Hi from Dublin.Ireland

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianO

Reaction score
Hi

New to this, am a beekeeper keen to make a range of Organic soaps to offer alongside my Honey I sell locally here in Dublin, Ireland.

Looking forward to learning here the "ins & outs" of how to do this.

Thanks.

Brian.

www.leinsterhoney.ie

Hi.

First thing I suggest is checking out the EU cosmetic laws to see if you're still up for selling. It's not for everyone - I know a local soaper here who had second thoughts about selling because of the hoops we have to jump through.
That and be sure to check with your insurance company to make sure you are covered for such an endevour.

Also worth noting is that beeswax in soap should not be used in excess of 3% in soap. Any more will start to inhibit your lather, and may leave a waxy residue on your skin. Didn't want you thinking you could make a soap with beeswax as your primary base.

Hi Brian!

Beekeeping and soaping ... what fun!

Guinness and honey soap is very nice ... just sayin' :mrgreen:

On your regulations, this guild might have some information on their page to help you work out what you need to do for the regulation side of things: http://www.gcstm.co.uk/

And the Irish Organic Farmers and Growers Association you are probably already familiar with: http://iofga.org/

Welcome aboard!

Welcome, Brian! :wave:

Although my username is IrishLass, I don't live in Ireland and never have (although I've always wanted to visit). My ancestors on my dad's side of the family hail from County Cork, several of whom emigrated to New York back in mid 19th century.

Beeswax and honey are great in soap if you don't go overboard. I use 3% beeswax and 5% honey (per lb of oils) in my beeswax honey soap, which makes for a really nice soap , even if I do say so myself.

IrishLass :)

I don't know if I'm qualified to welcome someone when I just got here myself, but HI! I'm also a new soaper, there are loads of us here figuring things out :D

Lovely to meet you!!

Thanks for the link. I checked out your site. www.leinsterhoney.ie
Your honey is beautiful! I once used real honeycomb in soap and it was exquisite. Wish I could get it all the time. If you don't mind my asking, how are the honeybees doing in your location? They are dying out here. It's a real problem. Just curious to know if it's worldwide or just us and our reckless ways... ???

Welcome.gif

Wow , What a warm Welcome from you all. Really nice of you. !

Thank You !

As for the status of Bees, like worldwide they are under serious threat, we have 97 bee species in Ireland, of which ( as Worldwide ) 1/3rd are in danger of extinction and under threat.

1 Specie of Honey Bee
19 Species of Bumblebee
81 Species of Solitary Bee

Bit more Info here on their plight.

http://www.leinsterhoney.ie/the-world-of-bees

Look forward soon to trying my hand at Soapmaking and gleaning some valuable tips from you experienced Soapmakers.

Thanks Again

Cheers

Brian.

Hello! I'm also new to this forum but have been making soap for decades. Lots of info and inspiration here! I love that you raise bees! It's a lifetime interest and goal of mine, to raise bees...just not there yet. I keep saying...maybe next year. Life gets in the way. I like your site. Nice pic of the hives!

hey and welcome! I LIKE your website! Very clean, easy to navigate. Can't wait to see your creations!

Latest posts

Back