First Day Soaper

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello soap community! My name is Bria and I am a newbie soap maker. I literally made my first experiment batches today! I actually learned way more than I expected and I'm now more excited than ever to jump in. I'm curious if there are any titles such as soap mentors? I learn best when I can have one-on-one interactions and I'm quite curious so I'll need a go-to mentor that can reign me in or guide my crazy ideas. Also, it'd be nice to have someone to reference and assist should I get stuck or discouraged. I know the basics and am totally into creating my own space in this community but I know who/how I am and I do best when I can ask all the questions and have someone saying yay or nay when I need it. Well I hope everyone's had a great weekend and is ready for an even better week. Even Hurricane Harvey won't stop me from soaping.

Welcome, Bria. I commented on another post of yours. Regarding using glass. I suggest you take a step back and review a few more safety cautions before your next batch. Glass is really not safe for making soap.

I would suggest you read all the posts that have a sticky (stuck to the top of each forum section). Some are safety related. Some are introductory to the forum. Some introductory to soap making. That's a good place to start. When you find time, perhaps read through some of the threads in the Beginner's Forum to get a feel for the forum and some helpful hints.

The threads that pop up on the right in the Newest Threads box, can be posted anywhere on the forum in different sections; some of those may or may not be of interest to someone first starting out, but some will as well.

If you want to look up a topic, there is a search function at the upper left of the page. Also when reading on a given page, if you scroll down to the bottom, you'll see a list of 5 other threads about the same topic.

Hi Bria and welcome to the forum. We have a great community for learning. I highly recommend reading the stickies in the forums and then reading the last 10 pages or so in the beginners section and lye sections. You will glean a whole lot of information for sure. But, if you have questions feel free to ask. Folks will reach out and help if they can.

I'm curious if there are any titles such as soap mentors? I learn best when I can have one-on-one interactions and I'm quite curious so I'll need a go-to mentor that can reign me in or guide my crazy ideas. Also, it'd be nice to have someone to reference and assist should I get stuck or discouraged.

Welcome, Bria! :wave:

Re: 'soap mentor' titles: Our forum does not bestow an official title of 'soap mentor' to any of our members, but have no fear- you've come to the right place, because our forum is positively brimming over with many experienced mentors who are always more than happy to provide guidance and encouragement. :) All you need to do is ask and you'll soon find out how many there exists amongst us. lol Feel free to PM any that you feel more comfortable with, but don't forget the old adage that there is often much wisdom to be gleaned amongst the company of many.

IrishLass :)

Where are you located? You may be able to connect with some soapers in your area. I've connected with 3 folks near me (I'm in Bham, AL). I don't think "mentor" is really the right word - more like enablers, LOL!

ETA: If you are interested in a particular area - such as milk soap, beer soap, elaborate swirls - you may do well to find members who are very good at those things and then send them PMs.

You mention Harvey - if you are in that area, prayers to you! Stay safe!

Curious...

Welcome, Bria. I commented on another post of yours. Regarding using glass. I suggest you take a step back and review a few more safety cautions before your next batch. Glass is really not safe for making soap.

I would suggest you read all the posts that have a sticky (stuck to the top of each forum section). Some are safety related. Some are introductory to the forum. Some introductory to soap making. That's a good place to start. When you find time, perhaps read through some of the threads in the Beginner's Forum to get a feel for the forum and some helpful hints.

The threads that pop up on the right in the Newest Threads box, can be posted anywhere on the forum in different sections; some of those may or may not be of interest to someone first starting out, but some will as well.

If you want to look up a topic, there is a search function at the upper left of the page. Also when reading on a given page, if you scroll down to the bottom, you'll see a list of 5 other threads about the same topic.

So...I was going back to research soaping equipment and I observed the Soap Queen mixing her oils and lye solution in glass containers...Now I'm confused...

Yup, you should be confused. Ideally, for the best safety measure, do not use glass. Lye degrades the structure of it and the container can suddenly and massively fail.

However, there are experienced soapers that use glass KNOWING the risk. That is their choice.

Borosilicate glass is better, but expensive. Pyrex containers are NOT necessarily borosilicate.

Easiest, safest choice is plastic with a recycle symbol with 2 or 5 on it.

BTW, this is a good example of why we forum people sometimes get testy at some posts....we don't like giving or teaching new people anything but the best methods or safest practices. Better to teach the correct way, than to have to unteach and reteach. A lye spill can be so harmful to someone with the wrong info.!

Thanks for asking!

Yes, that's true, she does. But it's NOT safe, honestly. Too many people here have had their Pyrex or other glass containers explode and soap explode while in the middle of making soap to ignore that safety issue.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=16707
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=19342

There have been many more threads related to the topic, but I'll just end with this video:

Thanks to IrishLass, a video of NaOH etching and dissolving glass:

https://youtu.be/nmktRTHL1NA

Got it...

Yup, you should be confused. Ideally, for the best safety measure, do not use glass. Lye degrades the structure of it and the container can suddenly and massively fail.

However, there are experienced soapers that use glass KNOWING the risk. That is their choice.

Borosilicate glass is better, but expensive. Pyrex containers are NOT necessarily borosilicate.

Easiest, safest choice is plastic with a recycle symbol with 2 or 5 on it.

BTW, this is a good example of why we forum people sometimes get testy at some posts....we don't like giving or teaching new people anything but the best methods or safest practices. Better to teach the correct way, than to have to unteach and reteach. A lye spill can be so harmful to someone with the wrong info.!

Thanks for asking!

Okay...that makes more sense. I've watched a lot of tutorials that used glass so I kept thinking lye wasnt good with plastic. Whew! Now what about the oils, can they be mixed in glass containers?

I Get It Now

Yes, that's true, she does. But it's NOT safe, honestly. Too many people here have had their Pyrex or other glass containers explode and soap explode while in the middle of making soap to ignore that safety issue.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=16707
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=19342

There have been many more threads related to the topic, but I'll just end with this video:

Thanks to IrishLass, a video of NaOH etching and dissolving glass:

https://youtu.be/nmktRTHL1NA

Thanks @earlene! It makes WAY more sense now. It's not the end of the world to use glass it just isn't the safest.

Okay...that makes more sense. I've watched a lot of tutorials that used glass so I kept thinking lye wasnt good with plastic. Whew! Now what about the oils, can they be mixed in glass containers?

Hello and welcome! Yes, oils only are fine in glass containers. Just don't mix your lye or oil/lye mixture in glass. I know, it's confusing at first...

I'm a little late... but I just want to say Howdy from Colorado, Bria! and...

Welcome.gif

Feel free to PM me if you need a little one-on-one. :)

Latest posts

Back