~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Beginners Soap Making Forum > What recipe should I use?

Old 10-21-2017, 12:16 PM   #1
MissLunaB

Liked 24 Times on 12 Posts

Default What recipe should I use?

I pretty much decided that I'm going to take the cheap and easy way out and make soap as Christmas presents for my coworkers and family. I have a truffle idea but my biggest problem is I don't have enough experience with recipes yet to know what ingredients produce "luxurious" bars. Everyone pretty much like like my first bar of soap but I want to give them a good creamy soap that they can share with anyone, so no tallow. I was thinking a Shea, OO, Goat or coconut milk combo but once again I don't even know where to start. I just started playing with water percentage(I'm going to make a new batch in a few days) and I know I have to get these started by the end of the month to at least get a good cure. So please help!

Old 10-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #2
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8290 Times on 3966 Posts
Likes Given: 3822

Then your oo and other liquid oils needs to be on the lower side rather than higher, or the cure time will just be too high.

You mentioned making it for the friends and coworkers, but then about them sharing it. I would just concentrate on them and not what they might use it for, so if none are vegan then go with tallow. If palm isn't an issue, it's also an idea

Old 10-21-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
Obsidian

Liked 4630 Times on 2712 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I have this vegetarian recipe that is pretty good. Its can be a bit soft though so I recommend a water discount and maybe a little salt to harden it up.
If you don't want to use stearic, add the 3% to the shea.

http://www.evernote.com/l/ANjoJN_Kyd...5wqR-lIaRRku8/

Old 10-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4908 Times on 2858 Posts
Likes Given: 1259

This is my go to veggie if you are not opposed to palm 49% palm, 18% PKO, Coconut or a mix of the two, 15% Avocado, 13% Canola (or 28% any soft oil), 5% Castor

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area
Millie Likes This 
Old 10-22-2017, 01:11 AM   #5
MissLunaB

Liked 24 Times on 12 Posts

Default What recipe should I use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Efficacious Gentleman View Post
Then your oo and other liquid oils needs to be on the lower side rather than higher, or the cure time will just be too high.

You mentioned making it for the friends and coworkers, but then about them sharing it. I would just concentrate on them and not what they might use it for, so if none are vegan then go with tallow. If palm isn't an issue, it's also an idea
I have very simple coworkers, to put it nicely, I said there was tallow in my soap (had to explain what it was) and a few got weirded out. I think if I can say palm free and no animal fats they I won't have to inwardly roll my eyes when I see people cringe when I explain what's in the soap.
The goats milk was a thought because my old boss was so happy to find a soap that works on her granddaughter's skin and it had goats milk in it and she really likes the feel of it.
I have this weird habit of taking bits and pieces of information from several places and cramming them into one spot to make a solution XD

Last edited by MissLunaB; 10-22-2017 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Spelling