GM Soap Success!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmellyKat

Reaction score
WOO HOO!!! My GM soap turned out great!!! I used the CP 50/50 "split" with the lye water and half GM right before trace. Threw the mold in the beer fridge over night and cut the bars the next afternoon.
Very nice off white color. I used lavender and bergomot EOs.
I am so happy!!

Waiting for some milky way sillicone molds to get here and just ordered some EOs and FOs from Camden-Grey.

Next experiment will be trying to get some color in my soaps. swirls, etc.

Smellykat

You're going to love using it! :D

I need to get making more soap - I've given away so much lately. . . and I have several chunks of frozen goat's milk in the freezer ready to go.

SmellyKat said:
WOO HOO!!! My GM soap turned out great!!! I used the CP 50/50 "split" with the lye water and half GM right before trace. Threw the mold in the beer fridge over night and cut the bars the next afternoon.
Very nice off white color. I used lavender and bergomot EOs.
I am so happy!!

Congratulations! Colors and swirls are SO much fun, you're gonna love it, and right, there'll be no stopping you now!

Thanks to all who responded with advice about pumpkin quantity. I made a batch of pumpkin soap with pumpkin ale and goat milk last night, and it's really lovely, a perfect pumpkin color :)

congratulations! you're doing better than me then... my attempt yesterday is better left undescribed! lol.

albo said:
congratulations! you're doing better than me then... my attempt yesterday is better left undescribed! lol.

I would suggest using Irishlass GM process. It worked for me. :)

Yay! I'm so happy for you! :) I wish I could take credit for the technique, but it's a tip I picked up a few years back when I was reading all I could get my hands on regarding GM soap and furiously taking down copious notes. Somewhere along the way, I unfortunately lost the source of the tip. Anyway, I love the technique. It has always worked wonderfully for me, and I'm so glad it has worked just as wonderful for you.

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
Yay! I'm so happy for you! :) I wish I could take credit for the technique, but it's a tip I picked up a few years back when I was reading all I could get my hands on regarding GM soap and furiously taking down copious notes. Somewhere along the way, I unfortunately lost the source of the tip. Anyway, I love the technique. It has always worked wonderfully for me, and I'm so glad it has worked just as wonderful for you.

I am glad everyone can share thoughts, ideas and recipes here. And I appreciate all the help!!
On to oatmeal and honey soap now!! hahaha :)

Congrats on the GM soap! I'm positively addicted to it now that Irish Lass solved all my GM problems. Just wish powdered GM was cheaper.

Sounds great, and you seem to be enjoying the entire process. Have fun with colors! it adds another whole dimension to it all (and a lot more work, er I mean 'fun').

Keep it up!

BakingNana said:
Congrats on the GM soap! I'm positively addicted to it now that Irish Lass solved all my GM problems. Just wish powdered GM was cheaper.

lol, I have 4 acres here. I was thinking of getting a couple of goats!!! :)

SmellyKat said:
BakingNana said:

Go for it! Goats are some of the most delightful, amusing, aggravating creatures you will ever meet. You won`t need to waste time watching tv for amusement, anymore. :lol: If you do decide to buy goats, do yourself a favour, find a reputable breeder - don`t buy from the auction or the guy down the road who has them tied out in the front yard. You`ll get happy, healthy goats who will produce milk, not scrawny creatures who couldn`t wet the bottom of the bucket. :D

Half Caper Farm said:
SmellyKat said:
BakingNana said:

Go for it! Goats are some of the most delightful, amusing, aggravating creatures you will ever meet. You won`t need to waste time watching tv for amusement, anymore. :lol: If you do decide to buy goats, do yourself a favour, find a reputable breeder - don`t buy from the auction or the guy down the road who has them tied out in the front yard. You`ll get happy, healthy goats who will produce milk, not scrawny creatures who couldn`t wet the bottom of the bucket. :D

Very good to know. There IS a guy down the road who owns goats, but they are in a pen. ummm, I wonder if they are happy goats??

Nothing wrong with keeping them in a pen, as long as they're well-fed, have fresh, clean water, shelter (from sun and wind and rain) and the pen isn't knee-deep in, well, you know! :p Goats are hard to fence in, especially larger areas (ask me how I know :lol: )

A healthy goat will have a shiny coat, pink eyelids, a large belly (rumen - if it's small, the goat doesn't have "body capacity" and can't produce a lot of milk) and a curious attitude. Hooves should be well-trimmed, not curling up like elf toes. A good dairy goat will look "bony" to a certain extent, but if she looks like a walking skeleton, not good.

Ok, enough "Goat 101", unless you want to send me a PM. I could talk goats all day (and will tomorrow - goat show! :D )

I am curious why goat milk is used so much more than regular milk or cream for soaping? Is it because goat milk has more fat in it?

dubnica said:
I am curious why goat milk is used so much more than regular milk or cream for soaping? Is it because goat milk has more fat in it?

I can't speak for everyone else, but I personally don't use cow milk/cream in my soap (anymore) because in the few times that I did use them, my finished batches of soap always ended up with an icky, sour, off-smell emmanating from the bars. I attribute the sour smell to the amount of butyric acid present in cow's milk/cream. GM has butyric acid, too, but in smaller amounts from what I understand. In comparison, my GM soaps have never exhibited that sour, off-smell. My cow milk/cream soaps felt great by the way- every bit as wonderfully creamy as my GM soaps, only they stank of sour milk.

Having said that, though, I know of other soapers who soap with cow milk/cream just fine, so maybe it's just that my olfactory nerves (smell receptors) are more sensitive than others when it comes to butyric acid.

Latest posts

Back