First Time LSoaper - Are these bubbles or something else?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emalia

Reaction score
Ok, so I have to admit I mostly followed the Thompson book..

Olive 14.4
Coconut 2.7
Castor .9
KoH 3.9
Water 11.5
Total weight 33.4

Cooked along time, like 8-10 hours (seemed like forever) it never really got what I would call translucent like all the pics I see. My test for clarity took a long time to dissolve but was crystal clear. It sat overnight still crystal clear. Ended up with 23.25 oz of paste.
1. So I am guessing severely over cooked.
2. Started to dilute yesterday with 16 oz water. stick blended it that made paste. Let it sit awhile just in case. (that was a joke.)
3. Added 3.85 oz water, that helped a bit, stick blended and let it sit. It seemed that the bubbles NEVER moved, so it was an airy blob.
4. Added an additional 4.15 oz of water, that did the trick very quickly, it settled down to a clear thick liquid. Let it sit overnight cause it was late.
5. This morning, it is beautiful with a little layer on top of what appears to be bubbles that are trapped, and a very slight barely discernible skin? (is that the right word, maybe a sheen?).

Does it need more water? Or something else?

20171009_111013.jpg

If they seem to have any bulk to them, any heft, they're probably the last bits of undissolved paste. In that case, add a tiny bit more water and mix up again.

If they're airy and light they're probably just the last of the foam.

In either case, get that into a sealed container so your water stops evaporating. That's what probably caused your "skin" on top.

Pull that skin off. Pour the diluted soap into a sealable container of some sort (so you stop losing moisture like BrewerGeorge said). Then take that skin and add a TINY bit HOT water. Cover tightly. Let sit an hour. Repeat as needed until it is diluted completely. Then add it to the other soap.

Excellent job on your first liquid soap!

Did you know that you don't have to cook it at all?

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=46114

Post #8- follow the recipe and method. Works every time.

Back