Melting cocoa butter and shea butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basia

Reaction score
What is the easiest way to melt both:cocoa butter and shea butter, and at what tempature? :roll:

Exactly what Sue said... it takes a bit to melt the cocoa butter. I find that about 2 oz of cocoa butter melts in the microwave in about 1 1/2 minutes maybe 2 (all microwaves are different though so I would start at a minute and go to 30 second bursts so your butter doesn't get grainy)... then when your cocoa butter is all melted just add the shea... shea melts really easy and will melt with the heat of your melted cocoa butter, this also decreases your chance of the butters getting grainy.

Yup to all of the above. I always melt my hardest oils first, then add the softer oils or butters until everything's melted. Don't want to risk scorching your softer butters!

I've always started with melting cocoa butter in my little crockpot then once thats melted I turn it off add the shea butter...but the microwave is sounding much faster!

Sometimes I see tubes of "100% cocoa butter" at the local drug store...like in the African American hair section. Is that OK to soap with?

Read the ingredients and make sure it's really 100% cocoa butter, you'll see it's usually cocoa butter in some sort of carrier and may have a preservative.

Latest posts

Back