~*~ SMF February 2017 Challenge - Ebru Soaps! ~*~
~ February 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > Announcements and Site News > SoapMakingForum Announcements, Comments, Help & Rules > "Favorites" Folder

Old 03-23-2016, 10:49 PM   #1
TeresaT
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2183 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

Default "Favorites" Folder

Is there a way to create a "favorites" folder or "tag" a particular thread that has information in it that I find particularly useful so I don't have to keep searching for it? For example, I knew there was a thread that talked about water discounting and using high/low water and how it effected your pour and design time. I needed to look at that again because I have questions about lye concentration and gelling. It turns out it was the December Challenge. I cannot find any way to mark that thread as special, so I emailed it to myself. As I have done in the past. But that, too is a PITA because do I search SMF or do I search my email? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
topofmurrayhill

Liked 1354 Times on 616 Posts
Likes Given: 614

You could save a bookmark/favorite in your web browser.

TeresaT Likes This 
Old 03-23-2016, 11:57 PM   #3
Obsidian

Liked 4073 Times on 2435 Posts
Likes Given: 102

I use a program called evernote. You can create "notebooks" to save different things to. I use it for all my soapcalc recipes and a bunch of other soapy info. You can view your saved things offline or online.
TeresaT Likes This 
Old 03-24-2016, 12:28 AM   #4
topofmurrayhill

Liked 1354 Times on 616 Posts
Likes Given: 614

Yeah Evernote is good. I use it too. With that you can save the actual thread contents as opposed to just the link.
TeresaT Likes This 
Old 03-24-2016, 12:48 AM   #5
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 5500 Times on 2889 Posts
Likes Given: 3757

I keep a special file folder in my computer documents filled with the copied/pasted url links to my most favorite/useful posts or threads, with an attached title and brief explanation next to each to remind me what it's about.

IrishLass
People Like This 
Old 03-24-2016, 02:46 AM   #6
tigersister

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 135

You can go to the Thread Tools pull down tab, and subscribe to a thread. Then you can see all the threads you've subscribed to on the My Account tab. The forum default seems to be to automatically subscribe you to any thread you've replied to. That can be turned off, so only the threads you actually choose to subscribe to is listed there.
Poking around a bit, it looks like you can create your own folders. Then move threads from the subscribed folder to those folders.

My Account > Subscribed Threads > Edit Folders

Last edited by The Efficacious Gentleman; 03-24-2016 at 05:17 AM.
TeresaT Likes This 
Old 03-24-2016, 06:37 PM   #7
TeresaT

Liked 2183 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
I use a program called evernote. You can create "notebooks" to save different things to. I use it for all my soapcalc recipes and a bunch of other soapy info. You can view your saved things offline or online.

THANKS!! I never thought of that. That's a really good idea. I use Evernote for my soap recipes, too. Someone on this forum posted a great how-to on Evernote and that's what got me started using it. Now I keep better notes on soap and update them, too. I have it on my phone, my iPad and my computer(s). I'm actually thinking of upgrading from the free edition to the one where you can upload up to 10 GB per month. I've been videoing my last couple of soap batches and that seems to help me keep better notes, too. Plus, I'm funny as heck. (I took a sip of a cup of coffee I made and you hear in the video: "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that is soooooo good!" I am not editing that out!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersister View Post
You can go to the Thread Tools pull down tab, and subscribe to a thread. Then you can see all the threads you've subscribed to on the My Account tab. The forum default seems to be to automatically subscribe you to any thread you've replied to. That can be turned off, so only the threads you actually choose to subscribe to is listed there.
Poking around a bit, it looks like you can create your own folders. Then move threads from the subscribed folder to those folders.

My Account > Subscribed Threads > Edit Folders
Thank you! I looked at this and did exactly that. After I created my "favorites" folder, I tried moving some threads to it and couldn't do that. What I did was went to one of my favorite threads and unsubscribed to it then re-subscribed to it. When I subscribed to it, it gave me the "folders" option. It was prepopulated with "subscriptions" and had a pull down menu. My favorites folder was an option, so I put it in there.

Now I've got to figure out how to find the folder easily without going to the subscriptions then changing the folder name. Although, that isn't difficult at all.

ETA: I changed my "favorites" folder to "fun stuff" and added a "sciency stuff" folder. This is a huge help. Thank you so much for playing on the forum and solving my dilemma!!

tigersister Likes This