Bulk salt for salt bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paintguru

Reaction score
Anyone have any good bulk sources for fine salt to use in salt bars? I'm getting a little sick of just buying 26 oz sizes at the grocery store since a batch can take up almost one whole container. My CostCo didn't have it, and Gordon's Food Supply had 25 lb bags of iodized salt.

Your Gordon's had big bags of salt? Mine didn't! What's wrong with it being iodized, aren't your 26-oz containers iodized? I've been using iodized except for my last purchase, where I found salt for the same price as Aldi, $.39, at a different shop, and it is not iodized. Canning salt is more $/lb than the Aldi table salt.

Thanks for the leads, Paillo I will check those out. I'm also thinking about contacting Morton Salt to ask how I get a 50-lb bag. Or talking to Menard's, a DIY store that I noticed had lots of 50-lb bags of other Morton salt products, maybe I can do a special order.

A trick I've developed for the round containers is to ignore the paper-covered metal spout and use a mat knife to cut a WIDE triangle into the cardboard. I also shake the salt vigorously before cutting it open. This way it pours out much faster and I don't stab myself dealing with the spout. I also learned that pouring into a shallow container lets me deal with any clumps much better.

San Francisco Salt Company is totally my go-to. http://www.sfbsc.com/ . Love the variety, it's usually free shipping, and turnaround time is really, really fast. Also check out Midwest Salt Company, sometimes they have fantastic sales.

This is where I purchase all my salt. They are a fantastic company and very fast shipping. There is one more company I can think of off the top of my head which is Salt Works, but I still prefer SFSC

Your Gordon's had big bags of salt? Mine didn't! What's wrong with it being iodized, aren't your 26-oz containers iodized?

I've been getting the non-iodized 26-oz containers. I wasn't sure if it really mattered or not. As you say, it probably doesn't and I should just grab the bags at Gordon's. We do have Menards here as well so I may check them out too.

It seems like the SF salt company is more of a specialty place with gourmet salts.

Paintguru, at Menard's I've only seen salt pellets and chunks, I just thought maybe I could ask them to put a big bag of table salt in the next shipment since obviously a truck is coming from a salt distributor. I still can't believe your Gordon's has salt and mine doesn't, is the salt right by the other spices? That's where I looked. They also didn't have any coconut or palm oils.

I looked at SFSC and didn't see any table salt either.

Paintguru, at Menard's I've only seen salt pellets and chunks, I just thought maybe I could ask them to put a big bag of table salt in the next shipment since obviously a truck is coming from a salt distributor. I still can't believe your Gordon's has salt and mine doesn't, is the salt right by the other spices? That's where I looked. They also didn't have any coconut or palm oils.

I looked at SFSC and didn't see any table salt either.

Yeah it was in the spices area. Paper 25 lb bag.

Thanks. I'll call them and see if they do have it at mine and I missed it, or can order it.

Latest posts

Back