Whipped Shea Butter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Paul!! I use an unrefined shea for my body butter, but I can detect an after scent. Is that normal? Should I purchase refined shea that has no smell? Just curious

Unrefined shea does have the natural shea nut smell. It losses that smell during the refineing process, or at least *most* of it.

Tab what the heck are you doing up so early? :p

I originally bought the unrefined because of the natural aspect of it.

O-well no one has complained about it yet, maybe it is just me :)

My 5 y/o jumped in bed with me mumbbling something about poke man.... uuurgg! My shop open at 10am today so I need to get going anyway.

I just tried my first batch of whipped shea yesterday and I'm not sure I got it right, as I don't have anything to compare it to. The consistency is like a foamy margarine- not like a hard body butter but not quite like a light fluffy meringue. Is this the right consistency? It is quite greasy when it melts on your skin, but the recipe was a 60/40 mix. Maybe I should try a different percentage ratio of butters to oils, like Tabitha's, to cut the greasiness? Not to mention I scented it with a lemon cookie FO and it smells like the inside of a Sprite can, so a do-over is necessary!

Different people like differnt consistancies. Do you like it that creamy? I personally like it a bit firmer than you are describing. I have seen whipped butter at 10% butter vs oil all the way to 90% butter vs oil. I have seen whipped butter in squeeze tubes almost like lotion and I have seen it so firm you have to use a little paddle to scoop it out. It's a personal thing.

You can cut the grease by adding a bit of corn startch or, I *think* Paul says he adds skin flo to cut the grease. I don't add anything, I like the greasyness just fine & so does my customer base.

Thanks Tabitha. I do like the consistency, and the greasiness has gotten better this morning after setting over night. Yesterday it would slide off my fingers before I could even get it out of the jar. I'm going to try another batch today and see if some cornstarch helps. Thanks again!

Hey poopie pants- LOL! Dragonfly :)
I use ultra refined too and I have the same nutty smell- once you scent and let it sit for a couple of days it goes away at least in mine. I have heard that you should worry if that type of butter is completely odorless- not sure where or why but just what I heard!
Awesome info too Tab!
Thanks again!

I use my kitchenaid stand mixer with the wisk attachment sitting in a bowl if icewater. It is tricky but if you hold the bowl just right, it whips up in no time.

Hey all - I thought I would chime in on this one. I made my first batch last week and it was WAYYY easy! Go to Coastal Scents' website and look for the video on how to whip shea butter. Super easy - with only 5 minutes needed in the fridge (I LOVE my kitchen aid!) My shea turned out the consistency of icing which has been in the fridge and has stayed that way. The EO's I used are perfect too - patchouli and neroli.

I do have to say that right after I placed it into jars, that I ordered the short ones immediately -- the tall ones are not my style.

Cheers!

rachelle

Okay I know this is a really old post, but - do you use unrefined or refined shea butter for whips/lotions? Or is it up to personal preference?

You want unrefined!

The refinded stuff has had all of the good properties stripped out.

Yes it smells nutty but that lessens over time and it completely goes away once the shea is applied to the body leaving only the fragrance you put in to your mixture.

Latest posts

Back