~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ October 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Food & Spirit Recipes > Potica

Old 12-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #31
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6991 Times on 3517 Posts
Likes Given: 4555

Oh my goodness- I just read Susie's Pretzel Crack thread and had a brainstorm: to make a chocolate babka, but instead of sprinkling the loaf with the streusel crumb topping before baking, I'm going to brush the top of the loaf with the lye wash that I use when making laugenbretzels and laugencroissants, then sprinkle with kosher salt before baking!!! Thankfully, I have a 100% stainless steel bread pan that I can do this with. Oh yeahhhhhhh! Laugenbabka here we come!!!!

IrishLass

People Like This 
Old 12-27-2016, 12:23 AM   #32
navigator9

Liked 2944 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post
Well, I must say that the no-knead method works great with this dough!

I just got done baking up the last of the triple batch of dough that I made earlier in the week.

Pictured below is what I made with it today. On the left is an 8" potica; the two in the middle are 5" chocolate babkas with a crumb topping; and the one on the right is an 8" chocolate babka with crumb topping (thank you Scooter for pointing me to babka!). The babkas are fresh from the oven and still too hot to remove from their pans.

My house smells chocolatey good!

IrishLass
Wow, those look incredible!!! And yes, there's nothing like the smell of yeasted dough baking to make your house smell amazing. I'm glad to hear the dough worked well for you too. I was really disappointed when I found the recipe for the chocolate brioche, only to find that all the recipes for brioche dough said it was nearly impossible without a stand mixer, which I don't have. So I was a little leery when I saw the AB in 5 brioche recipe, thinking well how good could it be, this brioche stuff sounds kind of fancy and difficult, and this recipe just sounds too easy. I was happy to discover that it's not only easy, but delish, so tender and light.

I have a great babka recipe, but I'm anxious to try one with the brioche dough. I've saved a few versions that sound interesting, so if you're still in baking mode, you may want to take a look for some inspiration. There's just so many ways to use this dough!

http://milk-and.blogspot.com/2015/10...mon-babka.html

http://baked-theblog.com/hazelnut-vanilla-bean-babka/

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-stic...p.uBEeva6LI4gu

And I'd like to try some cinnamon rolls with this filling...pistachio, dark chocolate and orange zest. OMG, it makes my mouth water just to type it! LOL

http://joythebaker.com/2013/12/bonke...innamon-rolls/

Please have a big slice of each of your creations for me.

People Like This 
Old 12-27-2016, 12:37 AM   #33
Scooter

Liked 216 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

That sounds incredible!

Quote:
Oh my goodness- I just read Susie's Pretzel Crack thread and had a brainstorm: to make a chocolate babka, but instead of sprinkling the loaf with the streusel crumb topping before baking, I'm going to brush the top of the loaf with the lye wash that I use when making laugenbretzels and laugencroissants, then sprinkle with kosher salt before baking!!! Thankfully, I have a 100% stainless steel bread pan that I can do this with. Oh yeahhhhhhh! Laugenbabka here we come!!!!

IrishLass
IrishLass Likes This 
Old 12-27-2016, 01:04 PM   #34
navigator9

Oooooo...how about doughnuts with the brioche dough? I keep running across more ideas for ways to use it. This could be dangerous!
http://www.hintofvanillablog.com/hom...wn-butter.html

And I just found these. https://addmorebutter.com/2015/06/23...mel-doughnuts/ I swear I'm not looking for them...honest!

Last edited by navigator9; 12-27-2016 at 01:43 PM. Reason: I found more!
IrishLass Likes This 
Old 12-27-2016, 05:19 PM   #35
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6991 Times on 3517 Posts
Likes Given: 4555

You are very naughty, Navigator! My mouth is watering and I'm now chomping at the bit to try out the chocolate/pistachio/orange filling (what an awesome sounding combo!) Don't even get me started on the cream-filled doughnuts. Gah!!!!

IrishLass

Old 12-28-2016, 12:02 AM   #36
navigator9

Quote:
You are very naughty, Navigator! My mouth is watering and I'm now chomping at the bit to try out the chocolate/pistachio/orange filling (what an awesome sounding combo!) Don't even get me started on the cream-filled doughnuts. Gah!!!!

IrishLass
Oh always happy to be an enabler! LOL That easy brioche dough makes so many naughty things possible, doesn't it?