~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Candle Making Forum > Candle Shortcuts (not a good thing)

Old 09-22-2016, 01:17 AM   #1
TBandCW

Liked 239 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default Candle Shortcuts (not a good thing)

At my shows I always have folks asking why the candle they bought at a store doesn't smell after awhile. In our research we have learned that some manufactures only add fo to the wax at the top of the candle to save $$. I explain to them that fo is the most expensive part of the candle. I also have a burned to the nub candle for them to smell where you can still smell the scent and to show them how their candle should look after a proper burn.

People Like This 
Old 09-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #2
HappyGoNaturally

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I think some of the imported commercially-sold candles are made really poorly.

Since I make my own, I don't buy them, but several years ago there were block style, multi-wick candles on a close-out sale for 50-cents or something like that, so I picked up a couple, figuring I'd reuse the wax for chunk candles or something for personal use. When I cut it open, it wasn't a poured candle at all -- it was a block of wax that had been over-dipped. The problem is that people who don't know any better don't always understand why hand-poured candles cost so much more!
TBandCW Likes This 
Old 09-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #3
TBandCW

Liked 239 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Now that's a first!