Do your labels actually say "Soap"?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuddinAndPeanuts

Reaction score
If for instance, you have a lavender soap, do your labels just say "Lavender" or do they actually say "Lavender Soap"? (Aside from business name, ingredients, etc. of course).

I don't sell, but I do label my soap that I give as gifts. They say "Handcrafted Soap" then have the weight and ingredients listed, including listing each of the essential oils I used for fragrance in that soap. Unless there are a lot of regulatory changes in the next few years, if I ever do decide to sell I'll probably stick with the format, just add a bit more info to the label and invent fragrance names for the EO blends.

I use the word "soaps" in the business name. I feel that it should be self explanatory given the appearance of the bar and all, but I put it on there just in case. If you make soap cupcakes or the ones that look like slices of cake, I would definitely put the word soap on there.

After I made soap peeps for Easter I include the word soap in all my labels.They came out a little too realistic and the feedback was people were afraid they would be eaten. I didn't scent them with food scents but still..LOL...even an old peep isn't the consistency of a glycerine soap....I kept thinking they would only take 1 bite.....

I feel that it should be self explanatory given the appearance of the bar and all, but I put it on there just in case. If you make soap cupcakes or the ones that look like slices of cake, I would definitely put the word soap on there.

Yes, but I have had people ask me, "is that.... fudge?" So, I put "soap" somewhere on the label.

If you sell, the label needs to say "soap" to follow guidelines, at least in the USA. If you don't sell, then I'd still recommend it. An ingredients list isn't enough -- not everyone knows soap chemistry enough to understand what the ingredients list means. You might think a fresh bar of soap looks perfectly self explanatory, but after some months or years spent knocking around in a bathroom cupboard, it might not seem so obvious.

Yep..."common sense" isn't all that common these days...gotta CYA.
Soap Label Clip.JPG

It is amazing how people will ignore labels. When my daughter had her other part of the Company under the Name Marshmallow Soap Company a lady gave her child a "Marshmallow", to eat. The soaps were in a Cosmetic Sample box that she opened while driving and handed it back to her child. When she got home after
he hurled it back to her she called us swearing, yelling and threatening us with a lawsuit. My daughter informed her the label stated "Soap Do Not Eat," and asked her why she would not read a label before giving her child anything to eat. We never heard back. But without the word "Soap" we probably would have had a lawsuit. These fantastic little soaps did look and feel just like homemade marshmallows.

So yes, all my soap labels contain the word Handmade Soap within the label graphics with a white space to type or write in the fragrance. Keep in mind you cannot include ingredients within the soap name. I do not remember that exact wording of the rules, so you would have to look it up. So when I label the Soap Fragrance goes on one line and below I will add with oats, aloe etc. I interpreted that by adding the word with it would work, but who knows.

Latest posts

Back