Just starting out

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traceyann

Reaction score
Hey all , I have decided to have a go at making some candles, I have read quite a few posts on this forum and looked at a few websites.....from what I can gather Parrafin is a good starting wax for a beginner ???? But what confuses me is what do I add to it ???? Stearic or Vybar ???and how do I work out how much.

I am thinking about making a Pillar candle first up and I really like the Pyramid candles.

I have quite a few oxides and also FOs from CP soap making as well as silicone molds ....can these be used in the candle making process ??

I am also in Australia ( Gold Coast )....any supplier suggestions ????

Thanks Trace

I'd recommend skipping the additives for now and using a blend. Not sure what is available by you thou. You will want a wax supplier as close as possible since shipping can be expensive.

Oxides will probably clog the wick so not recommended.

Good luck. I have no candle knack tho I've tried many times. SoAp is easy - candles is hard.

Trace, this is where I've been getting my stuff from-

www.naturalcandlesupply.com.au

They are in Sydney,the site has a lot of info on it to tell you what wax to use for what you are making. They have moulds and they tell you how much it will usually take in wax.
I haven't used oxides in my soy melts,but have bought coloured wax especially for candles and the FO's shouldn't be a problem.Not sure about the silicon - you can email them for more info on that.

Relle.

Just had a look - looks like you need - blending palm wax and ecosoya pillar blend and do 50/50.

Back