~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > Soap on a rope

Old 10-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #11
SoapAddict415

Liked 175 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gini View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVH4fwJJnHs

Here's a pretty good video and she tells you exactly what rope she's using.
Thank you 😊

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.
-Katharine Hepburn

Old 10-20-2017, 06:12 AM   #12
CaraBou
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2400 Times on 1124 Posts
Likes Given: 1832

I'm still working on the perfect soap on a rope for the elderly men in my life (which includes my dear old dad and my dh's granddad).

I want a very soft, long rope to hang around the neck so they never have to bend to pick up dropped soap. To date, the ropes I've bought have been too scratchy for 80+ year old skin. It's also been difficult to get a long enough loop around the neck and hang at a comfortable (mid-elbow) length, because as Gini's video shows, it's hard to deal with longer lengths. So, I'm thinking two ropes might be needed.

My idea is to start with just a single strand of rope embedded in the very center depth of the soap; that way there's less surface area for the soap to dissolve away from the rope than if there were two. This single rope could be fairly short and not much in the way while the soap is saponifying. After the soap has hardened, this end would be connected to another rope that is long, looped, and soft. A good sailor would know what type of knot would work, but I'll have to do some research!

Old 10-20-2017, 06:29 AM   #13
bathgeek
Vendor
SOAP_SPONSOR.png

Liked 63 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraBou View Post
My idea is to start with just a single strand of rope embedded in the very center depth of the soap; that way there's less surface area for the soap to dissolve away from the rope than if there were two. This single rope could be fairly short and not much in the way while the soap is saponifying. After the soap has hardened, this end would be connected to another rope that is long, looped, and soft. A good sailor would know what type of knot would work, but I'll have to do some research!
You know, if you find waterproof lanyards (which can't be that hard to find), you could then just connect the soap to the lanyard. The lanyard would be reusable, and just discard the little soap loops once the soap has been used.
People Like This 
Old 10-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #14
soapmaker
Soapmaker

Liked 52 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraBou View Post
I'm still working on the perfect soap on a rope for the elderly men in my life (which includes my dear old dad and my dh's granddad).

I want a very soft, long rope to hang around the neck so they never have to bend to pick up dropped soap. To date, the ropes I've bought have been too scratchy for 80+ year old skin. It's also been difficult to get a long enough loop around the neck and hang at a comfortable (mid-elbow) length, because as Gini's video shows, it's hard to deal with longer lengths. So, I'm thinking two ropes might be needed.

I didn't like the looks of the short loops in the video. I was thinking to do the short loops, Then tie a longer loop in that loop but not sure how having a knot would look either. Perhaps around the neck is the best, but maybe also your dear old gentlemen could put it on a wrist.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #15
CaraBou
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2400 Times on 1124 Posts
Likes Given: 1832

^^I was thinking two loops too, as it would be easier to secure together than a single strand and a loop. And the short loop would be more self-supporting than a single strand would be (i.e., less likely to fall onto the soap while it's saponifying).

When I made SOAR previously, I used one long loop and devised a way to hold the ropes off of the soap in the mold. But it was a PITA and needs a design overhaul if I was to use that concept again.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #16
SoapAddict415

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgeek View Post
You know, if you find waterproof lanyards (which can't be that hard to find), you could then just connect the soap to the lanyard. The lanyard would be reusable, and just discard the little soap loops once the soap has been used.
Awesome idea!

-Katharine Hepburn

Old 10-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #17
soapmaker
Soapmaker

Liked 52 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgeek View Post
Good idea if you're making them for family, then they would be reusable but if you sell....

Old 10-22-2017, 12:25 PM   #18
NsMar42111

Liked 80 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 431

I think they meant resuseable as in repurposeable, not give it back and I'll make another soap on a rope?

Old 10-22-2017, 11:25 PM   #19
SoapAddict415

Quote:
Originally Posted by NsMar42111 View Post
I think they meant resuseable as in repurposeable, not give it back and I'll make another soap on a rope?
I was thinking reusable as in they could put future gifts of soap on a rope on the lanyard or repurpose it like you said for keys or something else.

Sent from my Z828 using Soap Making mobile app

-Katharine Hepburn