~*~ SMF March 2017 Challenge - Black Background Soaps! ~*~
~ March 2017 Black Background Soap Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > When to add shea & cocoa butter

Old 03-28-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
kommon_sense

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default When to add shea & cocoa butter

I'm planning on making my first batch of shea/cocoa butter soap. However I'm not sure of when to add them?

I have a brick of shea butter, and chunks of unrefined cocoa butter.

Do they get added at the start of the process with the other oils (coconut/palm/etc.) and melted with them? Do they get added at trace?

Does the cocoa butter need to be tempered? Can the unrefined chunk be grated & mixed in at trace since mixture temp should be about the temp you would want to temper the cocoa butter at?

If I temper the whole batch of cocoa butter seperately would I just need to warm it up for use in future batches?

Any info is appreciated.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
Lindy
Soap Diva Queen
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1543 Times on 933 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

Melt them down with the rest of your oils. Because its soap you don't need to worry about tempering the way you do with lotions & creams...

Old 03-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
topcat

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, Lindy is right - that is what I do too.

Tanya

"One canít solve a problem with the same thinking that created it" ~Albert Einstein

Old 03-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
jennikate

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I third that I melt all hard oils together and than add liq oils I see no point to waiting till trace lye monster chomps through them any way.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:51 AM   #5
kommon_sense

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the feedback! I actually ended up learning how to temper it as I made a batch of body butter for my g/f today. She seems excited about it. I went the alton brown method for tempering it. Just placed a bowl on a heating pad.

I'll be building a nicer soap mold in the next few days and we will see how this batch of shea/cocoa butter soap goes

Old 03-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
honor435

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

i just melt all oils in crock(cp or hp) and dont add any at trace, heard it doesnt do anything? I use cocoa and shea, it is awesome, although I only use a3 ounces of each to a 2 lb batch, otherwise the bubbles goes way down, i do always use castor too. have fun.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
kommon_sense

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hmm.. Thanks for mentioning the castor. I just found it locally yesterday. I'm going to have to play with the recipe a bit to get the castor in there.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
topcat

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I find that adding even only 2 or 3% castor boosts the fluffy lather and moisturising feel, so working that amount into your recipe will be easy peasy! Have fun with it

Tanya

"One canít solve a problem with the same thinking that created it" ~Albert Einstein