Pics of my first batch of soap - mostly a success! :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
I posted about making my first batch of soap last night, and today I unmolded and cut it. I didn't wait the full 24 hours... ooops (I was just too excited!) but it seemed to be "done". (Is it bad to take it out of the mold before 24 hours? It was completely cooled and hard, so I figured why not!)

I used 40% olive oil, 40% palm oil, and 20% canola oil. I realized after that this is not the most ideal recipe (too soft and slimy) so I'm definitely going to try some other ones!

Anyway, here's some pics! As far as I can tell it turned out - except for my swirl. It pretty much stayed on the top. Anyone have any tips for a more succesful swirl next time?

Thanks!

HoneymoonForSale233.jpg

HoneymoonForSale235.jpg

OOOHHH! Scrummy! The swirl is beautiful! I still have yet to try that. I unmold when it is hard and only wait if it needs it.

Looks lovely! Nice job! :D :D

AshleyR said:
As far as I can tell it turned out - except for my swirl.
:shock: :shock: What are you typing about??? Your swirl is beautiful!!!! I love the feathery look to the curves. :D :D Quite a few soapers swirl only the top.

To get the swirl deeper, you can try pouring (I am guessing you swirled in the mold) the swirl color up higher from the mold.

Another method is doing it in layers. For your main color layer, pour it over the back of a big spoon very close or it WILL push your alternate color away. http://beauxeaux.com/swirltutorial/howtoswirl.htm

Digit

WOW, You did a great job! VERY Nice! Your swirl looks fab too!

AshleyR said:
I used 40% olive oil, 40% palm oil, and 20% canola oil. I realized after that this is not the most ideal recipe (too soft and slimy) so I'm definitely going to try some other ones!

With that much palm and that much olive, it won't stay soft and slimy forever. It may take longer to set up, but you will eventually have a VERY hard bar, even with the canola. :)

I have some of my early attempts that are lard, olive and canola. They were soft and slimy like they.....3 months later, they could be used as weapons! :lol: And they're NICE on the skin.

those are AWESOME looking! The swirls look incredible, especially for your first batch! I mix my alternate color in the pot then pour it all into the mold and it swirls on it's own. but that is just me........ I know a lot of other soapers who only swirl the tops, and the effects are just as beautiful!

Your soap I am willing to bet will be a pretty hard bar of soap after it has cured... It may take a little bit but it will!

What do u use for the black color? I Love it. I tried to use activated charcoal, but it did not come out dark enough.

My other question is in regards to swirling. I tried it once and I bombed. I want so bad to try again. I looked at the tutorial. I think I failed at the point where I needed to take out some at trace and used a plastic squeeze bottle with a pointy spout.

The problem I had was getting the mixture from my bowl...into the plastic bottle....

any suggestions? I also think I had it to thick?

Oh, so do I take out the 1/3 at half trace....then put in my color and trace that part...or do I just put it in the bottle at half trace?

Hope I did not confuse anyone besides myself.

Annmarie0407 said:
What do u use for the black color? I Love it. I tried to use activated charcoal, but it did not come out dark enough.

I actually used ground cinnamon mixed with some of my soap. It turned almost black - but when the soap is wet it goes light brown again.

My other question is in regards to swirling. I tried it once and I bombed. I want so bad to try again. I looked at the tutorial. I think I failed at the point where I needed to take out some at trace and used a plastic squeeze bottle with a pointy spout.

I just took about 1/3 cup (from a 2 lb batch) and mixed it with about a tbsp. of cinnamon. It was a thicker consistency than the soap (I was thinking if it was heavier it might sink down into the soap better - it didn't though!) I just poured it from the bowl, about 5" above my soap.

The problem I had was getting the mixture from my bowl...into the plastic bottle....

I just poured it straight from the bowl.

Oh, so do I take out the 1/3 at half trace....then put in my color and trace that part...or do I just put it in the bottle at half trace?

I waited till the whole batch was at a medium-ish trace (from what I could tell - I'm still a super-newbie!) I mixed the cinnamon with some soap for my swirl, and then I went back to stick blending my original soap batch for another minute or so.

Back