SLSA fo CP or HP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrWho19

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used SLSA powder in their HP or CP formula. I would like to spice up my soap with some extra bubbles. ;)

Dunno. The melt point is pretty high and I imagine it would foam like crazy once the stick blender hit it. Only one way to find out!

HP would probably be a better bet.

I've personally never tried it, but I've read of a few people (on another forum) who made CP with it. From what I read, it was recommended to dissolve the SLSa in water first and then very carefully hand stir it into the soap batter after you have stickblended your batter to the emulsification stage. The goal is to add it in such a way as to avoid foaming (or at least foaming too much) :wink: .

I don't have a clue as to how much one would add, though. MMS sells it and recommends starting out with a usage rate of between 1% and 3%, but those figures are based on using it in bath bombs, shampoos, M&P, cream soaps, etc.. I didn't see a specific recommended usage rate for CP. The MMS site says that it can be used up to 50% in products, though.

You can also increase your lather quite effectively by just playing around with the oil amounts in your formula. That's what I do. Oils that increase bubbles are Coconut, PKO, and Babassu.

Other additives that soapers use to affect their lather are sugar, honey, beer and sodium lactate. If you are experiencing decreased suds from having hard water, adding a little Tetrasodium EDTA and/or sodium citrate helps quite effectively according to many soapers. The tetrasodium EDTA also helps prevent the formation of soap scum.

IrishLass :)

Hmm, I may have to try the tetrasodiam EDTA. I bought it for another application and did not end up liking the product. Now it is sitting on the shelf without a purpose....

How much Ppo is recommended? When do you add? I suppose dissolved in water first?

ToniD said:
Hmm, I may have to try the tetrasodiam EDTA. I bought it for another application and did not end up liking the product. Now it is sitting on the shelf without a purpose....

How much Ppo is recommended? When do you add? I suppose dissolved in water first?

I always have some on hand because I use it in my lotions along with Phenonip (as a preservative booster). So far, I've only ever used it in one batch of soap. The verdict is still out as far as the soap is concerned because it's a recent batch and I haven't used any soap from it yet.

Anyway, what I ended up doing (based on the recommendations of other soapers who use it), is that I first made a 39% solution of the EDTA and slightly warmed distilled water, and then I used .5% of the solution per the total weight of my soap batch (not ppo, but the gross weight of the entire batch). I added the solution to my batter at light trace.

From all I've read, it really helps with lathering in hard water. Oh, I forgot to mention this- according to Dr. Kevin Dunn, besides soap scum, it also helps to prevent DOS.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back