Question about challenges

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All excellent feedback.

I don't like the idea of prizes although the offer of an SMF sticker was perfectly fine. I was thinking of monetary prizes or product prizes so no worries about the sticker this month, or any other month. I'm glad we can steer away from that.

Thanks for the ideas so far. Some of them are on the list, like multiple colors, gradients, negative embeds (and we can put regular embeds down too). We have a fairly long list but even longer is better as it gives more options. I'll pop the other ideas on our list. And Galaxy is right- who ever is hosting has to be able to make a decent version of the soap presented so it can be challenging to us as well. We don't always know what to think if there are relatively few entrants and even fewer entries, which prompted my initial questions. Yes, I know the universe does not revolve around the challenges and people have lives, but it is worth asking about so we know if we should change something.

I am not very holiday-oriented so for me the holiday months do not preclude soaping but for many people of various persuasions, December in particular can be busy. Doing a relatively less intensive challenge on a month like that is a good idea, I think.

I'm with IL. A seemingly "simple" technique can be very difficult to pull off well. The drop swirl challenge was quite difficult for me, I will admit. Sometimes people see a soap and assume it's difficult if it's got more going on in it, but that is not always the case. I often find a more minimal soap to be harder because there is nothing to hide behind! So I hope people will try something out even if they think it looks more complicated; it can be deceptive.

Keep ideas for challenges coming, as well as opinions. All are valued.

I really like the challenges - having something to work at each month. The combination of technique and theme challenges keeps things fresh. I haven't been able to participate in as many as I would like due to life insanity. That should be getting better in September so make sure that month is a good one!

I'm with the others, no need for prizes... I like it that we keep it friendly with low stakes (e.g. Great British Bake-Off vs Chopped).

Above all, thanks for all the work that goes into organizing them!

I have no idea what other people see when coming on to the Forum. When I come on, the challenge main thread and, once entries open, the entry thread are almost always on the first page of the Lye-Based Soap Forum and very easy to spot. Occasionally the entry thread will fall to the second page during the month, but it's usually not back any further than that.

Earlene, do you mean earlier months' challenges are difficult to find? I don't think the mods and admins are keen to add on another subforum or whatever they are called, but if you go to the search engine and type in January Challenge, for instance, it should pop right up in the search. The current month's challenge is usually visible in the "Newest Threads" box over to the right. ---->>>>

I added all the suggestions so far to the list. Some were already on there but it was nice to add a few more!

Oh! Re: prizes that aren't monetary in any way, what about a little banner that winners get to put in their signature? We did that in another forum I was in once.

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth. If there was a prize, I definitely would not enter. I've only been soaping a little more than a year. While I know what I'm doing, when it comes to making a batch of soap, I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to swirls and colors and techniques. I look at the soaps y'all post as your fails and think, "Dang, I wish my awesome soaps looked that good." I'm still intimidated when I post my photos of my soaps, but you know what? It's soap...it'll get you clean. And, every batch I make gets better. I've gotten wonderful, amazing complements from people on this forum that make incredible soap, so that truly makes me feel great. These challenges, to me, are fun learning processes; we all get to vote on who our favorite contributor is. There are some that have been making soap for a long while and consistently turn out amazing results. For me, if there was a prize involved, I wouldn't participate because I'd feel like I was a finger painter up against the likes of Michelangelo or DaVinci.

If there were experience levels of competition, I still wouldn't participate. One year for one person isn't the same as one year for another person. Although the time frame is the same, the number of batches--therefore the comfort and/or skill level--is completely different. Making experience levels by batch numbers would be too complicated/confusing and not worth the effort and energy needed to put into it. That would become a full time job in itself.

I sign up for just about every challenge since I started doing the challenges and usually manage to make at least one batch for it. (I didn't soap in the winter, though. SAD kicks in around Oct/Nov and I can't function well until Feb/Mar.) I may not post a photo for it, but I try it out the technique.

You saw my butt ugly fail in this month's challenge, didn't ya? don't be too hard on yourself. I've only colored soap 3 times to date so I'm way worse.

Oh! Re: prizes that aren't monetary in any way, what about a little banner that winners get to put in their signature? We did that in another forum I was in once.

That's a cute idea, DragonGirl! I'm with everyone else, no prize necessary. But a little banner by your name might be something to think about.

My sentiments mirror everyone else's so I won't go into a long rant about it. I LOVE these challenges and look forward to them. I think monthly is dandy. You guys putting them together totally rock! I know how much time is involved so I appreciate all you do.:)

I have no idea what other people see when coming on to the Forum. When I come on, the challenge main thread and, once entries open, the entry thread are almost always on the first page of the Lye-Based Soap Forum and very easy to spot. Occasionally the entry thread will fall to the second page during the month, but it's usually not back any further than that.

Earlene, do you mean earlier months' challenges are difficult to find? I don't think the mods and admins are keen to add on another subforum or whatever they are called, but if you go to the search engine and type in January Challenge, for instance, it should pop right up in the search. The current month's challenge is usually visible in the "Newest Threads" box over to the right. ---->>>>

I added all the suggestions so far to the list. Some were already on there but it was nice to add a few more!

I am talking about past challenges being hard to find. I searched for all of them to see what kinds of techniques I might want to try. The titles of the challenge thread is usually standard and easy to find with the search function, but that is not the case with the entry threads. In order to find some of them I had to go back dozens of pages and more and look for a thread in the general timeframe and read the thread titles so I could find the desired challenge entry thread. It was pretty time consuming and after going back a year, I decided it was enough.

I have no difficulty finding the current month, nor the previous couple of months. But I was interested in seeing all of them. When did they start?

