de-funk de pits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's so cool that it's working. are you going to try one of the pit detoxes too? they really seem to work. who knew? :)

i've heard people use empty spice jars or salt & pepper shakers. i used a cheese shaker for my dry dog shampoo and a former stevia powder container for my own powder. i'm going to use my nice glass spice containers when i use up some of my spices to replace the plastics.

I thought of doing that, but I am too much of a klutz. If it's not arthritis it's nerve issues from cubital tunnel syndrome that makes me drop things. I'd be too afraid of it eventually shattering in the sink or all over my pebble "tile" bathroom floor. I remembered the company. It's SKS Bottle & Packaging, Inc. They've got tons of cool stuff on their site. If you've never seen it, it's worth taking a look at: https://www.sks-bottle.com/AmenityContainers.html

I thought of doing that, but I am too much of a klutz. If it's not arthritis it's nerve issues from cubital tunnel syndrome that makes me drop things. I'd be too afraid of it eventually shattering in the sink or all over my pebble "tile" bathroom floor. I remembered the company. It's SKS Bottle & Packaging, Inc. They've got tons of cool stuff on their site. If you've never seen it, it's worth taking a look at: https://www.sks-bottle.com/AmenityContainers.html
that site is awesome! i've been buying glass bottles & metal tins at specialty bottle which is another great one. gotta love the internet!

i think you're going to start selling your pit paste. "if it's strong enough for an agent it's strong enough for you." *cue james bond music* ;)

Would these little glitter shakers work T? Mad Oils is doing free shipping & mica sale thru Aug 15.
http://www.madoils.com/collections/containers-supplies/products/shaker-container

No, but thanks for checking. I've ordered a dozen 8 oz powder bottles with the twist caps. I think you just pop the cap on the bottle and then you just give a half twist to open it. They look a lot like baby powder bottles. I'm going to make some powder with arrowroot, cornstarch and a bit of baking soda then add some clove and peppermint (or lemongrass) to it. I have no idea if it will work, but it sounds kind of refreshing. I might try rice flour.. I haven't really thought it through yet. I'll probably try rice flour before I try cornstarch. I don't like cornstarch. It feels weird.

No, but thanks for checking. I've ordered a dozen 8 oz powder bottles with the twist caps. I think you just pop the cap on the bottle and then you just give a half twist to open it. They look a lot like baby powder bottles. I'm going to make some powder with arrowroot, cornstarch and a bit of baking soda then add some clove and peppermint (or lemongrass) to it. I have no idea if it will work, but it sounds kind of refreshing. I might try rice flour.. I haven't really thought it through yet. I'll probably try rice flour before I try cornstarch. I don't like cornstarch. It feels weird.

They are kinda tiny . . . might be better for travel than home. Do you have an asian grocery close by? If the rice flour doesn't work out, I've scored some tapoica powder there for cheap.

From my experience I think you will be happier with spice jars. The powder I make from arrowroot and baking soda with EOs will not flow like commercial powder as they have flow agents added to them. I use old plastic spice jars with the larger holes in them and they have worked out good for me. I fought with bottles with smaller holes in them early on and quickly moved to the bigger ones.

Never tried an official powder bottle though so please share your thoughts on them when you get them. :)

Batch #1 of pit lotion is in the books. Even if it's not an effective deodorant it still smells and feels nice . . . used orange, patchouli & clove combo.

I made v2 of the pit lotion with BB deodorant additive today. I'll be sending out samples to a few guinea pigs who volunteered to blind test both versions and provide feedback. I'll try to update the thread with results in case anyone besides me was on the fence about purchasing the BB additive and wondering if it was worth the money. Also came across this video earlier today about using roasted alum to make a stick deodorant and thought folks might be interested.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4JltsX9gtc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4JltsX9gtc[/ame]

I made v2 of the pit lotion with BB deodorant additive today. I'll be sending out samples to a few guinea pigs who volunteered to blind test both versions and provide feedback. I'll try to update the thread with results in case anyone besides me was on the fence about purchasing the BB additive and wondering if it was worth the money. Also came across this video earlier today about using roasted alum to make a stick deodorant and thought folks might be interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4JltsX9gtc

I played it twice just to listen to her voice. I don't know why I find accents so fascinating and entertaining. Now I'm trying to talk like her. Got any French or Russian videos to post? Maybe some German or Norwegian?

Theresa, I thought I'd let you know how extra impressed I've been with the babassu over this past weekend. My vehicle conked out on me the other day just after noontime as I was driving home from running some errands, and I spent about 50 minutes out by the side of the road in our blistering 110F weather waiting for the tow tuck to show up. Thankfully, it couldn't have conked out in a better place as there were some protective, shady trees nearby to sit under, and it also helped that the last errand I ran was to pick up some In & Out burgers and drinks for myself and my son and my nephew who were with me, but it was still quite the sweat-fest, and we were all quite drippy/glisteny by the time the tow guy showed up......... buuuut my pits stayed smelling pretty. :D Aaaaand they stayed smelling pretty the rest of the day without me having to re-apply anything. :thumbup:

IrishLass :)

I played it twice just to listen to her voice. I don't know why I find accents so fascinating and entertaining. Now I'm trying to talk like her. Got any French or Russian videos to post? Maybe some German or Norwegian?

I'm actually banking on some kind of Asian accent, more specifically a South Asian accent. Looking through a few other videos, she seems well versed with Ayuvedic herbs but I don't want to use that as an excuse to back up my thoughts of her accent. In any case, yes her accent is cool and but it doesn't sound like French, Italian, German, Russian or Norwegian but I haven't been exposed to that many dialects to say for sure.

