Dryer smell?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bathgeek

Reaction score
This is going to be a strange question, but... here goes. Does anyone know how to get that “doing laundry” smell in soap? You know, when you smell this smell immediately you think “someone’s doing their laundry”.

The fresh linen types of FOs to me don't have that 'doing laundry' smell. I've never tried them, but I'd be more inclined to use a laundry detergent type of FO. I know I've seen Gain, Tide and Downey out there.

I have not used it. The description claims that it smells like line dried laundry. To me that is better than a dryer exhaust. Why not read the reviews to see what they say?

I have not used it. The description claims that it smells like line dried laundry. To me that is better than a dryer exhaust. Why not read the reviews to see what they say?

Because I’ve already used fresh linen, if not from WSP, and it’s got the same review comments “fresh, clean, smells like laundry”. I concluded that “smells like laundry” to fragrancers/perfumers is “clean and fresh”.

There’s nothing wrong with clean and fresh. I like it a lot. I have a fresh linen soap myself. But it doesn’t have the very specific scent profile I’m looking for, which is that college-dorm laundry-room laundromat scent of nostalgia. ^_^

Nothing smells more like laundry than laundry soap, and you're not alone in wanting soap that smells like a laundry room, a dryer vent, line-dried sheets... someone could make a whole 'line' ha-ha of wonderful laundry-smelling soaps. I even love the smell of industrial laundry -- my parents had a shop when I was small, and I used to play in the yard out back. There was a laundry/dry-cleaner nearby, and the smell from their vents permeated the neighbourhood. Any time I smell something similar now, I'm transported back to my preschool days, counting pretty pebbles in the yard with my best friend Serena.

I have wondered about the possibility of soaping using those little in-wash scent pellets -- the ones called 'scent boosters' -- that you can buy in a range of scents. A few of the manufacturers make them now. I have no idea if they're safe, or usable, but it seems to be since they're designed to add to laundry soap, and their primary purpose is to add a perfume that's obviously deemed skin-safe since it stays on clothes, there's possibility there.

The trouble is, I have no idea *exactly* what they ARE; all they say on the bottle in terms of ingredients is "perfume dispersant, perfume, dye"

I googled perfume dispersant and apparently it's a weird and wonderful proprietary chemical soup -- I was hoping maybe we could soap with these little fragrance pellets by adding them into oils or dissolving them in water and creating a fragrance oil (maybe we can, I'm no chemist). Here's what an article abstract from wiki says about it:

"A fragrance dispersant composition for dispersing fragrance oil in an aqueous hard surface cleanser comprising a mixture of N(2-hydroxyethyl)acetamide, anionic surfactant capable of mixing with said N(2-hydroxyethyl)acetamide to form a homogeneous solution, and fragrance oil. The fragrance dispersant composition may be mixed with water and one or more detergents to formulate an aqueous hard surface cleanser."

Yeah... that doesn't clear anything up for me, are there any chemists here?
I think even if these were deemed safe to use in soap, someone who sells soap wouldn't want to use them for legal reasons -- nobody wants to get into a legal battle with Gain or Tide.

^^^^ I think bath geek is just looking for an FO that smells like laundry.

Bathgeek
Unfortunately our noses are all different and what I love you may hate.
You will just have to go through all the ones out there and test them. :(

This is the closest I've smelled to laundry. Its a weird scent, sometimes it smells fresh and cool, other times I smell grape jelly but most of the time, I smell dryer sheets. My daughter smells laundry every time. Might not be exactly what you are looking for but I like it a lot more than the typical laundry scent.

https://www.brambleberry.com/Fresh-Snow-Fragrance-Oil-P3655.aspx?ItemId=55558614&Options=7990

Oh, interesting... I may have to try that one. I didn't like their champagne snow much, but the description of fresh snow helps. I've noticed that juniper-y scents remind me of laundry. Thanks!

Oh, hmm. Looks like a juniper-y base (with some lily and rose and maybe musk) softened with heliotrope might be the answer. Now I have to find these notes... ^_^

I love the smell of laundry being done too. I believe that justscents.com has Downey type scented fragrance oils. Maybe you could try 1 of those or a combo of Downey & Gain type fragrances?

Oooooh. That sounds like exactly what I need. I’ll grab a sample. Thank you!

The fresh linen type scents to me smell like clothes drying out on the line in the sunshine. It's the best "doing laundry" scent I've ever tried, and for me it brings back nostalgia of my sister and I running through my grandma's sheets she hung out on the line in the summer time. Smells exact to me, and evokes that sense of familial love.

So pretty much “fresh laundry drying on the line” vs “fresh laundry tumble drying in the machine”. ^_^

Back