Liquid Soapmaking Book!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindy

Soap Diva Queen
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I jus got my copy of Liquid Soaps by Catherin Failor - I am so excited. Interesting reading and I so want to try some of these. I'm just not sure when I'm going to be able to play with it yet.... :cry:

Those of you who have this book - have you made the soaps - how did they turn out - other comments????

TIA

Lindy

Hi Lindy, I have that book and like it very much. It is not flawless though. The best thing I can say is there is a lot of good information in there but read other sources that have other opinions and make small batches to test things. Read the whole book cover to cover before you start. Do not read say shampoos only and try to make one without reading shower gels. The 2 biggest issues you will have is having your product stay clear say below 60 deg. and not being too thin. ADD LESS WATER!!!! You can always add more later. The book says you can use oils high in palmitic and stearic acids if done so in small amounts, I say not at all. Trust me on this one.

As for the recipes in the book I have not followed one to the letter. I see what she tries to do by using different oils and use that information to make my own recipe. I don't think I have made a batch of soap yet where I followed a recipe 100%. I always go my own way.

Have fun making liquid soaps. I love it. Do handle the koh with care, it is not as nice as the other lye.

Bruce

I agree with Bigmoose, it's a good book and explains the process very well but I haven't actually used any of the recipes. I dilute mine by 1.5 times the weight of the paste and work from there, sometimes that is still too thin.
I use coconut and high oleic sunflower and it works pretty well, however I'm still very much a newbie myself.
Good luck Lindy

I am going to try a shower gel this weekend. A small batch, 20oz or less of oil. Soon I will have to buy more KOH as well. Only 2 or 3 lbs left.

Bruce

Latest posts

Back