Last edited:
I love the challenges to push myself. I sometimes don't have time so if I don't do a challenge it's only cause I just can't do it. But I wouldn't have come this far without pushing myself so I really appreciate the opportunities.

As far as themes, I really like what we have done so far and I look forward to trying the ribbon swirl and any other new ones that come up. It's a perfect way to try something new.

Last edited:
earlene said:
am talking about past challenges being hard to find. I searched for all of them to see what kinds of techniques I might want to try. The titles of the challenge thread is usually standard and easy to find with the search function, but that is not the case with the entry threads. In order to find some of them I had to go back dozens of pages and more and look for a thread in the general timeframe and read the thread titles so I could find the desired challenge entry thread. It was pretty time consuming and after going back a year, I decided it was enough.

Earlene, I've found that it's much quicker and easier to find things via our 'Advanced Search' function as opposed to our regular/default search function. The 'Advanced Search' function lets you fine-tune/narrow your search parameters down more specifically so that you don't have to waste your time wading through pages and pages of irrelevant stuff. Here is the single/solitary page of search results that popped up when I used the 'Advanced Search' to search for our challenge entry threads (it lists every single challenge entry thread dating all the way back to the very first one that took place last year in July 2015: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/search.php?searchid=1324014

I found them by clicking on the 'Advanced Search' option and typing the following into the search box: +challenge +entry. Then I clicked on the little arrow in the box located just underneath the search entry box that says 'Search Entire Threads', so that it would change to 'Search Titles Only'. Then lastly, I clicked on the 'search' icon on the bottom of the page..... and up popped the above linked page with every single entry thread.

The 'Advanced Search' feature can be reached by first clicking on the 'Search this forum' icon as you would normally do when you'd go to search for anything on the forum, but instead of typing your words into the search box that pops up, move your cursor down about 1" below to where it says 'Advanced Search', and click on it. When you do, it will take you to a brand new page where you can then fine tune your search parameters.

HTH!
IrishLass :)

It took me ages to get the courage to enter challenges. When I have time I enter now and post regardless of my success. I think it's good for newbies to see that not every attempt works out but it's still soap.

I wouldn't sorry about setting repeat challenges. I haven't tried the negative imprint technique and a lot of other past challenges so would like some repeats.

I am not into prizes.

Earlene, I've found that it's much quicker and easier to find things via our 'Advanced Search' function as opposed to our regular/default search function. The 'Advanced Search' function lets you fine-tune/narrow your search parameters down more specifically so that you don't have to waste your time wading through pages and pages of irrelevant stuff. Here is the single/solitary page of search results that popped up when I used the 'Advanced Search' to search for our challenge entry threads (it lists every single challenge entry thread dating all the way back to the very first one that took place last year in July 2015: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/search.php?searchid=1324014

I found them by clicking on the 'Advanced Search' option and typing the following into the search box: +challenge +entry. Then I clicked on the little arrow in the box located just underneath the search entry box that says 'Search Entire Threads', so that it would change to 'Search Titles Only'. Then lastly, I clicked on the 'search' icon on the bottom of the page..... and up popped the above linked page with every single entry thread.

The 'Advanced Search' feature can be reached by first clicking on the 'Search this forum' icon as you would normally do when you'd go to search for anything on the forum, but instead of typing your words into the search box that pops up, move your cursor down about 1" below to where it says 'Advanced Search', and click on it. When you do, it will take you to a brand new page where you can then fine tune your search parameters.

HTH!

Thanks, IrishLass, I used your parameters to search and got this result: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/search.php?searchid=1324141

Does the link work for you? Yours doesn't work for me, but the list I get is a single page like you said.

So does that mean the challenges have only been going on for a year? Cool!

Anyway, Thankyou. I guess it was the plus (+) sign that did the trick.

I also put the words entry thread into the regular search and it came up with them all, although there were some extra titles to go through, but most of those were the main challenge threads. We should probably standardize the title of the entry threads so they are easier to search for in future. Thanks for bringing it up!

Oh my gosh. Like I said, that is far from "butt ugly." We are our own worst critics. I like it. (And I'm NOT saying that to make you feel better. That's not on my agenda in life. I don't placate.)

I know but I found your soaps be really cool and I can't use those micas at all until I can determine if they give me the itchies. Zumbar soaps were good for that, not to throw brands out like that.

Thanks, IrishLass, I used your parameters to search and got this result: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/search.php?searchid=1324141

Does the link work for you? Yours doesn't work for me, but the list I get is a single page like you said.

Yay- I'm glad the search worked for you! :) In regards to the link you supplied- nope, it does not work for me. And the link that I provided for you is no longer working for me either, which is strange because I checked it twice right after I posted it last night and it was working perfectly fine then. Hmmm...weird. :confused:

So does that mean the challenges have only been going on for a year? Cool!

Yep!

Anyway, Thankyou. I guess it was the plus (+) sign that did the trick.

My pleasure!

Also- just in case anyone is not aware of this, we have provided an easy way of being able to find and click onto the tutorial/sign-up thread of whatever current challenge is going on, no matter what part of the forum you might happen to be on at any given time: Simply scroll to the top of whatever page you are on and click directly on the challenge announcement, which is located in the upper light khaki-green area, just below the dark brown SMF header area (it should be visible on every page of every sub-forum). The announcement looks like this: ~*~ SMF July Challenge - Clyde Slide! ~*~. Just click on that and it will take you directly there.

Now that I mention it, underneath that link, we should also provide a direct link to the current entry thread as well. I will confer with my fellow Modmins and see about getting it done!

Back