

Are there any 'tear' free soaps? Like J&J.

Also has anyone made a soap using baby talc and baby mineral oils in it? I found an interesting recipe that sounds nice.

I would like to make a smallish log with soap to try on my kids first (little fella is 15mths and toddler is 3) before I make some for my friends with littlies.

Thanks.

Sharna

Old 11-02-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
Bubbles Galore

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

No, there are no "tear free" soaps.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:18 AM   #3
Tegan

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

No....CP baby soaps are NOT tear free. Don't get it in their eyes...it will burn like the dickens.

Mineral oil does not saponify.....I wouldn't mix it into soap. (I'm not sure what talc would do....)

I also don't recommend using your children as guinea pigs.....

http://www.00www.clinuvel.com/dermatolo ... drens-skin

Test it on yourself.....test it on a willing adult.....make sure it's completely safe before using it on a child.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
nurse_75

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tegan - I didnt mean to imply that I would 'test' the soaps on my children, I would use them on myself first. I am not that irresponsible. You say CP soaps arent tear free... does that mean M&P or HP soaps may be?

It is interesting to note that CP soaps are not really 'all' safe for kids. My kids constantly rub their faces in the bath and like to wash each others hair. I guess I may just stick with the wonderful liquid soap we have currently.

Jenny - I was hoping the answer would be yes as I would love homemade soap that was safe for my kids. I asked this Q after using some wonderful soap that Nat sent me and both my kids accidently got it in their eyes. I was honestly surprised that it would sting like that. This was before I had any knowledge of what was involved in CP soap.

Sharna

Old 11-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
Elly

soaps are very alkaline and that causes a stinging sensation in the eyes, it doesn't matter if they are CP or HP. It is best not to use soap on babies (infants) because their skins are so delicate. On children you can use 100% OO soaps which tend to be milder than other oils but be careful with their eyes. I would never use a mineral oil on a child or on myself, that's just me.
Here is an interesting thread to read on the subject.
http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... light=baby

Old 11-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
Bubbles Galore

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

No, Melt & Pour and HP soap are not tear free either. All sting the eyes.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
nurse_75

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Elly - What is your reason for not using mineral oils? I mean something like baby oil? have a scientific background and do appreciate acids/bases so am wondering how does J&J accomplish a 'tear' free formula.

Does anyone know? and if so, can it be replicated. Off to google this I suppose.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
judymoody

Liked 1247 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Mineral oil does not saponify so that's why it's not used in CP. In fact, some people use it to grease their molds for that very reason.

As I understand it, J&J and other baby washes are made from detergent-based surfactants and therefore can be formulated to be more pH neutral. CP soap typically varies somewhere between 9-11.

HTH!

Old 11-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
Elly

You can find lots of info on the web regarding mineral oils, they are a by product of gasoline distillation from crude oil and its use on human skin has many undesirable effects. I know many people choose to use this oil because they believe that if the health authorities allow them to be sold it must be safe but I know otherwise. Mineral oils clog pores not allowing skin to breathe, the skin is the largest organ of detoxification.

I have no idea what J&J put in their "tear free baby shampoo" but some say their tear free shampoo contains numbing chemicals so that kids don't feel the irritation in their eyes, don't know if this is true or not.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
Tegan

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as harsh. Of course you wouldn't use them on your kids first. I was tired and cranky in general last night when I posted that. My bad, please forgive.

I don't think you could recreate J&J in bar form...I haven't read a bottle of J&J in a while but I believe it's mostly detergents....(I could be wrong).