Shower gel issue - castille soap scent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helmanson

Reaction score
Hi

I tried making a shower gel using basic recipe and followed it. My prob was why it smells too much of castille soap?

Even if i put my oils and base... And i hav d c.soap as of recipe.

It stil.smell.like dishwashing soap?

1. Shud i use dr bronner instead?

Pls.lemme know..thanks!

H

Hi thank you..so i followed like for a small proportion jus to test:

3 tbs castille - unscented
3 tbs honey
2 tbs base oil ( i used coco virg)
essential oil

You're using "castille" soap to make your mixture, so I'm confused -- why shouldn't it smell like the soap?

How much and what kind of scent are you using? You just say "essential oil" but not the type and the amount.

im jus a bit frustrated like i added lavander about 30 drops but it seems like the castille soap scent is still over powering..

I'm sorry. Most everything thing here is handmade. If you are interested in making liquid Castile from scratch, there's a lot of information here for that. A lot of people here find Dr. Bronners to be too harsh, as well.

For what you are doing, you're best guidance will be bloggers who have done the same. Some allow comments on their websites and will answer questions. If you would like to learn how to make soap from scratch, speak up and we will be more than happy to help you out.

I agree with Artemis' advice. Also, have you considered you did not use enough scent? Usually liquid soaps are scented at 1% to 3% by weight.

I also question why you are using so much honey and fat in a product that's supposed to clean your skin. Why not make a soap that doesn't need these added ingredients and is mild and gentle?

A health concern -- adding that much honey and fat is going to encourage microbial growth.

Latest posts

Back