~*~ SMF January 2017 Challenge - Gradient Layer! ~*~
~ January 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Bath, Body and Aromatherapy Recipes & Tutorials > Extracts can you use them for anything other than baking?

Old 07-27-2016, 07:01 AM   #11
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7129 Times on 3500 Posts
Likes Given: 3490

You could add it after the cook (not after trace!) in hot process. But alcohol does odd things to soap even if it's not seizing- transparent and/or m&p soaps have alcohol in them, so even adding alcohol after the cook might make a difference

People Like This 
Old 07-27-2016, 07:17 AM   #12
reflection

Liked 59 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Efficacious Gentleman View Post
You could add it after the cook (not after trace!) in hot process. But alcohol does odd things to soap even if it's not seizing- transparent and/or m&p soaps have alcohol in them, so even adding alcohol after the cook might make a difference
newbie question alert: what is the difference between after the cook and after trace? i thought they were the same thing.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:55 AM   #13

Trace is in cp and hp, when the soap batter is getting thicker - it's easier to see than just emulsion as the thickening batter leaves 'traces' when stirred.

The cook is in hp, when you heat your traced batter until it is fully saponified and no longer zaps.

At/after trace the lye is still very much active. After the cook there is (or should be!) no more lye
tigersister Likes This 
Old 07-28-2016, 01:10 AM   #14
reflection

Quote:
Trace is in cp and hp, when the soap batter is getting thicker - it's easier to see than just emulsion as the thickening batter leaves 'traces' when stirred.

The cook is in hp, when you heat your traced batter until it is fully saponified and no longer zaps.

At/after trace the lye is still very much active. After the cook there is (or should be!) no more lye
thanks so much for explaining this! when people refer to the 'emulsion' does that mean when the oils & lye solution are mixing in the early stage? i've been meaning to ask the difference between emulsion & trace but i didn't even realize 'after the cook' was yet another stage too. soapmaking truly is an art.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #15

Trace is easier to know because it can be seen. Emulsion is the point where the oils and the lye solution are mixed enough that they won't separate out again (all things being equal) - it's harder to recognise which is why most people refer to trace and aim for that point. For some swirls and so on, emulsion is preferred as it gives you more time to work.

Newbie recently posted a video on how to spot when you're at emulsion. Well worth a look
reflection Likes This 
Old 07-29-2016, 07:19 AM   #16
reflection

Quote:
Trace is easier to know because it can be seen. Emulsion is the point where the oils and the lye solution are mixed enough that they won't separate out again (all things being equal) - it's harder to recognise which is why most people refer to trace and aim for that point. For some swirls and so on, emulsion is preferred as it gives you more time to work.

Newbie recently posted a video on how to spot when you're at emulsion. Well worth a look
thanks again! ack, i thought that video was supposed to be showing trace and was wondering why the batter looked a bit thin to me. i just discovered the abbreviations thread also has definitions but it doesn't have emulsion, trace, or the cook/after the cook. maybe good ones to add to the definitions for the real newbies?

Old 08-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #17
joy.

Liked 40 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I've tried using vanilla extract and almond extract in HP after the cook. They did make it seize up a bit, but that may have just been because the extracts were cool and I was adding them to the hot batter. There was no scent left in either of them after a day. I don't think alcohol-based flavors/scents last in soap.

I've used vanilla co2 (which is different than an extract, absolute or oleoresin) in body butter and shampoo/conditioner base and it works really well. Blended smoothly in both, and smells delicious. It's pretty pricey though.

You may be able to make some sort of alcohol-based room/linen spray with your extracts. Just be careful of staining.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #18
miheypete

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think I remember that the doctor who introduced adding glycerin to lye in the long thread on another board used to add orange extract to his olive oil liquid soap in his crockpot after dilution. IrishLass may remember it better than me. I think he may have tried a second extract too but offhand I can't remember what it was. I do remember thinking I'd rather use the orange extract because of the more pleasant fragrance.

Let us know how your experiments work.

Mary