Are cold process scents supposed to last on skin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alg587

Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to soap making and have made about 12 different scented soaps now. All of my frangrences are from Brambleberry and I used the calculator to determain how much fragrance to use. They all small amazing but when I use them in the shower I have no scent left on my skin. Is this normal?

Hi Alg587! Yes, soap is a wash off product, so the scent lasts (if you're lucky) about 3 minutes. If you want "stay-on" scent, you need a leave-on product such as lotion or perfume. You can make either with a few ingredients and some know-how. Check out our Bath and Body Forum.

I agree with Susie. Lotion, creams or body spray will give you longer lasting fragrance on the skin, and feel nice too!:)

Certain scents seem to stick around a bit better than others.

I washed my hands about 45 minutes ago and just gave them a sniff and still smell a bit of the "Sparkling Snowflake" FO on my hands. That scent in particular is quite strong so I'm not surprised.

I agree there are a few scents that do stick on the skin for awhile, but they're the exceptions to the rule in my experience. Most of my scents create a clear fragrance in the shower but only linger faintly for a short time afterwards.

Even my husband's pine tar soap -- as pungent a soap scent as most people can think of-- leaves only the smallest trace of scent on his skin after he's showered and dressed. I doubt anyone else but me could smell it, and even I have to get up close and real personal. ;)

I too only find a handful that actually stick and they are generally men's scents. NG's Cracklin Birch and Perfec Man smells good on my husband after showering.

Latest posts

Back