When masterbatching lye never ASS ume

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwarren

Reaction score
I wondered why my masterbatch turned to sludge ... :roll:

I ASS umed the 16oz container of lye was 16oz :oops:

I measured today .. 18.4 oz :shock:

hence 4 lbs of water and only God knows how much lye :(

MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE !!!

That SUCKS! I would be so p#*#sed off.

Aside from that, I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving :)

I buy a 50# bag... then measure it out 4# each into plastic gallon ziplocs and I write "4#" on the bag (just in case I should have a doubt). When it comes time to master batch I know it is already measured so I just have to measure my liquid.

I did 1 batch that turned out fine ... I must have stared with a partial container and measured it all ..

the next time I must have started with fresh container .. I had NO clue why it was sluggish..

Yesterday .. I thought - Hum I should weight this... and sure enough .. 18.4 So the lightbulb went off...

I mostly wanted to share with new people, thinking about doing it .. if the look up masterbatch of lye.. they will come across this info..

cwarren said:
I wondered why my masterbatch turned to sludge ... :roll:

I ASS umed the 16oz container of lye was 16oz :oops:

I measured today .. 18.4 oz :shock:

hence 4 lbs of water and only God knows how much lye :(

MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE !!!

Did you buy the lye in the 16oz container, or were you assuming that if you filled a 16oz container, you'd get 16oz of lye? It's important for people to realize that most of the places that sell lye in "1lb" or "2lb" increments are really just filling 16oz or 32oz containers with lye and calling it x pounds. One fl oz != one weighed oz unless you happen to be dealing with a substance with the same specific gravity as water.

Back