I'm actually banking on some kind of Asian accent, more specifically a South Asian accent. Looking through a few other videos, she seems well versed with Ayuvedic herbs but I don't want to use that as an excuse to back up my thoughts of her accent. In any case, yes her accent is cool and but it doesn't sound like French, Italian, German, Russian or Norwegian but I haven't been exposed to that many dialects to say for sure.

Oh, yes. I think she's from Southeast Asia, too. I was wondering if there were any videos with people speaking English with definite French, German, Russian or Norwegian accents. I find those to be fun to listen to, too. Actually, any accent is fun for me. I always try to mimic them. I have ever since I was a little kid. I don't have a distinctive accent that puts me in any particular regional category. I pick up accents and colloquialisms easily and have a bit of a blend of everywhere I've ever lived or everyone I've ever spent a great deal of time with. I have a friend from Portugal. You can tell when I've spent any time with her, I develop a slight Portuguese accent. It's purely unintentional, but it happens.

Oh, yes. I think she's from Southeast Asia, too. I was wondering if there were any videos with people speaking English with definite French, German, Russian or Norwegian accents. I find those to be fun to listen to, too. Actually, any accent is fun for me. I always try to mimic them. I have ever since I was a little kid. I don't have a distinctive accent that puts me in any particular regional category. I pick up accents and colloquialisms easily and have a bit of a blend of everywhere I've ever lived or everyone I've ever spent a great deal of time with. I have a friend from Portugal. You can tell when I've spent any time with her, I develop a slight Portuguese accent. It's purely unintentional, but it happens.

I'm like that too but it's moreso from baeing able to distinguish a N&S Carolinian or a Georgian from an old school Floridian before those Yuppies turned it into a major resort state. It was the only way NOT to insult any Southerner from such states.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure you have an accent. Mine ranges from Upstate NY still. (WHY?)

teresa, i was just reading about lemongrass EO from the lady who runs the learning about EOs site and she says lemongrass, due to its chemical family (aldehydes), needs to be used at low dilution and is strongly recommended for short-term use. i know we always have to use the dilution recommended by the company where we bought the EO, but i hadn't heard before it's best for short-term use. i checked aromaweb and they do say it isn't a good one for people with hypersensitive, diseased or damaged skin. they don't say anything about short-term use though. it is a known dermal irritant but that sounds like it usually happens immediately if i'm understanding correctly. since i recommended this EO to you for a deo i definitely wanted to mention this. it was used in the deo recipe in a book i have. i didn't see anything about short-term use when i looked it up previously, but i'd hate for you or anyone else to have a problem. i did just see on webmd it says lemongrass is possibly safe to use topically on a short-term basis. i wanted to let you know as you may want to reconsider using it on a daily basis. ack! sorry, i didn't know about this when i recommended it to you for a deo.

teresa, i was just reading about lemongrass EO from the lady who runs the learning about EOs site and she says lemongrass, due to its chemical family (aldehydes), needs to be used at low dilution and is strongly recommended for short-term use. i know we always have to use the dilution recommended by the company where we bought the EO, but i hadn't heard before it's best for short-term use. i checked aromaweb and they do say it isn't a good one for people with hypersensitive, diseased or damaged skin. they don't say anything about short-term use though. it is a known dermal irritant but that sounds like it usually happens immediately if i'm understanding correctly. since i recommended this EO to you for a deo i definitely wanted to mention this. it was used in the deo recipe in a book i have. i didn't see anything about short-term use when i looked it up previously, but i'd hate for you or anyone else to have a problem. i did just see on webmd it says lemongrass is possibly safe to use topically on a short-term basis. i wanted to let you know as you may want to reconsider using it on a daily basis. ack! sorry, i didn't know about this when i recommended it to you for a deo.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it further. Right now I'm testing doriettefarm's pit lotion. So far, the red is working well. I'll switch to the blue starting tomorrow and see if that one works as well.

Received some Babassu from the vendor you recommended TeresaT thank you for the suggestion, they were a pleasure to work with.

About 3 days ago I mixed up a small batch of Arrowroot and baking soda, when it was done I matched the dry volume with Babassu and added the mix of EOs I noted earlier. Cooled it in the fridge taking it out every few minutes and whipped it with a wisk, it took on the consistency of a whipped body butter. Plopped it in a container and here we go. Over night it got harder than Superman's chest, so much for the whipped texture. The powder is nicely suspended in the blob I have and a gentle rub with a couple of fingers easily produces enough to apply as needed. So far it has been working better than the powder alone. Tomorrow starts the work week and the true test.

Received some Babassu from the vendor you recommended TeresaT thank you for the suggestion, they were a pleasure to work with.

About 3 days ago I mixed up a small batch of Arrowroot and baking soda, when it was done I matched the dry volume with Babassu and added the mix of EOs I noted earlier. Cooled it in the fridge taking it out every few minutes and whipped it with a wisk, it took on the consistency of a whipped body butter. Plopped it in a container and here we go. Over night it got harder than Superman's chest, so much for the whipped texture. The powder is nicely suspended in the blob I have and a gentle rub with a couple of fingers easily produces enough to apply as needed. So far it has been working better than the powder alone. Tomorrow starts the work week and the true test.

LMBO!! That is hilarious! Yeah, babassu gets rock hard when you put it in the fridge. It would probably have kept its nice whipped texture on the counter, even if it got hot. I've had my babassu & lemongrass in a tiny condiment container in the bathroom and it stays soft. Not lotion soft, but not whipped butter consistency either. I'll bet if I added some arrowroot or other starch to it, that would help keep it firm.

Keep us posted. I never thought to use equal volume of powder to oil. I'm used to weighing everything. I was thinking of doing 1:4 ration of powder to oil. So let me know how your equal volume does.

Back