High altitude unmolding problems

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llove1

Reaction score
I have made several batches of soap now. Some were my own recipes made using what I had handy around the house, some were following others recipes. None of them wanted to come out of the molds. No matter how long I wait, I end up having to use a knife around the edge. Even then the middle of the top sticks to the molds and I have to scoop it out and put it back on the bar by hand. No one else seems to have had problems with these recipes. Could it be caused by the altitude I live at? Over 5000 feet. What can I do to get these bars to release? Especially from fancy molds?

-Leah Love

usually petroleum jelly, like vaseline. i tried plastic bags too, it stuck to the bag.

I soap at 5280 altitude and haven't had a problem, and can't think why high altitude might effect it (but baking - ugh.) I use freezer paper in my molds as I'm not doing fancy shapes. For myself, I've found its important to give the soap a 24 hour wait before I un mold. Hard to do when you're excited about your latest batch!

I live at 5500 feet. I use freezer paper to line my log molds and no problem. Waiting at least 24 hours helps. I don't use fancy molds so I can't help you there.

I use shelf liner or contact paper, works great. For fancy, try using silicone molds they pop right out!

What is the texture of the soap that gets stuck in the mold? Is it still soft? It might help to post your recipes, maybe something needs to be tweaked.

Back