Obsessed with Coconut Milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy2428

Reaction score
Finally! Once my lanolin arrives, I think I've found my "it" recipe. I needed more bubbles w/out losing my conditioning factor for my "fragile skin" recipe. Coconut milk/coconut water combo was my solution. So obsessed with this that I want to make my own and freeze it. I only plan to use in my soap and my question is should I add a preservative before freezing? The pH for coconut; cocomilk is between 6.10-7.00 so I have plenty of options, but is it necessary? It's a messy job so I'd like to make as much as my poor freezer can take, and I am estimating it would be stored for 6 months. My thanks in advance.

I don't see why you'd need preservative. I make and freeze my own almond milk(for soaping and drinking) all of the time and after months it's still safe to drink.

I can't give you a definitive answer, but I can give you some of my own experience. I don't add preservative to mine. I've stored batches of homemade coconut milk in my freezer, longest being around 3 months old. Upon thawing it out, it smelled fresh and tasted fine. I haven't had one go longer, but being frozen, I can't see it getting worse with just another 3 months.

And I agree on the coconut milk. I use it in every soap I make. I even made a hp shaving soap last weekend with coconut milk. Turned out really nice.

Thanks for your help - I'll do my first batch w/out preservative and keep a pound in the back of the freezer and check monthly.

Dixie - I'm trying to make my own because of the unnecessary ingredients in most of the supermarket stuff I've bought - Nothing harmful, I just don't think it needs to be there - guar gum, citric acid, sorbitol have been the most common that I can remember. Multiple ways to make. To make straight Coco water use the green coconuts only - the brown ones have little juice. Shake in the store to check for juice. Brown ones for coco milk - little juice but these have the meat in them. Lots of you-tube vids out there. Now I haven't done it yet.... Looks pretty simple, but then so did the videos on refinishing wood floors:shifty:. Doing color testing today on my base recipe so next week I will be banging coconuts and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your help - I'll do my first batch w/out preservative and keep a pound in the back of the freezer and check monthly.

Dixie - I'm trying to make my own because of the unnecessary ingredients in most of the supermarket stuff I've bought - Nothing harmful, I just don't think it needs to be there - guar gum, citric acid, sorbitol have been the most common that I can remember. Multiple ways to make. To make straight Coco water use the green coconuts only - the brown ones have little juice. Shake in the store to check for juice. Brown ones for coco milk - little juice but these have the meat in them. Lots of you-tube vids out there. Now I haven't done it yet.... Looks pretty simple, but then so did the videos on refinishing wood floors:shifty:. Doing color testing today on my base recipe so next week I will be banging coconuts and let you know how it goes.

See if you can find Goya brand coconut milk. It's just coconut, water, and a preservative. It's my fall back when I don't feel like smashing coconuts. :)

Thanks Beachy I'll check my Meijer store in what I call the "Ethnic" isle. I believe I've seen other Goya products there. I'm kinda liking the idea of banging coconuts - no NFL fine for coconut concussion

Citric acid is just going to add to the superfat, sorbitol (sugar alcohol) will add bubbles. Guar gum is the only slight trouble maker since it is a thickner. For me it is not worth the trouble. I add in citric acid for cheleating and sugar for bubbles

I use it to make shampoo. Usually I process two coconuts and freeze the milk. It stays in the freezer ~4 months, and when making shampoo I sometimes drink it. It tastes good. You can maybe vacuum seal it if you want to store it longer term.

Here is a simple one Dixie...you can also shred it by hand if you dont want to go the blender route.

Can use hot or cold water

http://nourishedkitchen.com/how-to-make-coconut-milk/

Since my first fiasco making animal milk soap, I gave coconut milk a whirl, and Im hooked..all my soaps will now be made with coconut milk, because I don't get that awful ammonia and/or baby spit up smell, and my soaps all have a nice fresh smell before adding any FO. And I agree with JB, if you don't want to make your own, look for the Goya brand..its got the least amount of additives.

Last edited:
Finally! Once my lanolin arrives, I think I've found my "it" recipe. I needed more bubbles w/out losing my conditioning factor for my "fragile skin" recipe. Coconut milk/coconut water combo was my solution. .

My question is, is there some substance in the coconut milk that adds bubbles, or is it just the coconut oil present in the milk?

As for bubbles, Im thinking the natural sugar and of course natural coconut oil are the bubbly ingredients.

I went crazy earlier apparently..opened another can of Goya coconut milk, and ate almost all the cream out of it {bad Jani..:lol:} and then for giggles, grabbed a dab of it and smeared it on one of my hands...amazingly it felt like a really nice lotion..and my hand is 'still' baby soft where I rubbed it in..

Maybe Im just weird, or crazy..or both {prolly}...but I like to experiment :lol:

I'm positive it's the coconut milk that added the extra bubbles. I'd made the same recipe with just distilled water and there was no comparison.

Latest posts

Back