Hello

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombiepie

Reaction score
I'll start off by saying, I usually get super nervous about having to introduce myself, even online. I go by Zombie to most of my friends....its a long story. I currently make bath bombs, beard and hair oils, and I'm slowly branching out into soaps and candles as space permits. I usually tell people that I have all the hobbies of a 50s house wife, with the added bonus of video games haha. I am new to forums, and everything else around here. Lurking is what I'm good at :)

Anyways, thank you for reading, and I hope you all have a super great day or night depending on when you read this.

Hi, welcome! That sounds like a nice hobby combo. I like to put on a tough front, but I quilt in secret ;)

Hi Zombie! Funny, my husband has always told me that I have "old lady" hobbies (I also cross-stitch, color in adult coloring books, reading, soap-making, etc.). Hee! I also play video games- not as much since I had 2 kids, but I still play when I can.

Welcome, Zombie Pie! If lurking is what you're good at, go for it. I betcha it won't be long before we see a pic of your first soap. Resistance is futile. :)

My mom was a 50's housewife! I don't remember her having any hobbies. Taking care of a family of 5 was a full time job. Cooking 3 squares a day and clean-up. House cleaning once a week. Monday "Wash Day" was an all-day affair using an agitator with a hand-crank wringer first to get the soapy water out then again after rinsing. Clothes were hung outdoors on a line with long sticks to prop them up in the morning and brought in before starting dinner. Tuesdays were ironing days. Wed/Thurs take the bus into town to run errands, go to the bank and post office. Fridays were for grocery shopping and poker nights with aunts, uncles, grands. Saturday she cleaned church while we kids went to Catechism class. Saturday night was bath night. She polished everyone's shoes and laid out freshly pressed clothes for each of us for church in the morning. Sundays we would go for a drive after church to see relatives, have a picnic, or go fishing or to a lake for swimming. She also cut everyone's hair and made our clothes. All pretty normal stuff for most of the people we knew. Hard working, solid decent people -- the Greatest Generation. Nothing like today at all.

Welcome, zombiepie. I like your monikor.

My mom was a rebel in her youth, so in the 50's she didn't dress or behave like other typical 'housewives' all that much. So I'm not sure what hobbies a 50's housewife had. Other than sewing and reading and gardening, and making her own cigarettes with a rolling & cutting machine, I don't really remember much in the way of hobbies. I guess the reading and her art were her pleasure and relaxation activities, and since one definition of hobby is 'an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure' they were hobbies. The cigarette rolling was a money saving device, although I guess she did get some pleasure and relaxation out that as well (sadly since it was lung cancer that killed her.)

I learned to sew from my mom, but other needlework I learned from other relatives because she just wasn't interested in knitting, crocheting, tatting, quilting or needlepoint. But she was a skilled artist; her paintings are a pleasure to behold, as are her drawings. She was wonderfully supportive when it came to art projects for school.

Old ladies play video games, too. I am an 'old lady' and have been playing video games since before I had a computer (Pong, Ms. Pac Man, Galaga, Dig Dug, etc.) then my earliest favorite on my computer was Zaxon, and much later in the 90's my brother introduced me to the first Duke Nukem! But when he introduced me to Lara Croft in 2000's I was hooked to the adrenaline rush of these action games. Later I switched to video games I could play with my granddaughter, like Ratatouille and Kameo; then later Red Dead Redemption. I was addicted to Red Dead Redemption the same like with Lara Croft 20 years prior. I'd still play it if they'd make a new version!

At least my heart doesn't race and feel like it's going to pound itself out of my chest when I make soap. It's much more relaxing than videogames.

Although here in the midwest (and other parts of the country as well), 'videogaming' means something else to a lot of people. Here it apparently means gambling machines and we vote on weather or not to allow videogaming to be allowed within the city limits. That confused the heck out of me when I first saw that on the ballot!

Back