Need help with colours!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
I've made about 6 batches of CP soap so far (still pretty new at this) and none of them have had any colour added. I've found that with the crazy FO's I've been using, colour isn't even needed because they've been turning crazy colours all on their own (grr!)

Anyway, I finally made a nice successful WHITE batch of soap that I would like to make in the future and colour. I've been checking out different types of colouring online (mica, oxides, etc.) but I'm finding them kinda confusing. I saw a pink oxide that said it actually turned a blueish-purple. Agh, I don't want to have to deal with "guessing" what colours my soap is going turn. I've already had a lot of colour surprises!!

I would like to find some easy colouring that actually makes the soap the colour it says it will. ;) I know different recipes can cause colour to react differently, but with a plain white soap recipe, I shouldn't have any issues, right?

I have a candy cane FO that I have tested and the soap stays white. I'm looking for a nice bright candy cane red colour that I can add to it. I'm also looking for a "Christmas green" colour, a lilac/purple colour, and a pale yellow colour. If I can find some "easy" colours I'll get a lot more than just this.

Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for, and where I can get it online?

Thanks!!!

ETA: I just read that some people use melted CRAYONS to colour their soap? Do people really do this?

I just started to use colors, ultramarines and oxides, to color my soap. I found, thanks to someone on the forum, that it is really easy to do. They recommended to mix the pigments in a zipper bag with some glycerin and mush it with your fingers. It provides very good color and you mix it depending on the color that you want. I cut the corner of the bag and then drip it into the soap which provides me with a great deal of control. This was the least expensive way to create color since the powder goes forever.

mjmccauley said:
I just started to use colors, ultramarines and oxides, to color my soap. I found, thanks to someone on the forum, that it is really easy to do. They recommended to mix the pigments in a zipper bag with some glycerin and mush it with your fingers. It provides very good color and you mix it depending on the color that you want. I cut the corner of the bag and then drip it into the soap which provides me with a great deal of control. This was the least expensive way to create color since the powder goes forever.

Wow, that does seem like a good idea. Thanks!!

pigment

i got a ton of little 1/2 oz jars at hobby lobby which i added a little canola oil, then mixed my pigments and micas in making a pudding-like consistancy. makes it easy to add just a dab at a time, and the little jars are easy to store and last a long time.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Can anyone tell me where they order their colours from? And if they are true to their colour?

I have seen certain colours on different websites that have 'small print' saying they turn a *different* colour in soap. That's what's confusing me!

Thanks! :)

Also, any info on using melted crayons for colour? I know this sounds pretty cheap, but I happen to have a TON of crayons around, and am just making soap for me and my hubby right now anyway.

I tried it tonight with just a few little crayon shavings, and it gave me some really good colour!

I use brambleberry.com's high ph Lab Colors. They're in liquid form & very easy to use!!! There's a HUGE choice of colors.

Back