~*~ SMF February 2017 Challenge - Ebru Soaps! ~*~
~ February 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Soap Making Recipes & Tutorials > Testing Oatmeal with Almond FO recipe

Old 07-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #11
MySoapyHeart
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapmaker145 View Post
If you lost the almond scent, it means you started with a bad FO or perhaps almond extract. Almond FOs tend to be overwhelming and a little goes a long way. They stick like crazy.
That is my experience too. In one of my very, very first soaps (that are now over a year and a half old, I have 2 left) I added some Almond fragrance. I wasn`t quite sure how much to add as it was from Coastals Scents (they stopped offering fragrances or micas and wen`t into their own brand of cosmetics full time instead) The bottle had no info on % use in soaps, so I used it at 1% only to be safe.
Wowsah, it reeked! It still smell so strong in the soap, so at least that one stuck like crazy.

People Like This 
Old 07-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #12
dixiedragon

Liked 2939 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1317

Soap is roughly 2/3 oils and 1/3 water. So if your mold holds 50 ounces, you recipe should be about 33 ounces of oils. I'd drop that to 30 oz - you don't want to fill your mold to the tippy tippy top.

I agree with the others regarding the almond scent - you said you used Peak's Almond Pastries. Almond is a scent that tends to stick powerfully. How much did you use? It could simply be a not particularly good FO.

Kristus_Apollo Likes This 
Old 07-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #13
Kristus_Apollo

Liked 46 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibbles View Post
You are going to have too much soap for that mold. It will hold 50 oz to the brim of total soap weight (oils + lye + water). Your recipe has 48 ounces of oils, and a total batch weight of 69.34 ounces.
Thanks for the heads up dibbles. I thought something was off and once you gave the total soap weight (oils+lye+water) I went back to my first batch recipe and that total matched the first mold. The adjusted recipe is below:

Last edited by Kristus_Apollo; 07-28-2016 at 02:48 PM.
dibbles Likes This 
Old 07-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #14
Kristus_Apollo

Liked 46 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedragon View Post
Soap is roughly 2/3 oils and 1/3 water. So if your mold holds 50 ounces, you recipe should be about 33 ounces of oils. I'd drop that to 30 oz - you don't want to fill your mold to the tippy tippy top.

I agree with the others regarding the almond scent - you said you used Peak's Almond Pastries. Almond is a scent that tends to stick powerfully. How much did you use? It could simply be a not particularly good FO.
If I remember correctly it was 1.2 oz but the FO I had was probably 4 years old. It smelled very good after pouring the soap but dissipated after curing. I'll purchase a newer FO and give that a shot.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:03 PM   #15
dixiedragon

Liked 2939 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1317

I've used FOs that were more than 4 years old with no problems. The ones that I did have problems with, they were noticeably "off" smelling in the bottle.

Kristus_Apollo Likes This