Hard bar of soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytreats

Reaction score
i am Wanting to make a batch of soap for myself really quick because I ran out without even noticing. I can't use commercial soap because my skin is so sensitive to all those additives. I have included a recipe below that I found on soap queen. After 48 hours, do you think the loaf would be pretty hard so that I can cut it and use it? Because after 48 hours, it should be fully saponified, right? I know the soap probably won't last as long, but it'll get me by until my soap fully cures.

16 oz. Coconut Oil
16 oz. Palm Oil
16 oz. Olive Oil
2 oz. Castor Oil
13 – 19 oz. water
7.4 oz. lye

^^ What he said!

WAY too much coconut oil for me.

You need a minimum of 4-6 weeks curing time for CP, more or less the same for HP.

If you have a local farmer's market, someone will have soap you can buy. Get a couple of bars to give yourself time to cure your soap.

ETA- I re-ran this recipe, and while it is not a superfat amount I would like, it is not a crazy amount, either. Ignore my previous comment, please.

Last edited:
I agree with BrewerGeorge, that is not a recipe I would like. Even though coconut comes up as a hard oil it is also very soluble, in other words it melts quickly, which is why it can be used in salt water. Do you have any other oils available? I would up the Palm to 35-40%, I know some think it feels waxy but I do not unless it goes over 40%, lower the coconut to no more than 20% up the castor to 5% if you wish and use the balance in soft oils. I would personally split the difference between olive, HO sunflower, lard, HO safflower, avocado, crisco etc. Soap can saponify up to 72 hrs. I am not a great olive oil person, it always feels sticky to me.
:) What did you do Susie, I come up with a 3% Superfat!! LOL, one of us goofed...

Last edited:

You need a minimum of 4-6 weeks curing time for CP, more or less the same for HP.

I want to expound on this a bit further, because I get the motivation of the OP. That is, "I realize it's going to be subpar soap, but I have to have something to get by for the six weeks needed to cure the next batch."

The thing is, that soap just doesn't work right without some curing time. I made a batch of my standard body bar mid-month. This recipe is really great for lather after a six week cure. Well, I got lazy and threw the mixing pitcher and tools into my deep garage sink and left them there a couple weeks untouched.

Sunday night I needed to use the sink for something else, so I finally took the time to clean up. The soap just isn't right yet. It's not so much inferior as it is just plain bad. No lather at all. A little slimy from the 20% olive oil (That's gone after six weeks...) Overall, just kind of gross and unpleasant.

So the point I'm trying to make is that I would support your idea of settling for an inferior soap for a short time, IF inferior was all it was. But it's not inferior; it's not even really soap yet.

Why not just make soap using your own recipe and bathe with that instead? If you're willing to accept the disadvantages of using an uncured soap, I'd say it makes far more sense to use a soap that you know works for your skin rather than an untested recipe. What reservations do you have about that?

Whether the soap is hard or not, the issues the others have pointed out are still going to be there -- hard soap is not necessarily long lasting soap.

i am Wanting to make a batch of soap for myself really quick because I ran out without even noticing. I can't use commercial soap because my skin is so sensitive to all those additives. I have included a recipe below that I found on soap queen. After 48 hours, do you think the loaf would be pretty hard so that I can cut it and use it? Because after 48 hours, it should be fully saponified, right? I know the soap probably won't last as long, but it'll get me by until my soap fully cures.

16 oz. Coconut Oil
16 oz. Palm Oil
16 oz. Olive Oil
2 oz. Castor Oil
13 – 19 oz. water
7.4 oz. lye

You may be able to find a simple glycerin soap at the store that can get you by, unscented.

I use my high lard recipe soap sometimes when it's just days old and my skin doesn't suffer for it. Also, Irish Lass salt bar recipe works well for me at just a few days.

Make your usual recipe but hot process it.

Hot process certainly needs a cure like cp does, but it is milder quicker - the main issue with hp is that it doesn't last very long at all unless it cures well, but it sounds like that is not a worry for you.

If all the options that involve you making soap, I think this is the better of some bad options

16 oz. Coconut Oil
16 oz. Palm Oil
16 oz. Olive Oil
2 oz. Castor Oil
13 – 19 oz. water
7.4 oz. lye

This is the first recipe I made. It is a great hard bar and a lot of people liked it - especially farmers who liked to get clean - and those uneffected by coconut oil. I did cure it for 12 weeks before I used it though so no idea what it is like before then.

Tinytreats, are you sensitive to particular additives, or is your skin sensitive/easily irritated in general? If your skin is easily irritated in general, I do not recommend that recipe at all and I also do not recommend using it right away. In that case, I'd honestly recommend you go buy a bar to tide your over. The coconut is high - it will be VERY cleansing and harsh. Some people have no problems with that, some do. I've washed my hands with soap that was a week old and it is definitely harsh and drying.

If you are fine with a harsher soap, then I'd follow Effy's (tee hee) recommendation and hot process it. You could hot process it in a crockpot, or a nice hard gel in the oven would help as well, assuming your mold is up to it.

Back